[Jan 28] Stock Quotes & Charts Page for ThrottleLauncher v1.3
After searching high and low for a simple but eye-appealing stock quote and stock chart utility that I could use with ThrottleLauncher, I finally gave up and put one together myself. I call it ThrottleStocks.
I would like to acknowledge APBilbo for creating ThrottleLauncher. It ROCKS!
I would like to also acknowledge the "PocketStock Center" work over on TreoCentral.com which helped give me the idea.
V1.3 (28 Jan 09)
- changed chart source to www.marketwatch.com
- added week, month, 3month, 6month, 1year, and 2year stock charts
- added ability to edit stocks you've already entered into the database.
If you are updating from a previous version then you will need to edit each of the stocks in your portfolio and change the chart stock symbol from the old Google one to the new www.marketwatch.com
V1.2 (26 Jan 09)
- fixed path to Mortscript and stock download scheduling
- tried to improve error handling with stock downloading
1. You need ThrottleLauncher 0.9.6 installed (obviously)
2. The installation instructions below assume you are using APBilbo's TouchFlo3D theme that he distributes with ThrottleLauncher
3. You need Mortscript installed
4. You have the Segui fonts installed in your Windows\Font directory. If you don't you can find the fonts attached here. Unzip and place in windows\font directory.
1. Extract the attached zip file into your ThrottleLauncher\Setups\TouchFlo3D directory.
2. Start ThrottleConfig and Configure TouchFlo3D. On the new Stocks page choose whether you want the "Advanced" or "Basic" layout.
3. Enable the new "Stock" page in the TouchFlo3D config. Save and reload ThrottleLauncher
4. When ThrottleLauncher restarts you'll see a blank Stock page with buttons along the bottom. The first thing you'll need to do is click on the Settings button (it looks like a gear). This will open up the stocks config menu where you can perform the following;
a) Setup stock quote download schedule. Set the start and end time to download quotes, and the interval in minutes. Note that stocks will only be downloaded on week-days.
b) Enabled/Disable Stock Intra-Day chart downloads. If you are using the "Advanced" layout in ThrottleLauncher you'll need to Enable intra-day chart downloading. If you just want the basic layout you can leave chart downloading disabled and save on data downloading
c) Add stock. Here you'll be asked for the stock name, and the stock symbols. Note that currently it asks for both the stock symbol on Yahoo and on Google. The reason for this is that the quotes are downloaded from Yahoo while the charts are downloaded from Google and the stock symbols are not always the same on both sites. You'll be asked how many stocks you own and how much you paid for them...you can leave this blank as currently this data is not used.
d) Delete stock. Enter the stock symbol and it will delete it from the database.
e) Edit stock. Enter the stock symbol of the stock you want to edit...this will let you then modify its name and stock symbols.
f) Force chart refresh on exit. By default the 1month to 2 year stock charts are only downloaded once per day. If you select this option it will force an update of all the stock charts.
g) Exit. When you exit the setup it will automatically start a download of the stock data.
5. After the stock data has downloaded you will likely need to restart throttlelauncher in order for the stock page to display correctly.
This is a work in progress. The known issues are;
1. When stock charts are downloading there is a progress window that appears. I don't know yet how to get rid of this...but am looking into it.
2. ThrottleLauncher is currently unable to have a dynamic list. Currently the stocks.xml file is hardcoded to have 9 stocks displayed on the page. If you have more or less stocks in your portfolio you may want to edit the stocks.xml file and adjust the file accordingly. Look for the text in="1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9"
and add or remove numbers accordingly. Note that there are two spots in the xml file where this is used. Hopefully this will get fixed in a future release of ThrottleLauncher
3. The stock tabs along the right side of the screen (in advanced layout) do not update their color correctly. This is a TL bug that is said to be fixed in the next TL release
4. Clicking on the stock chart is suppose to take you to the yahoo web-page for the stock. This doesn't work correctly at the moment.