Make a device cradle for a penny...

Search This thread

dacooperider

Jul 18, 2007
I'm still laughing at myself...check it out...a large binder clip makes a great display stand with charging functionality. Just pull off the squeezing clips after you clamp down on the USB plug. It's actually pretty stable too. I'm sure you could even velcro it to your desk for more stability :)

ATT00001.jpg

ATT00002.jpg

mkalbouneh

Oct 13, 2007
nice, now if only my girlfriend would let me make a hole in the desk to make it look built-in!!
:)

ktwildchild

Jun 7, 2006
Music City
As clever as it is,... be prepared to find a replacement socket for your phone after a while. The connector can not handle the stress of supporting it's own weight for very long.

You should try to find a way to support the phone along with the plug-in.

This is, however, a good start to a generic cradle.

Fun find!

extensive

Mar 4, 2007
As clever as it is,... be prepared to find a replacement socket for your phone after a while. The connector can not handle the stress of supporting it's own weight for very long.

You should try to find a way to support the phone along with the plug-in.

This is, however, a good start to a generic cradle.

Fun find!

the phone rests on the clip... what you talking about?

extensive

Mar 4, 2007
thats what i mean... the front and back of mine rests on the clip. i have the rubberized snap case on so maybe my fitment is different.

grypho

Jan 17, 2007
I have just bought the clip and the "poor´s guy cradle"is just great! no problems here. Great idea!

X2D

Jan 1, 2009
Thinking outside the box. Great idea. As far as wear and tear, I think as long as you make sure you are putting the weight on the paper clip and not the device I wouldn't think there would be any problems even long term? I would go the extra length to cover the metal around the clip with something, wouldn't be hard, I don't like anything metal touching my phone. Heck, I haven't even set my phone down on a hard surface yet in fear the back diamond points will wear. :D

LcBoi

Nov 9, 2008
My only question right now is: I wonder how good it would work if I clipped in the dongle so I can have earphones connected for radio, and still charge it through ac, hmm and what would happen if you plug in the usb cable to the side of the dongle? Would you still be able to access it from a computer while its charging through ac or no?

norkoastal

Dec 7, 2007
Bay Area
Just did this mod.. Works great... Using the "handles" squeezed into the base works to stabilize the phone better when pulling it off the charging station :D. I will need to find some simple padding to rest the weight of the phone since it floats a bit over the clip..