5,596,431 Members 40,074 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to unlock your G1.. for free

Tip us?

brandenk
Old
Thanks Meter 52
This is great if you are a T-mobile customer................

...........for the rest of you, follow my guide here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ht=walkthrough
GS3 ← Evo 3D ← Evo 4G ← Nexus One ← MyTouch ← G1 ← HTC TyTN

neoobs
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 10
You don't have to be a T-mobile customer. I just explained this.

Please stop spreading around that people have to pay, they don't have to.

DON'T PAY TO HAVE IT UNLOCKED, T-MOBILE WILL DO IT FREE!

brandenk
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Well I tried for a week with no success so hopefully you guys have more luck than I did. T-mobile told me you need to be a customer for 3 months in good standing with plans to travel internationally. This was also the same problem I ran into 2 years ago with my Hermes with at&t.
GS3 ← Evo 3D ← Evo 4G ← Nexus One ← MyTouch ← G1 ← HTC TyTN

otto888
Old
Thanks Meter 44
do you HAVE to have the last 4 #s of the main account holder's ssn? As im not the main account holder,and he wont unlock it.

ApexPredatorBoids
Old
Thanks Meter 74
If you're in any kind of hurry it might just be worth dropping $16.99 to buy a code. My unlock request was submitted to HTC from T-Mo about 6 days ago and I'm still waiting. Gotta love a well-oiled machine..
Current Device: Virgin Mobile HTC Evo V
-S-Off
-Hboot 1.04
-4EXT Recovery

otto888
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Just called 611,you do need to be an authorised user,which i am not.

haykuro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
FAQ:
Q: Do you have to be a T-Mobile customer to do this unlock?
A: Yes. T-Mobile's contract states that it will only do the unlock for you if you are a member with them for 3 months, and are in good standing. This is to prevent losing customers.

Q: Do you need to be the account holder?
A: No. You need the last 4 digits to the account holders social security number (a standard T-Mobile customer support feature), and then you have provision to unlock the phone yourself. This is, mainly, to prevent theft.

Q: This is taking to long!
A: T-Mobile will normally take a MAXIMUM of up to 2 weeks to return the unlock code. I've heard reports of instant over-the-phone unlocks, and have heard the worse scenario being 2 weeks (as mentioned).

Q: Why not just buy one online?
A: Why would you buy something, when you can easily do it for free? Stop being lazy!

Q: I am not a T-Mobile customer!
A: You can either find a friend who uses T-Mobile, or call up HTC and have them unlock it for you. I've read around and calling the factory is a bit more of a hassle, but it is legally possible. I have not tried this yet, but I can assure you, from prior experience, this works fine with Samsung devices

haykuro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandenk View Post
This is great if you are a T-mobile customer................

...........for the rest of you, follow my guide here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ht=walkthrough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandenk View Post
Well I tried for a week with no success so hopefully you guys have more luck than I did. T-mobile told me you need to be a customer for 3 months in good standing with plans to travel internationally. This was also the same problem I ran into 2 years ago with my Hermes with at&t.
This thread acknowledges this website you are offering already, we mention that it is NOT a solution ANYONE wants.

Knowledge is free, and this is a concept that you should understand.

You are on a community, using a modded/hacked device. What if we made you pay for those mods? What if we weren't open and didn't feel like just giving you information? Maybe we should have charged you a small fee of $10.
The Following User Says Thank You to haykuro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hmepas
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoobs View Post
You don't have to be a T-mobile customer. I just explained this.

Please stop spreading around that people have to pay, they don't have to.

DON'T PAY TO HAVE IT UNLOCKED, T-MOBILE WILL DO IT FREE!
Could you help me then, I live in Russia I got my G1 shipped by other guy, who ask his fella to send the phone. I don't know the way it finally get here. But it's locked and in the box I even have T-mobile sim card. What's the instruction for me to unlock it thru t-mobile? I suppose I am a customer since I have sim-card =) But i have no indetifies and sim card itself not working in roaming which i am in, so i even don't know my own number. So what's the steps for me? Which e-mail to mail to? Which info provide? IMEI?

Karolis
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsandros View Post
i rang up t-mobile (UK) and they said they charge 15 to have it unlocked!
Interesting, as I have only paid them 10 for the same procedure. What do they base the charge on?

Alos the advantage of using paid service to unlock the phone is that you get it done instantly where as with T-Mobile you have to wait up to 28 days for them to mail the code. At least in the UK.