Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,914 Members 50,078 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android Browser Bookmarks?

Tip us?

nickwinn
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Android Browser Bookmarks?

Does anybody here know where the android browser bookmarks are stored on the file system? I'm hoping to keep a backup of my bookmarks so I don't need to go thru the hassle of entering all my favorite sites each time I have to wipe my phone!

thanks in advance

short/y
Old
Thanks Meter 57
They're stored in a database in the browser's data directory. Check http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=199 -- it gives you the command to use to retrieve them from the database, i.e.

sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.browser/databases/browser.db "SELECT * FROM bookmarks;"

You can also use the My Backup app (available from the Market) to back them up.

nickwinn
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not really familiar with sqlite, more of a mysql guy personally

The bookmarks table holds the browser history as well.

foxtrickle
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Bookmarks backup

You should check out MyBackup on the Market. It's a free app that will backup your bookmarks (plus a lot of other things) to your SD card. It works quite well. The restore feature is also very simple.

speoples20
Old
Thanks Meter 12
There is also my bookmarks as well that allows you to import your bookmarks to your phone from your desktop browser.

BobbyHill
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by speoples20 View Post
There is also my bookmarks as well that allows you to import your bookmarks to your phone from your desktop browser.
What I'd like to see (and I can't believe wasn't included in the OS) is automatic syncing of your Android bookmarks with Google Bookmarks. (or ones labeled as mobile in Google Bookmarks)

jesseowen
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I had this frustration as well (not being able to sync or backup my bookmarks) so I finally just found a simple website where I could save all of my bookmarks, then I set it as the browser home page. There are tons of websites out there that allow you to store your bookmarks, but the one that I chose was murl.com.

gottifour
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Since I use Firefox I use foxmarks. Which is one of the best programs I have ever used. It sycs all of your bookmarks through firefox on as many computers as you want. They have a mobile site you can bookmark in your browser or steel bookmarks and access all of them. Not perfect but better then nothing.

kathi17
Old
(Last edited by kathi17; 28th January 2009 at 03:43 PM.) Reason: more info
Thanks Meter 0
I use Foxmarks too, and I love it! Every time I use a different computer, I just sync my bookmarks, and everything stays the same on each machine!

Now when I use my phone, I can also just go to Foxmarks and click on any bookmark there to go to a website.

BobbyHill
Old
Thanks Meter 24
No FireFox here. (Work doesn't allow it for some reason.)

I use the Google Toolbar on both my desktop and notebook pcs at home and at the office to keep track of my bookmarks. I'm still surprised that it doesn't doesn't sync with android though. Seems like about the only Google thing that doesn't at this point.