Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Android Studio Reaches Release Candidate Status

Android app developers have a few options when comes to Android IDEs. One of the most … more

Connect ALL THE THINGS with Xender

Smartphones, with all of their all connectivity options courtesy of OEMs, can easily connect themselves … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Android Browser Bookmarks?

OP nickwinn

26th January 2009, 06:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 0

31 posts
More
Does anybody here know where the android browser bookmarks are stored on the file system? I'm hoping to keep a backup of my bookmarks so I don't need to go thru the hassle of entering all my favorite sites each time I have to wipe my phone!

thanks in advance
26th January 2009, 06:47 PM   |  #2  
Flag Silly-con Valley
Thanks Meter: 58

619 posts
More
They're stored in a database in the browser's data directory. Check http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=199 -- it gives you the command to use to retrieve them from the database, i.e.

sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.browser/databases/browser.db "SELECT * FROM bookmarks;"

You can also use the My Backup app (available from the Market) to back them up.
26th January 2009, 06:58 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Atlanta, GA

31 posts
More
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not really familiar with sqlite, more of a mysql guy personally

The bookmarks table holds the browser history as well.
28th January 2009, 04:01 AM   |  #4  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 1

128 posts
More
Bookmarks backup
You should check out MyBackup on the Market. It's a free app that will backup your bookmarks (plus a lot of other things) to your SD card. It works quite well. The restore feature is also very simple.
28th January 2009, 04:04 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 12

1,215 posts
More
There is also my bookmarks as well that allows you to import your bookmarks to your phone from your desktop browser.
28th January 2009, 06:48 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 24

259 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speoples20

There is also my bookmarks as well that allows you to import your bookmarks to your phone from your desktop browser.

What I'd like to see (and I can't believe wasn't included in the OS) is automatic syncing of your Android bookmarks with Google Bookmarks. (or ones labeled as mobile in Google Bookmarks)
28th January 2009, 03:51 PM   |  #7  
Good Old Idaho

20 posts
More
I had this frustration as well (not being able to sync or backup my bookmarks) so I finally just found a simple website where I could save all of my bookmarks, then I set it as the browser home page. There are tons of websites out there that allow you to store your bookmarks, but the one that I chose was murl.com.
28th January 2009, 04:06 PM   |  #8  
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 9

229 posts
More
Since I use Firefox I use foxmarks. Which is one of the best programs I have ever used. It sycs all of your bookmarks through firefox on as many computers as you want. They have a mobile site you can bookmark in your browser or steel bookmarks and access all of them. Not perfect but better then nothing.
28th January 2009, 04:41 PM   |  #9  
Flag Stonington, Maine

315 posts
More
I use Foxmarks too, and I love it! Every time I use a different computer, I just sync my bookmarks, and everything stays the same on each machine!

Now when I use my phone, I can also just go to Foxmarks and click on any bookmark there to go to a website.
Last edited by kathi17; 28th January 2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: more info
28th January 2009, 04:51 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 24

259 posts
No FireFox here. (Work doesn't allow it for some reason.)

I use the Google Toolbar on both my desktop and notebook pcs at home and at the office to keep track of my bookmarks. I'm still surprised that it doesn't doesn't sync with android though. Seems like about the only Google thing that doesn't at this point.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread