Repairing Master Boot Records

Search This thread

sguerra923

Oct 7, 2008
Buddha
Hey guys trying to fix a friends computer and he got a virus that messed up his MBR. I was trying to boot the windows XP disk into recovery however it throws errors before I could reach the prompt to hit R to repair the system. I was going to try to boot a startup disk however he doesn't have a floppy drive and I was trying to figure out how to boot from a flash drive but that was hard to follow.. any advice or tips how to fix/clean his MBR? Thanks!

pegleg007

Feb 22, 2009
Hirens

Search the torrents for a Hirens boot CD
Now about version 9.6
Burn and boot on the system with the bad MBR.
Lots of tools to fix this......... and that ............... and the other.

Keep the CD its a valuable tool

Good Luck
Pegleg

sguerra923

Oct 7, 2008
Buddha
Search the torrents for a Hirens boot CD
Now about version 9.6
Burn and boot on the system with the bad MBR.
Lots of tools to fix this......... and that ............... and the other.

Keep the CD its a valuable tool

Good Luck
Pegleg

I'm not to familiar with searching torrents.. but ill try later when I get home from work.. is there free program that will help repair the MBR that I can download online?

pegleg007

Feb 22, 2009
You need some boot device

Can you boot to DOS on your friend PC
if so

Run
FDISK /MBR

This write a new boot rec

J3ssy

Oct 1, 2008
or you boot from vista or xp installation cd and runnign the system repair console and use there the fix mbr command

sguerra923

Oct 7, 2008
Buddha
Can you boot to DOS on your friend PC
if so

Run
FDISK /MBR

This write a new boot rec

Anyone know how to make a dos startup disk not on a floppy but on a CD... cause he doesn't have a floppy drive.. and the XP disk doesn't allow to get to the Repair option or allows me to format.. I've been searching online about images but doesn't seem to work.. :(

dirlan2001

Dec 22, 2007
Hamme
Anyone know how to make a dos startup disk not on a floppy but on a CD... cause he doesn't have a floppy drive.. and the XP disk doesn't allow to get to the Repair option or allows me to format.. I've been searching online about images but doesn't seem to work.. :(

Hi,

You could try to find an image of a bootdisk and put it on a USB-pendrive. In your BIOS set the bootdevice to USB, and check wether the USB settings allow to emulate a floppy.

:D

Dirk

kecido

Aug 1, 2006
Here you go:

Code:
http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

You'll find all the information you need to do the bootable cd by yourself right there.
Go grab an old copy of DOS (might be Win95, Win98 or WinME, all of them include a full copy of DOS, fdisk included) and repair your MBR just as pegleg007 says.
Be careful, this method applies to FAT partitions, if yours is NTFS, you might need newer tools to repair your MBR.

Last edited: