[SKIN] Morphgear 2.4.0.9 WVGA gamepad with Multi-Touch support (sorta...)

Search This thread

Dredd67

Feb 10, 2006
Pontarlier
Ever dreamed of playing those good old SNES and Genesis games with your Touch HD ? Your dream comes true !

Let me present to you my new skin:

WVGA-MT-Dredd67 v0.3

screen02flo.png

What you need:

- Morphgear 2.4.0.9. you can get it from here : http://www.spicypixel.com/web/page/morphgear/Download.aspx
- Some Morphgear modules (each emulator has to be bought separately)
- Some Roms (google for them, no roms here).
- My skin :D

Installation:

1) Extract the files in the zip and copy them directly into:
Code:
\Program files\Games\Morphgear\Skin[B]s[/B]
2) In Morphgear's global settings be sure to have:
* uncheked "Disable Full Screen"
* checked "Use Virtual Pad"
3) In Morphgear's SNES (exemple) settings be sure to select:
*Skin: Name: WVGA MT Pad v0.2 by Dredd67

Troubleshooting:

-If the skin doesn't appear is the skin list, removed all others skins that could have been placed there.
-If you start a rom and the Pad doesn't show, be sure to go full screen by pressing the center of the screen.

-I won't do the support specific to Morphgear, I assume you know how to use it or you are able to read the guides on Morphgear's website.

Advises:

This skin provides fake multi-touch support (See the release notes for details). To got it to work you need to press simultaneously two virtual buttons. And you need to be quite precise even if I have tried my best to build this skin as finger-friendly as possible. So for best game experience here is what I suggest:

- Lay down your HD on flat surface (I put it on my pouch on my desktop), the device is easier to manipulate this way.

- Unprecise pressing is OK as long as you don't expect multi-touch.

- For multi-touch to work, you need to position your fingers properly, use your indexes or even better, the tip of your indexes.

- Some games use unusual combinations which are probably not mapped (see release notes). I can't map them because of the calculated multi-touch principle and the space I have to layout the buttons.

- This skin is mainly designed for SNES games. You will have to edit the .txt file to make it work properly with other modules.

- Don't press between the DPAD and the buttons, this is the place where the hidden buttons are. Expect some unexpected moves if pressing there :D

Release notes:

03.03.2009 : First version.
04.03.2009 : v0.2 : New layout for better multi-touch support.

Buttons that are mapped:

A, B, X, Y, N, S, E, W, NE, NW, SE, SW.

Combinations that are mapped:

A+N, A+E, A+S, A+W, B+N, B+E, B+S, B+W

Advised settings for Morphgear for best performance

Global Settings:
- Driver: Auto
- Frame Rate statistics: Unchecked
- Disable Full screen: Unchecked
- Orientation: North

- Enable Sound: Unchecked

- Use Virtual Pad: Checked

SNES9x Settings:
- Screen Size: Autoscale
- Image smoothing: Unchecked

-Sound: Everything Unchecked

-Frame Skip: 2 (or 3 if the game really needs it)
-Auto Sync: Uncheked

With these settings you should get roughly between 55-60/60 fps :D

Additional information

You may be interested in reading this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=486268

This is where everything started, this skin is just a first result of our investigations. Now the principle should be generalized to any application if some devs want to give us a hand.

Just a mirror for those having trouble downloading:
http://rapidshare.com/files/211370608/Morphgear_Gamepad_fo_Touch_HD.zip

Last edited:

xr2i

Aug 1, 2008
Thanks a lot for this, I tried it and it works fine!
Great job!

Will it be possible to use it when the phone is horizontal one day?

Dredd67

Feb 10, 2006
Pontarlier
Thanks a lot for this, I tried it and it works fine!
Great job!

Will it be possible to use it when the phone is horizontal one day?

We are working on it, but it will be different application, because Morphgear's limitation doesn't allow this. :mad:

Look at the link at the end of the 1st post, this is where we are actually.

At my knowledge, it's very hard to have a vpad in landscape mode with Morphgear, because its hardcoded to pop-up UNDER the game screen, which means a few line of pixels...:(

spincycled

Mar 1, 2009
thanks for this!

tested on sonic 1 and 2 for mastersystem and super mario world for snes and works like a charm!

great work :D

Dredd67

Feb 10, 2006
Pontarlier
Hi
Why i only have a small control, how can i change it to bigger size?

thanks.

Ha ve you selected the right skin in your module's settings ?

can you make a VGA version Multi-Touch for the diamond ??

I could try, but I think it will be too small to be really usable.

What's the problem with the directory, I'm not sure what you are referring to ?

MrData

Feb 4, 2009
Nice work on the skin, thanks!

I only tested it on the SNES emulator, but I can't get the games to run properly on my HD. I tried changing all the video and audio settings, but it just runs very sluggish. Any ideas?

Dredd67

Feb 10, 2006
Pontarlier
Nice work on the skin, thanks!

I only tested it on the SNES emulator, but I can't get the games to run properly on my HD. I tried changing all the video and audio settings, but it just runs very sluggish. Any ideas?

Try to disable sound, fps stats, and screen smoothing which is a incredible performance drainer.

Note that it will never be as fast as on other devices, due to the lack of proper graphics drivers.

MrData

Feb 4, 2009
Try to disable sound, fps stats, and screen smoothing which is a incredible performance drainer.

Note that it will never be as fast as on other devices, due to the lack of proper graphics drivers.

Tried that already, I guess I can get an ok framerate with no sound, a tiny screensize and no smoothing, but where's the fun in that? :)

Besides, this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL2mUeR2KOQ

is clearly running morphgear at perfect framerate?