5,595,196 Members 45,885 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Developement] Computer App to Control Phone

Tip us?

tubaking182
Old
(Last edited by tubaking182; 13th March 2009 at 05:33 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
Smile [Developement] Computer App to Control Phone

i know we have a few applications that allow us to use our phone's screen and keyboard to control our computer, and while it is cool, it's just not something that i have a use for currently. i was wondering if there were any apps that you know of that allow me to have a window on my comp that is my home screen on my phone and control things on the phone from the comp. i hate when i am working on my themes and i get 100 texts and i have to go from using the comp it using the phone and back and forth. WM had several apps like that and i loved them when i was running windows but now i run linux(ubuntu 8.10) and i would love to be able to type texts and run apps on my phone while using the computer keyboard.

i have looked through the market and can't seem to find anything on there and i was hoping someone could point me to one elsewhere or if i missed one on the market. thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: txt keyevent.txt - [Click for QR Code] (2.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: txt Andcontrol.txt - [Click for QR Code] (9.9 KB, 57 views)
XDA has become a playground for morons and script kiddies

UnkzDomain
Old
Thanks Meter 4
That would be cool. A VNC Server has already been ported to iPhone, so it's probably not too difficult for someone who knows what they're doing (i.e, not me =P)

mannyb
Old
Thanks Meter 2
It would definitely be great to be able to type text messages and whatnot using the computer's keyboard and screen instead of that tiny little G1 keyboard.
Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it
--Manny Bianco

tubaking182
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
or if there are some commands i can run from adb shell that would work too, all i have been able to figure out how to do is play an mp3 on the phone by typing the command. cool but not what i would like.

tubaking182
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
alright, for those that care i have figured out how to start an app on the phone by using the adb shell commands, and i can even start to compose a text if i do it correctly

to start the messaging app you need to type in the adb shell(or android terminal but the point is to be able to do it from the comp

adb shell
am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.mms/com.android.mms.ui.ConversationList

the above line brings up the conversation list to allow you to choose a list, but i have yet to figure out how to atually pick a convo from that page

to bring up the compose message to start a new text type in the following

am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.mms/com.android.mms.ui.ComposeMessageActivity

from there i can input the number to send the message to but not what i want the text to say,

input text <string> #that inputs a single word and no more after the word text

so if i were to type
'input text hello android' my phone would act as if i had just typed hello, this also works on the home screen to search your contacts. i am working on in[utting more than one word and also choosing your conversation from the comp

UnkzDomain
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Cool! nice progress. Maybe other Android intents can be used...

tubaking182
Old
(Last edited by tubaking182; 7th March 2009 at 03:11 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
Default progress

i know i can start any app by knowing the commands for it now and typing it in. but for right now my main concern is getting a multi word string to appear in the text box. if i can get that then i just need to figure out how to attach "input keyevent 66" to it as well so it runs cleanly. key 66 is the enter key and i figured out several others along the way but i will list them later. i pulled the input file from the /system/bin directory and maybe someone else should have a look at it and figure out how to acheive multi word texts without placing "_" between all the words, cause right now that's where i'm at. i'm attaching the file for the guru's to take a look at. obviously it isn't saved as a .txt file on the phone but that's how i uploaded it to here.

CALLING THE ANDROID GURU'S TAKE A LOOK AT THIS

UnkzDomain
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Cool. Once you figure out a bunch of commands, I could try making a user interface for it as a project...

juangil
Old
Thanks Meter 102
just wanna drop this lines here, there is an app from motorola MPT Motorola Phone tools, and it does all that you want and more, the phone can be connected to the pc via USB or Bluetooth... you can send receive msg, phone calls, see and edit contacts, drop images, ringtones browse the files etc

kp126
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by juangil View Post
just wanna drop this lines here, there is an app from motorola MPT Motorola Phone tools, and it does all that you want and more, the phone can be connected to the pc via USB or Bluetooth... you can send receive msg, phone calls, see and edit contacts, drop images, ringtones browse the files etc
Im not sure if you know that your posting in a forum dedicated to the G1/android but MPT supports, as the name would suggest, motorola phones only.