5,606,530 Members 33,152 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

how difficult is it to make a custom ROM?

Tip us?

dahanist
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default how difficult is it to make a custom ROM?

Hi,
I am thinking of cooking my own ROM.
All I need to do is mixing two ROMs, nothing fancy.

Here is the situation I am in.
I am in Canada but I use my mother tongue a lot (most of my contacts are not in english).
So, I tried installing the Korean ROM from SKTELCOM.
However, there was a slight problem with the SMS (and possibly MMS but I don't use MMS so I am not sure) and internet/data (3G, Edge, etc, but I don't use data so I don't mind this bit - Wi-Fi is working).
The SK ROM uses a seperate application for SMS and the original MS SMS feature inside the message (where you can find your email accounts as well) is either disabled or removed.
And to use this application, I have to go through changing the formats of all contants I have.
Also, I can't use any SMS notifications that were made for the original SMS features (including the original WM notifications).
I am looking for a way to enable or istalling whatever to get the original SMS feature back.

So my question is,
Would it be possible to mix two ROMs, X1i-eng & SKTELCOM, to get basic phone features from X1i-eng and language and applications from SKTELCOM?
If so, could you help me do it?

I have read the tutorials for ROM cooking etc, but I am a little scared doing it.

If I were to go ahead and do it, should I base the SKTELCOM ROM and try to mix the phone features or should I base the ENG ROM and try to implement language and applications?

Any insights would be helpful.

Thanks.

rajikusu
Old
Thanks Meter 0
In your situation, you probably don't need to install the Korean ROM. Since you say that you need your contacts to be displayed which are in Korean, you could just install a Korean font on a WWE(English) ROM. On top of that, if you need to be able to input Korean, you will need the appropriate IME and SIPs. There are CAB installers that will do what I've said. I would search them for you but I'm feeling a bit lazy

dahanist
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the reply.
I know about the fonts..
But my main concern was the inputing part.
Where could I find IME and SIP for Korean input?
I've searched using "korean" but nothing much came up..

mouradaux
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default korean sms with UK OS

Hello,

I am facing a big problem, i just bought Xperia phone in Korea, then change the KR ROM into UK ROM, everything works well except the fact that i can't receive sms from abroad or sms using korean caracteres.

I would like to keep the OS in UK and be able to receive sms.

any solution? i checked on every messages posted, but no solution....

thanks in advance!!

Spixe1
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default update?

Hey dahanist, how's that ROM going? I'm in the same situation you are, so I'm hoping maybe you made some progress.