No registration required

Hard reset after flashing- myth or truth

OP nearlygod

6th April 2009, 12:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

425 posts
Hi,
just because i donīt understand why i should hardreset after a flash, i wanted to open a thread on this. Some people say you have to do it 2-3 times.
Because it doesnīt sound any logical to me i wanted to ask around, if anyone really has experienced a difference.
Maybe somebody adanced could even explain, if or if not this could do any difference.

If it finally does: When do you do it? Before Windows says it is going to do some adjustments and wants to softreset or after?

Thx in advance to help me clarifing this,

nearlygod
6th April 2009, 12:56 AM   |  #2  
Flag Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 9

986 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlygod

Hi,
just because i donīt understand why i should hardreset after a flash, i wanted to open a thread on this. Some people say you have to do it 2-3 times.
Because it doesnīt sound any logical to me i wanted to ask around, if anyone really has experienced a difference.
Maybe somebody adanced could even explain, if or if not this could do any difference.

If it finally does: When do you do it? Before Windows says it is going to do some adjustments and wants to softreset or after?

Thx in advance to help me clarifing this,

nearlygod

Yes,it is not logical...I agree with you...It's really stupid...I never had Hard Reset after flashing and I never had problems with ROMs...
6th April 2009, 01:14 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 64

381 posts
I disagree, only once have I NOT hard reset after flashing and the speed was slower, I ended up reflashing and hard resetting made it faster again!
6th April 2009, 01:18 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

425 posts
Ok, nice, we need a lot more people with a lot more experience in having hardresetted or not the same rom and tested it a lot.

Question: Isnīt flashing a rom the same as a hardreset? Purging all existing data and writing an image file?
I never had to "hardrest" my pc after writing an imagefile back on to it.

nearly
6th April 2009, 01:47 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 87

1,841 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pLUSpISTOL

I disagree, only once have I NOT hard reset after flashing and the speed was slower, I ended up reflashing and hard resetting made it faster again!

i second this. And it has happened more than once to me. You may not have a problem but har resetting assure you do not. Nothing worse than flashing and setting all those settings and realizing it is running slow...... then you start over.
6th April 2009, 01:52 AM   |  #6  
Flag crete
Thanks Meter: 24

527 posts
More
sometimes i do some not.never had problems either..
6th April 2009, 02:09 AM   |  #7  
Flag Cleveland

986 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlygod

Question: Isnīt flashing a rom the same as a hardreset? Purging all existing data and writing an image file?
I never had to "hardrest" my pc after writing an imagefile back on to it.

Yes,it is same process )))Why I have to do same thing 2 or more times))))please turn on your logic guys)))
6th April 2009, 04:44 AM   |  #8  
Flag The Woodlands, TX
Thanks Meter: 0

207 posts
More
you have to hard reset to clear out all of the stuff in storage. you only need to do it once though and you do it whenever. you have to do it because in order to save power your phone does not zero out something you delete and the remaining bytes could affect the performance. it's just like why you always format your hard drive completely before you install or reinstall an operating system. you can the effects everywhere, too, if you look closely like how your phone might have saved the username and password to a website that was there from a previous flash. there are some things that might be afffecting your phone that you dont see like a 1 instead of a 0 in a registry setting that isnt even supposed to be in the rom. no a flash is not like a hard reset as a flash doesn't wipe out everything, it just overwrites it
6th April 2009, 05:03 AM   |  #9  
Flag Cleveland

986 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammypwns

you have to hard reset to clear out all of the stuff in storage. you only need to do it once though and you do it whenever. you have to do it because in order to save power your phone does not zero out something you delete and the remaining bytes could affect the performance. it's just like why you always format your hard drive completely before you install or reinstall an operating system. you can the effects everywhere, too, if you look closely like how your phone might have saved the username and password to a website that was there from a previous flash. there are some things that might be afffecting your phone that you dont see like a 1 instead of a 0 in a registry setting that isnt even supposed to be in the rom. no a flash is not like a hard reset as a flash doesn't wipe out everything, it just overwrites it

But flashing like a Hard Reset)))it erase all your stuff and write new information)))
Quote:

it's just like why you always format your hard drive completely before you install or reinstall an operating system.

Don't use Windows PC)))and you don't need every month reinstall your operation system)))also you don't need to format your hard drive)))
Quote:

like how your phone might have saved the username and password to a website that was there from a previous flash

Like a fantastic))but if you safe your cookies on your SD card it could be)))

Guys you should do Hard Reset many times before flashing too)))
Last edited by onkolog; 6th April 2009 at 05:06 AM.
6th April 2009, 05:37 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 15

561 posts
Every time a ROM is flashed, storage partition is wiped/replaced/reallocated. In essence it's an equivalent of a hard reset, so there's really no point in doing a hard reset unless your ROM image was so buggy that it didn't allocate storage partition properly. If that's the case, hard reset may be helpful, but I wouldn't go with that ROM obviously.

When you flash a stock ROM, you are never required to hard reset thereafter, why it should be different for a customized ROM?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread