Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,324 Members 42,480 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hard reset after flashing- myth or truth

Tip us?
 
nearlygod
Old
#1  
nearlygod's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 409
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default Hard reset after flashing- myth or truth

Hi,
just because i donīt understand why i should hardreset after a flash, i wanted to open a thread on this. Some people say you have to do it 2-3 times.
Because it doesnīt sound any logical to me i wanted to ask around, if anyone really has experienced a difference.
Maybe somebody adanced could even explain, if or if not this could do any difference.

If it finally does: When do you do it? Before Windows says it is going to do some adjustments and wants to softreset or after?

Thx in advance to help me clarifing this,

nearlygod
 
onkolog
Old
#2  
onkolog's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 986
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cleveland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlygod View Post
Hi,
just because i donīt understand why i should hardreset after a flash, i wanted to open a thread on this. Some people say you have to do it 2-3 times.
Because it doesnīt sound any logical to me i wanted to ask around, if anyone really has experienced a difference.
Maybe somebody adanced could even explain, if or if not this could do any difference.

If it finally does: When do you do it? Before Windows says it is going to do some adjustments and wants to softreset or after?

Thx in advance to help me clarifing this,

nearlygod

Yes,it is not logical...I agree with you...It's really stupid...I never had Hard Reset after flashing and I never had problems with ROMs...
 
pLUSpISTOL
Old
#3  
pLUSpISTOL's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 381
Join Date: Jan 2009
I disagree, only once have I NOT hard reset after flashing and the speed was slower, I ended up reflashing and hard resetting made it faster again!
 
nearlygod
Old
#4  
nearlygod's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 409
Join Date: Apr 2008
Ok, nice, we need a lot more people with a lot more experience in having hardresetted or not the same rom and tested it a lot.

Question: Isnīt flashing a rom the same as a hardreset? Purging all existing data and writing an image file?
I never had to "hardrest" my pc after writing an imagefile back on to it.

nearly
 
mallman
Old
#5  
mallman's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 57
Posts: 1,729
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pLUSpISTOL View Post
I disagree, only once have I NOT hard reset after flashing and the speed was slower, I ended up reflashing and hard resetting made it faster again!
i second this. And it has happened more than once to me. You may not have a problem but har resetting assure you do not. Nothing worse than flashing and setting all those settings and realizing it is running slow...... then you start over.
Like my work? Feeling generous?

By clicking HERE


**********************************************
Website: www.swampthing.net
Device: Note 3
ROM: MyRom
Carrier: T-Mobile
 
alexis_p3300
Old
#6  
alexis_p3300's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 508
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: crete
sometimes i do some not.never had problems either..
 
onkolog
Old
#7  
onkolog's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 986
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cleveland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlygod View Post

Question: Isnīt flashing a rom the same as a hardreset? Purging all existing data and writing an image file?
I never had to "hardrest" my pc after writing an imagefile back on to it.
Yes,it is same process )))Why I have to do same thing 2 or more times))))please turn on your logic guys)))
 
sammypwns
Old
#8  
sammypwns's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 207
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
you have to hard reset to clear out all of the stuff in storage. you only need to do it once though and you do it whenever. you have to do it because in order to save power your phone does not zero out something you delete and the remaining bytes could affect the performance. it's just like why you always format your hard drive completely before you install or reinstall an operating system. you can the effects everywhere, too, if you look closely like how your phone might have saved the username and password to a website that was there from a previous flash. there are some things that might be afffecting your phone that you dont see like a 1 instead of a 0 in a registry setting that isnt even supposed to be in the rom. no a flash is not like a hard reset as a flash doesn't wipe out everything, it just overwrites it
 
onkolog
Old
(Last edited by onkolog; 6th April 2009 at 04:06 AM.)
#9  
onkolog's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 986
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cleveland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammypwns View Post
you have to hard reset to clear out all of the stuff in storage. you only need to do it once though and you do it whenever. you have to do it because in order to save power your phone does not zero out something you delete and the remaining bytes could affect the performance. it's just like why you always format your hard drive completely before you install or reinstall an operating system. you can the effects everywhere, too, if you look closely like how your phone might have saved the username and password to a website that was there from a previous flash. there are some things that might be afffecting your phone that you dont see like a 1 instead of a 0 in a registry setting that isnt even supposed to be in the rom. no a flash is not like a hard reset as a flash doesn't wipe out everything, it just overwrites it
But flashing like a Hard Reset)))it erase all your stuff and write new information)))
Quote:
it's just like why you always format your hard drive completely before you install or reinstall an operating system.
Don't use Windows PC)))and you don't need every month reinstall your operation system)))also you don't need to format your hard drive)))
Quote:
like how your phone might have saved the username and password to a website that was there from a previous flash
Like a fantastic))but if you safe your cookies on your SD card it could be)))

Guys you should do Hard Reset many times before flashing too)))
 
stepw
Old
#10  
stepw's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 561
Join Date: Feb 2007
Every time a ROM is flashed, storage partition is wiped/replaced/reallocated. In essence it's an equivalent of a hard reset, so there's really no point in doing a hard reset unless your ROM image was so buggy that it didn't allocate storage partition properly. If that's the case, hard reset may be helpful, but I wouldn't go with that ROM obviously.

When you flash a stock ROM, you are never required to hard reset thereafter, why it should be different for a customized ROM?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Google Play Store 4.9 Brings New, Image-Rich UI with a Hint of Material Design

It’s not Wednesday yet, but we’ve got a great … more

Remove Unnecessary WhatsApp Elements with Xposed

In modern life, you can’t underestimate the power ofthe dark sidemessaging … more

MaR-V-iN to Talk Google and Android APIs at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of September … more

But First, Let Me Take a #Selfie

“Today while browsing XDA,I’m going tocheck to seeif my favorite ROM has been updated–but … more