Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,016 Members 49,857 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide)

Tip us?

AndroidSamurai
Old
(Last edited by AndroidSamurai; 9th January 2014 at 05:28 PM.) Reason: Updated Resource Hosting Locations
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 651

DONATE TO ME
Question [HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide)

Version 2 COMING SOON!

ADB for Dummies Guide

ADB for Dummies AIO(All In One) App'

If you use my guide and/or app, please THANK me...

File Hosting is brought to you by:

The Following 507 Users Say Thank You to AndroidSamurai For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xyrcncp
Old
Thanks Meter 58
<golf clap>
Well done.
</golf clap>
The Following User Says Thank You to xyrcncp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

King_tee
Old
(Last edited by King_tee; 8th April 2009 at 09:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
What do i do if the new hardware device notification doesnt pop-up ? NM i got it. Thanks for the writeup

ICBM
Old
Thanks Meter 0
@King_tee: Assuming windows, you follow the following steps.
1. Start > Control Panel > System.
2. Hardware > Device Manager
3. Click on the last icon below the File menu. It should correspond to "Scan for Hardware Changes."

If that doesn't work, try unplugging / replugging USB cable, different USB cable, restarting phone, restarting computer, etc.

AndroidSamurai
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 651

DONATE TO ME
If you never see the notification, navigate to the Device Manager(inside "System" in the control panel in XP and inside Device Manager on Vista).

You will see ADB Android Device at the top of the list with a Yellow Icon beside it meaning the device is not working. Right-click on the device and select "Update Driver".

Follow the dialogs that pop-up and navigate to where the unzipped drivers are at...

You should be good to go from there...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndroidSamurai For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

devildogg2001
Old
Thanks Meter 2
ok, i need some help please... I downloaded the SDK and followed the instruction in this thread, but when i try to update my driver for the phone, it says the driver is not compatible with my phone.. I am using Haykuro's ROM 4.5 with FW 1.5.. would that be the reason for this issue?

tubaking182
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildogg2001 View Post
ok, i need some help please... I downloaded the SDK and followed the instruction in this thread, but when i try to update my driver for the phone, it says the driver is not compatible with my phone.. I am using Haykuro's ROM 4.5 with FW 1.5.. would that be the reason for this issue?
you may need to uninstall the current driver for your phone if you have mounted it before downloading the SDK. if you don't have the SDK setup the first time you plug the phone in then your computer will auto-update the driver to a regular UMS driver and it won't help you when you try adb. i forget how to uninstall your current driver since i don't use windows, but i'm sure you can find a nice crash course online
XDA has become a playground for morons and script kiddies

devildogg2001
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaking182 View Post
you may need to uninstall the current driver for your phone if you have mounted it before downloading the SDK. if you don't have the SDK setup the first time you plug the phone in then your computer will auto-update the driver to a regular UMS driver and it won't help you when you try adb. i forget how to uninstall your current driver since i don't use windows, but i'm sure you can find a nice crash course online
I dont know if thats the problem because when i plug it in, it doesnt show up as a notification, and when i go to the device manager it shows the little yellow triangle.. I'll look again. Thanks for the quick reply though. I am no expert in linux, but i have it installed, let me see if i can figure it out there..

devildogg2001
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaking182 View Post
ok, so i am in linux now, and i just noticed this guide was for windows.. lol can you or someone tell me how to install the SDK on linux?

xyrcncp
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildogg2001 View Post
ok, so i am in linux now, and i just noticed this guide was for windows.. lol can you or someone tell me how to install the SDK on linux?
Downloading
http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.1_r1/index.html

Installing
http://developer.android.com/sdk/1.1_r1/installing.html

Found through Google...imagine that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xyrcncp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]