[CatchMe] Tool to communicate devices using GPS/SMS with no internet connection
Click here to download the latest version
Devices running Windows Mobile 5 or 6 for Pocket PC or Smartphones
Microsoft Compact Framework 3.5 Download from here
This tool allows you to communicate mobile devices using your GPS and SMS messsages with no internet connection. You will be able to know how far is another phone/target and what direction you need to follow to reach it
Imagine the scenario... you are hiking with some friends in 2 different groups and later during that day you guys want to meet. How do you do that if you got a poor reception and you don't have an internet connection?
This is what happened to me a few days ago. I got signal only for a few seconds and when I tried to make a phone call it was dropped after a while because the quality was very bad.
This program allows you to add targets. You can request the position of these targets by sending a sms message.
If your PDA cannot send the message it will keep retrying every minute.
Once the other end gets the message, CatchMe will start the GPS automatically, get a fix and send a message back to the person who made the request. Again, if there are problems sending the message CatchMe will keep trying until success.
After getting the position of the target, you can start tracking and CatchMe will tell you how far your target is and what direction you need to follow.
- You can only receive requests from phones that have been added to your list. If you get a request from an unknown phone, the message will be discarded.
- You can also associate your current position to a target. This is useful if you want to mark a checkpoint to come back later. No SMS messages are sent at this point.
- In order to use this with another person, both persons need to run this program!
- You don't need to be tracking when using the program. You only need to do that when you are following a target.
- Auto Start and Stealth modes available
If you plan to test the program using only one phone, don't click on 'dismiss' when getting your own SMS message until CatchMe has processed the message, otherwise the message will be deleted before the program can access to it.
I hope this program can be useful for some people!
Please leave your comments, suggestions and ideas here.