5,594,805 Members 37,771 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Has your Diamond got this oily like stain (aka Newton ring)?
No, the display is perfect. 74 56.49%
Yes, my display shows them, but unfortunately I applied too much pressure once. 5 3.82%
Yes, my display shows them, but they came honestly from nowhere and without my intervention. 52 39.69%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Does your Diamond feature Newton's rings?

Tip us?

lutent
Old
(Last edited by lutent; 9th April 2009 at 05:04 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Does your Diamond feature Newton's rings?

I am currently really interested in a Diamond, however the thread Oily liquid underneath screen - from nowhere kinda make me reconsidering it. Because of that I contacted HTC and received a surprisingly quick reply, stating that nearly every device sent in had a physical damage
Quote:
Dear Sir, I can confirm that this fault is normally caused by physical damage to the device. Nearly every single device we have repaired with this fault has had some form of physical damage that has led to the fault. Of course the few that haven't were repaired under warranty. I quote directly from our repair centre: This issue is caused by air/liquid entering the LCD layer, and is nearly always OOW (Out Of Warranty) as it can only be caused by excess pressure on the screen. As long as you look after the device, and take care of it, this issue is unlikely to affect you. We have numerous Touch Dimonds here in our support centre, around 3 or 4 for each language we support, and not one of them have displayed this issue.
Today I took a look at some models on display in several stores and except for one all showed the same effect described in this thread. However I have to admit that this might not be the perfect example for a comparison as those poor phones probably not get treated extremely well in stores.

So I hope to find out with this poll how many people really have got this issue, respectively how many of them can explain it with too much pressure.

Thanks everyone.

peponline
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I had exactly the same problem. Just went back to T-Mobile Netherlands, and they admitted directly that this is a common issue. They repaired it under warranty conditions at no fee at all. They just replaced the entire screen and luckily I've never faced the problem again.

Also, when the oilish liquid was there, the screen alignment was always a little outlined, and when you tap the slylus on that spot you can hear a strange hard "click".
T-Mobile G2 Touch [HTC Hero]
RUU_Hero_T-Mobile_UK_2.73.110.26_release_signed_NoDriver
Firmwareversie: 1.5
Smalbandversie: 63.18.55.06FU_6.35.07.08
Kernel-versie: 2.6.27-0078c992 htc-kernel@and18-2 #821
Build-nummer: 2.73.110.26 CL#69351 release-keys
Softwareversie: 1.0.0.A6288

lutent
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks to all voters, so far all voted to have no problems, except for one, I suppose peponline.

More opinions/votes appreciated.

Alpsp
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I've got it on my 7 month old diamond - screen works ok, but tapping it isn't soft like it used to be. Not a bad enough problem to send it back and be without a phone for a couple of weeks, or risk being charged for!

lutent
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for your post Alpsp, did it happen for no reason or did you do touch the screen once too hard?

Those who voted the third option, are you definitely sure it couldnt have come from too much pressure - maybe unnoticed in the pockets?

lutent
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
More comments/votes appreciated.

Alpsp
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Hi Lutent, I can honestly say I don't believe I've put any abnormal amount of pressure on the screen - I'm pretty careful with the phone, it doesn't have a single scratch on it yet.

What is strange though, is that I've just tried to take a photo of the liquid for you, but it has completely disapppeared!
The only reason I can think of for this is that it hasn't been in my pocket all morning so will be cooler than usual. Also it doesn't show up so much in daylight - I'll have a look later tonight and see if I can photograph it

slyder
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi all

I have the same issue. mine covers 50 % of the screen.
Whats funny is that its exactly right smack in the middle of the screen
its like a zoom box of the screen.

It appeared suddenly and all my touch screen alignments runs as well.

didnt have time to send for warranty until recently.
have sent it in now currently waiting for repairs to complete.
so far no news about if its OOW

chrisrik
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default smudge

Had this problem for some short time, the touchscreen has become hard to handle, as it's not very precise in the area of the "liquid spot", covering 1/9 of the center of the screen. Have no clue of where it came from.
Just sent an mail to the store, demanding replacement refering to this as a common problem after doing some reseach at different forums online.
Waiting for reply. Will notify the results.
ninrocket Old
Thanks Meter
Same problem with my HTC Fuze. It looked perfect. Never dropped. Made call. Looked good. Pulled it out 5 minutes later...the square was there. (I had just flown from Atlanta to LAX...I wonder if atmosphere had anything to do with it???)

Definitly a defect in design.

PS...The letter they sent is BS. It's not the LCD but the touchscreen. The touchscreen is touching the LCD...in my case anyway.

You will probably also notice a slight curvature of the touchscreen down toward the LCD if you look closely.

The reason they don't want to repair them is because this is the most time consuming repair. The phone has to be completely disassembled to attach the cable.