XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New XDA Zest firmware

Tip us?

CassandraN
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default New XDA Zest firmware

There's a new Zest firmware available for download from http://www.my-xda.com/. The filename is Xda_Zest Firmware Update_V7.7.0S.WWE20.00_M4.6.5.P7_V2.1.4 GBR20, which seems to be updates to most of the roms inside the zest. It's installing at the moment, and the upgrade interface on the phone is displaying "GalaxyMini5 Eboot (3.33.0). Since this appears to be a codename for the P565, I guess this is more evidence that the XDA Zest is simply an underclocked P565 and more evidence that P565 firmware may well work on it.

CassandraN
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Warning, this firmware does not appear to contain the O2 menu software, or the free GPS software that comes with the phone (although maybe the latter can be re-installed from the SD card). Shame - I rather liked the O2 menu interface.

silid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
what improvements does it have? Is it actually worth upgrading?

Thanks.

CassandraN
Old
(Last edited by CassandraN; 23rd April 2009 at 11:32 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
The only things I can see that I don't remember seeing before are a couple of new or updated control panel entries. Video calling is probably the really important one.

You seem to lose the RSS reader, the O2 auto settings, the O2 menu and the GPS s/w (although the latter was only a demo). I have no idea if using the SD card that came with the Zest will restore these, as I don't have it. (If the software is all on there somewhere, and someone could bung me a copy, I'd be really grateful.)

It does make me wonder how the P565 firmware compares. I understand it has a nice touch interface on it.

silid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It seems odd that the new firmware would remove all the o2 specific bits. Great if you want to use it on another network I suppose, but I quite like the mobile shell or o2 menu.

The satnav software isn't on the sd card - only the maps.

The instructions say:
Quote:
Please note that if you already have CoPilot satellite navigation software on your Xda, refer to the Xda Zest user manual before upgrading your device software.
I couldn't see anything of significance in the user manual.

CassandraN
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Interesting. I actually have Tomtom for GPS on a different SD card, which is related to the reason I don't have the original SD card. Tomtom autoinstalls from the SD card, so I thought it might be that the O2 software installed itself from the SD card provided by O2. I guess that if it's only maps on the SD card then that's not the case, and the new firmware does strip out all the O2 extras, which seems like a peculiar decision to say the least.

Still, it did get me to try the new SPB mobile shell 3, which is what the O2 menu is based on, but nicer. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the $35 for just a flashy finger driven interface. The weird thing is, it actually might be.

blackemnc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm actually going to upgrade my firmware to new one which is currently available in O2 site. What I want to know is if upgrade mine to the latest what would be the changes I may seen... Is it worth upgrading by loosing all the software?
I Phone 3G
O2 xda flame
O2 xda Zest
Samsung i900 Omnia

CassandraN
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
So far I've seen nothing to write home about. The only reason might be if you can't already make video calls and want to do so. (I never make them, so I have no idea whether or not they're supported in the original firmware.)

blackemnc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I just upgraded mine to new firm ware. It worked fine for me. I didn't lose any O2 extras inc O2 menu. It was Oki but haven't tried yet to make video calls.. I will install iGO8 and will uninstall the co-pilot.

SPB Mobile shell 3.0 Rocks working smoothly with my Omnia and Xda Zest
I Phone 3G
O2 xda flame
O2 xda Zest
Samsung i900 Omnia

AderC
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've just updated, and I didn't lose any O2 extras either (including Copilot). I backed up the Program Files\Copilot folder on the device to my PC before updating, and copied it back over after the update and voila, I've still got my fully activated version of Copilot. It did still prompt for allowing it to connect to the net during the 14-day trial the first time I ran it, but the license screen confirms it's the full version.

aDe