XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WEP Cracker for android

Tip us?

add3421
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Default WEP Cracker for android

From what i hear wep is very easy to crack and requires a pretty low amount of cpu power. I know that currently there are quite a few apps which primarly work with linux. Is their anyway we can bring a wep cracker to the android?

Im not trying to use this for illegal purposes, it would just really show us the power of android, and build on what we have created

Thanks

Nexus 4

Galaxy Nexus

HTC Doubleshot A.K.A. T-Mobile TouchMe

T-Mobile G2

Samsung Vibrant - POS

Nexus One

HTC Dream G1

T-Mobile Wing

T-Mobile Dash
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to add3421 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Breach
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by aad4321 View Post
[cracking WEP] requires a pretty low amount of cpu power.
Quote:
it would just really show us the power of android
How would it show us the power of Android, if it is common knowledge that cracking WEP requires no real power.. :P

There is no real legal use for a program that cracks WEP encryption.

/me steps off his soapbox and double checks that his router is secure.. really secure. lol

Rick

mjpolgar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
there are a number of linux based wep cracking programs out there...air crack being one that comes to mind. the challange would more than likely getting the driver for the wnic to interface with the software.

JanetPanic
Old
Thanks Meter 50
The G1 has sufficient power to crack WEP. Your main challenge would be to get the card into promiscuous mode. That is necessary so that you can listen to the traffic and get enough logs to crack. With the logs you could even crack in a pure Java (thus native Android) app.

bladepbc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i will be following this thread...
g1-black(dead)
Moto Cliq(killed)
Iphone 4(sold)
Mt4g(current)

had the iphone4 for 2 weeks and hated it.

damnoregonian
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetPanic View Post
The G1 has sufficient power to crack WEP. Your main challenge would be to get the card into promiscuous mode. That is necessary so that you can listen to the traffic and get enough logs to crack. With the logs you could even crack in a pure Java (thus native Android) app.
Promiscuous will get you nowhere.
The wifi adapter will need to be put into Monitor mode, so that it sees 802.11 frames from nonassociated APs.
I haven't examined the driver source (I was just happy to be able to get it to even build in the normal kernel tree) to see whether or not it supports this functionality. If it does not, you're likely SOL, since i sincerely doubt there is a white paper available to the public detailing the registers for the adapter.

JanetPanic
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnoregonian View Post
Promiscuous will get you nowhere.
The wifi adapter will need to be put into Monitor mode, so that it sees 802.11 frames from nonassociated APs.
I haven't examined the driver source (I was just happy to be able to get it to even build in the normal kernel tree) to see whether or not it supports this functionality. If it does not, you're likely SOL, since i sincerely doubt there is a white paper available to the public detailing the registers for the adapter.
I stand corrected. Thought prom was enough.

IRIE4IPIER
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Quote:
Im not trying to use this for illegal purposes, it would just really show us the power of android, and build on what we have created

Thanks
what a load of bull****, dont bull**** a bull****ter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IRIE4IPIER For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tubaking182
Old
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIE4IPIER View Post
what a load of bull****, dont bull**** a bull****ter
that was kinda rude, many people work on hacking their own networs to see how secure they really are. there are hundreds of ways to do this with a computer ranging from brute force dictionary attack to capturing traffic and getting the key out of it. i sincerely believe that the OP is not trying to bull**** anyone. there are loads of people that might use it for illegal purposes which is why if an app were made(if it's even possible) i would prefer it to be terminal based since most people who want to do something illegal do not want to get their hand dirty doing it. i for one have permission from most of my neighbors that if i can get past their WPA2 network key then i have free reign on their internet. i have yet to bother doing it but i asked permission in case i get really bored one day and feel like hacking a network.

but as already posted you would have to get the wireless card in the phone into monitor mode which i'm not sure is even possible. i hope this thread is updated with some info and possibly a fix. i do believe that it would show the power of the CPU since it would take a comp between 15 minuts and an hour to crack WEP we could compare to how long it takes the phone
XDA has become a playground for morons and script kiddies
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tubaking182 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Binary100100
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1102

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaking182 View Post
that was kinda rude, many people work on hacking their own networs to see how secure they really are. there are hundreds of ways to do this with a computer ranging from brute force dictionary attack to capturing traffic and getting the key out of it. i sincerely believe that the OP is not trying to bull**** anyone. there are loads of people that might use it for illegal purposes which is why if an app were made(if it's even possible) i would prefer it to be terminal based since most people who want to do something illegal do not want to get their hand dirty doing it. i for one have permission from most of my neighbors that if i can get past their WPA2 network key then i have free reign on their internet. i have yet to bother doing it but i asked permission in case i get really bored one day and feel like hacking a network.

but as already posted you would have to get the wireless card in the phone into monitor mode which i'm not sure is even possible. i hope this thread is updated with some info and possibly a fix. i do believe that it would show the power of the CPU since it would take a comp between 15 minuts and an hour to crack WEP we could compare to how long it takes the phone
It also depends on how much traffic that is being processed through that network as well. My roommates keep changing the damn wep key because they think that they are being hacked. And me... being that I work nights often come home and see that my computer can't be online. I through on an Atheros driver, start aircrack and because they don't have any computers online at the moment it takes me about 2 hours to crack their basic 64 bit encryption! Then when I ask them why they changed it from one of their phone numbers to "0000000001" because it was a stupid password (even brute force wise) they got scared because they realized how stupid it actually was. So the next day it was set to 128 bit wep. So I tested that and it took me about 6 hours (again with little internet traffic). I tested again while on peak hours (one roommate was on XML, one was playing online poker, another.... who knows... there was a total of 6 connected-5 wireless) and I was able to crack 128bit in less then an hour!

But... to say that you just want to see the power of Android by using a WEP cracker... that's like saying I want to test out the power of my new dvd rom drive by copying dvd's. Yeah... it doesn't fly.
Device(s) Info:

HTC Amaze 4G :
Energy ICS | Rooted | SIM Unlocked | HBOOT-1.93.2222 JuopunutBear S-OFF | Recovery 4ext | Kernel: HTC Stock

HTC EVO View 4G:
[ACS]CleverNameHere Rom RLS 1 (HC) | hboot 6.14.5556 | Revolutionary S-OFF | TWRP 1.0.3 Port

Samsung SGH-T959 Vibrant (unlocked) :
FFC v2 Mod
| Bionix NextGen 2 | Kernel: OverStock 2.4.1 | KB5 Modem | ClockworkMod Recovery