Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,005 Members 38,003 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Copyright infringment all over the market

Tip us?
 
mmafighter077
Old
#1  
mmafighter077's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 350
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Copyright infringment all over the market

I am not a lawyer and I don't know too much about this... but isn't it illegal to sell apps such as sound boards and pictures that are copyrighted on the market or anywhere for that matter if they don't have the rights from the owners?

I am seeing a bunch of apps on the market with icons from other copyrighted pictures and apps such as soundboards that use copyrighted content. Doesn't it make it illegal for the devs to sell them w / out copyrights?

P.S im not complaining just inquiring.
 
Karolis
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 795
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmafighter077 View Post
I am not a lawyer and I don't know too much about this... but isn't it illegal to sell apps such as sound boards and pictures that are copyrighted on the market or anywhere for that matter if they don't have the rights from the owners?

I am seeing a bunch of apps on the market with icons from other copyrighted pictures and apps such as soundboards that use copyrighted content. Doesn't it make it illegal for the devs to sell them w / out copyrights?

P.S im not complaining just inquiring.
It probably is illegal, but until someone claims copyright, no one will do anything.
 
UnkzDomain
Old
#3  
UnkzDomain's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 409
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolis View Post
It probably is illegal, but until someone claims copyright, no one will do anything.
Well, it would be a good way to clean up the market wouldn't it? =P
 
Karolis
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 795
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgupt01 View Post
Well, it would be a good way to clean up the market wouldn't it? =P
Yes, but I don't think if anyone but the copyright holder will complain, Google will do anything.
 
UnkzDomain
Old
#5  
UnkzDomain's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 409
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville
Well, you could always mark the app as innappropriate and email the dev and stuff...
 
wizern23
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 562
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mobile, Alabama
yea the sound boards are copyright infringement but the themes aren't. the themes use pictures you can find through google and most people dont care about it. You then have the sound boards that use trademark words and catchphrases. selling these would probably be considered illegal just like bootlegging. They take a sound thats supposed to be approved to be sold and sells it without the consent of the people or companies behind it.

If you complain about the paid ones then they'll be taken down along with the free ones because the companies will want to be compensated for the use of their property even in a free way.
Evolution of an Android User:
HTC G1> Motorola Cliq> HTC MyTouch 3G> Samsung Vibrant> HTC Sensation> Galaxy S III
 
wizern23
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 562
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mobile, Alabama
whoops double post lol
Evolution of an Android User:
HTC G1> Motorola Cliq> HTC MyTouch 3G> Samsung Vibrant> HTC Sensation> Galaxy S III
 
momentarylapseofreason
Old
#8  
momentarylapseofreason's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 1,064
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizern23 View Post
yea the sound boards are copyright infringement but the themes aren't. the themes use pictures you can find through google and most people dont care about it. You then have the sound boards that use trademark words and catchphrases. selling these would probably be considered illegal just like bootlegging. They take a sound thats supposed to be approved to be sold and sells it without the consent of the people or companies behind it.

If you complain about the paid ones then they'll be taken down along with the free ones because the companies will want to be compensated for the use of their property even in a free way.
Just because you can find an image through Google or find it on a message board, or hanging on a wall in a mall does NOT mean you have any rights to it.

The second point to your argument is right though. Most people won't really care to pursue it.

Now, the things that piss me off are people posting things such as books (military guides for one) and CHARGING for it. It's not their book and if I recall correctly from way back in 1997 when I was in basic training, not supposed to be for the general public.
 
f4phantomii
Old
#9  
f4phantomii's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 137
Join Date: Feb 2009
I've wondered about this as well.

My limited knowledge says that as long as they are using public domain images from the net without any posted copyright notices and they are free on the Market, then they are probably OK.

Those who are selling apps that use copyrighted material are opening themselves up for prosecution.

Now some apps that are for sale.....say Doom for example. You buy the Android port, but you download the proprietary doom.wad file separately after purchase. Now the gray area here is that the Doom app actually is setup to go ahead and download it for you right out of the box. But I think it's using the shareware version, so it's probably OK.

Ditto for MAME....you download the emulator....how and where you obtain the ROMs are your business. Many of the original copyright owners are no longer legal entities anymore, and others that *are* still around have graciously donated their ROMs legally. But there are still plenty of illegal ROMs floating around. I suspect it's just a drop in the bucket compared to music/movie illegal sharing.
 
neoobs
Old
(Last edited by neoobs; 28th April 2009 at 01:19 AM.)
#10  
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 1,271
Join Date: Mar 2008
In all actuality, as long as the material (photos, music, and video) are public domain you can use them and even charge for them. For instance look at things like South Park and Family Guy. These shows use a lot of copyrighted material as parodies, they pay little to no royalities on these materials. And you might think these TV shows are free to watch, but think where they started... on a paid cable network.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Schedule is up for xda:devcon ’14

With xda:devcon ’14 just around the corner, and the venue close to selling out, there is a lot … more

aLogcat Returns Thanks to XDA Love

The developers of Android, that is Google, gave users several great debugging tools that can be used in … more

And the Winners in the XDA Pebble Development Challenge Are…

Almost two months ago, we set out with Pebble to findthree amazing … more

MediaTek Releases Full Kernel Source for First Android One Devices

Those who might have thought that MediaTek wouldnever release working … more