Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,091 Members 52,696 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to filter ads on your G1

Tip us?

bmdixon
Old
Thanks Meter 28
My hosts file is pretty much empty! Been working fine till a day or two ago. Only about 600B now (yes bytes!). Is something wrong with the server?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

kevinw915
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I got the same problem with above,
It works fine for last few weeks
But after i update it today, all ads comes out again
Please fix~~thx so much!!

VK7HSE
Old
(Last edited by VK7HSE; 28th November 2011 at 08:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Same for me here. My temporary solution was to disable the auto update of your hosts file and download the hosts file from the url listed in the comments within the hodts file.

A small annoyance, but I'm sure that a fix won't be far away

340DartMan
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Question AdFree no longer blocks ads after 0.8.41 update

I realize this is for G1 phones, but looking for a solutions from the Dev.

Every since I upgraded to AdFree 0.8.41, it is not working. I tried rebooting my phone (as the app states after upgrade), uninstalled, reinstalled AdFree, and rebooted, no help. Updated again after re installation, then tried rebooting again and no help.

This app worked after I initially installed it.

The host file (\system\etc\host) looked the same throughout the process. I thought about deleting my host file, then uninstalling and reinstalling AdFree, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea.

Is there something I need to do after the update to get it to work?

I have a rooted Bionic with stock ROM.

Thank you,

Tony

ToddeSwe
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Default not woking since upfate

Hi, kinda glad to see that I'm not alone.
Since I updated to sensation 2.08 stock ROM it has not worked here.
But I had problems before as well.

Hope you solv it soon.
Keep up the good work.

ToddeSwe
HTC One "Black"

Android version: 4.4.2
HTC Sense version: 5.5
Program number: 4.19.401.11
HTC SDK 5.68

Kernel: 3.4.10

Stock Swedish/Nordic

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
HTC HD2 on Pdaimatejam Rom Wp7.8 OS 7.10.8862.144 V8.8

Swedish forum here

GldRush98
Old
Thanks Meter 267
This app has turned in to a damn train wreck. It used to work great and now it forces landscape mode on my Galaxy Tab for no reason. And worse, now all it does is just wipe out your hosts file.
I'm done with this. Going to manual host file updates from now on.
---Phone---
Nexus 5 32gb
Android 4.4.4 KTU84P, Baseband 2.0.50.1.16, Unlocked, rooted, TWRP Recovery 2.7.1.1
---Tablets---
Samsung Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32gb
Android 4.4.2 KOT49H, rooted, TWRP 2.6.3.3
Nexus 7 16gb
Android 4.4.2 KOT49H, Unlocked, rooted, TWRP Recovery 2.6.3.1
---Past---
Galaxy Nexus (AT&T)
Android 4.3 JWR66Y, Baseband I9250XXLJ1, Unlocked, rooted, Clockwork Touch 6.0.4.3
Google Nexus One | AT&T Fuze (Touch Pro) | AT&T 8525 (Hermes) | AT&T 8125 (Wizard)

delta_foxtrot2
Old
(Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 3rd December 2011 at 04:45 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldRush98 View Post
now it forces landscape mode on my Galaxy Tab for no reason.
Actually it was for a good reason, there is no way to tell if someone is on a device that rotates or a TV that doesn't, except for the screen size.

Quote:
And worse, now all it does is just wipe out your hosts file.
This seems to be happening only to people that turn on all extra lists as the system runs out of memory processing it all, I'm still trying to work out how to send the host names differently so it's not memory bound. Quick fix is to stop using the extra lists with lots of hostnames.

UPDATE: I ended up hiding 3 lists of hostnames for the time being, even if the server did have enough RAM the deal with requests, the compressed hosts file comes out at 14M, so I'm going to be switching to some kind of diff method, but will take some time to code.

hooozy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Working great on NDTV app but not working on times of India app. Please make it work
TOI v 1.1.3 ( http://market.android.com/search?q=p...der.activities )

brendel
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta_foxtrot2 View Post
Actually it was for a good reason, there is no way to tell if someone is on a device that rotates or a TV that doesn't, except for the screen size.

This seems to be happening only to people that turn on all extra lists as the system runs out of memory processing it all, I'm still trying to work out how to send the host names differently so it's not memory bound. Quick fix is to stop using the extra lists with lots of hostnames.

UPDATE: I ended up hiding 3 lists of hostnames for the time being, even if the server did have enough RAM the deal with requests, the compressed hosts file comes out at 14M, so I'm going to be switching to some kind of diff method, but will take some time to code.
I concur on being forced to landscape mode on the Galaxy Tab. It is very annoying. The program was actually quite easy to use before the mandatory changes were made. The choices should be the users' to choose, instead of forcing it upon them. Afterall, we're using Android, not IOS, right?

delta_foxtrot2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendel View Post
I concur on being forced to landscape mode on the Galaxy Tab. It is very annoying. The program was actually quite easy to use before the mandatory changes were made. The choices should be the users' to choose, instead of forcing it upon them. Afterall, we're using Android, not IOS, right?
if you setup auto update you don't even need to use the app 99.999% of the time.