Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,819 Members 41,146 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to filter ads on your G1

Tip us?

delta_foxtrot2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 407
Wow, half the comments on the Market about app are complete whiners and people wonder why free apps are disappearing from the Market, maybe it's to stop the irrelevant comments.

In any case new version up that allows you to easily revert your hosts file to just have localhost.

nyayo99
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta_foxtrot2 View Post
New version of AdFree is now up, I have the app adding the admob hostnames to the bottom of the list.
Great job! Thanks!

delta_foxtrot2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 407
If you want extra URLs added you'll need to report them to the guy from mvps.org, the app doesn't store the list but downloads it on request.

Visit http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm for more information etc.

shaneaus
Old
Thanks Meter 9
AWESOME AP! Thank you!

Don't listen to the whiners! They are just too ignorant (ignorant - lack of knowledge - not an insult, necessarily) to know any better!

Thanks for making this app and helping out. It isn't only the major ROM cookers who make xda-dev such a great resource. It is also people like you who make really great apps that others didn't think of or don't know how to make!
MotoX (ATT), HTC One, N5, N7, Asus Transformer (TF101)

Galaxy Nexus (LTE) - running AOKP ROM = Awesome!
Droid X
ATT Samsung S - Captivate
HTC Dream/G1
Various Window OS devices

Always waiting (patiently) for the latest CyanogenMOD

Thanks to JesusFreke, Cyanogen, LucidRem, Stericson, Haykuro, The Dude, Wysie_Soh, Kmobs, Koush, Wes, Birdman, etc. - Ya'll are awesome!

delta_foxtrot2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneaus View Post
Don't listen to the whiners! They are just too ignorant (ignorant - lack of knowledge - not an insult, necessarily) to know any better!
I'm just wondering how many devs added a 99c price tag just to shut the idiots up though, same old thing a small few ruining it for the rest of us.

mannyb
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta_foxtrot2 View Post
Wow, half the comments on the Market about app are complete whiners and people wonder why free apps are disappearing from the Market, maybe it's to stop the irrelevant comments.

In any case new version up that allows you to easily revert your hosts file to just have localhost.
Good job mate, I'm loving this. Even though "host edits" is a "primitive" way of blocking ads, it's the best we've got at the moment.

And I agree, I think the Market whiners are reason many developers decide to "go paid", I can definitely understand the reasoning. It just sucks for people outside the handful paid app enabled countries.
Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it
--Manny Bianco

delta_foxtrot2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyb View Post
Good job mate, I'm loving this. Even though "host edits" is a "primitive" way of blocking ads, it's the best we've got at the moment.
I'm not sure it's that primitive though, doing it at the OS level, which is written in C, should (in theory) be a lot faster than adding extra java code to do the same thing. The down side of course is you need root.

delta_foxtrot2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 407
New version up, instead of using wget from the command line to download the hosts file it pulls it in itself and then just moves it on the command line, hopefully those running stock ADP1.5 won't have any more problems now, but without a little more help/feedback from those having problems I'm guessing and they're whining about it not working etc.

delta_foxtrot2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 407
According to comments on the Market, some people think and icon/polish would be good, but since this app is mostly single use, or redundent if the hosts file gets packaged in some of the builds I doubt polishing up the interface would be of much use.

Although it could probably do with a better icon and since I suck at graphics would anyone care to donate something or know of a decent one that is royality free etc?

delta_foxtrot2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 407
Also for anyone running ADP 1.5 (I assume the google build) that is failing can you try and do these steps manually, either via 'adb shell' or using the terminal app:

Code:
Select Code
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
wget -O /sdcard/hosts http://209.68.48.119/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
cp /sdcard/hosts /system/etc/hosts
rm /sdcard/hosts
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system