XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Learning to Develop on Android

Tip us?

benmyers2941
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Learning to Develop on Android

So I've been palying around with the Android SDK. I've done a bit of developing before, but never in Java. The Android APIs are pretty well documented, but I'm missing the basics of Java programming (data types, declaring variables and constants, file operations, etc.).

Does anyone have any suggested references? I've been digging some myself but it's slow going.

beartard
Old
Thanks Meter 14
If you haven't already, check out http://www.helloandroid.com , http://www.anddev.org , and look for O'Reilly books on Java or skip the first five chapters of "Java for Dummies."

benmyers2941
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Both of those are really focused on Android specifically. Anddev.org is really for developers while HelloAndroid.com is more of a blog and not much technical info.

Here's the best site I was able to find about the Java basics.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Programming/Overview

After that it just learning the APIs, and I think Anddev is really going to be the site to watch on that.

I thought I'd share in case there are other aspirng developers watching.

Shindokie
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Developing Thread

I didn't know where to add this, but if you need to move it to the right thread please do.

I want to start developing, but I don't know any Java. I'm sure that you guys probably know some books that I can pick up to start learning. Actually any advice or resources would be great since.

Ever since i got the G1 and seeing everybody speaking code it realy started to interest me. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Shindokie
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I heard the dummy books aren't that good to start off with, but thanks I'll still look at it.

Shindokie
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Bump,

Come on people i know you have some ideas, so i can learn java or anything to develop for Android.

AsaSpades
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Im also thinkin about starting or trying to develop for Android, like how would I start off makin a custom rom build?
Verizon Galaxy S4 32GB
ME7 Rooted & SafeStrapped
JB7

Verizon Galaxy Nexus
Xylon Rom

Motorola Droid X2
Resting

T-Mobile G1 (Black)
Resting

Christopher3712
Old
Thanks Meter 118

DONATE TO ME
Come on guys

See here
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 (16GB) + 64GB SanDisk SDXC
ROM - Stock
Kernel - Stock

Retired/Sold:
Samsung Galaxy S4 (16GB Black Mist, AT&T)
Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S3 (16GB Pebble Blue, Verizon)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (32GB, Verizon)
Motorola Xoom 32GB (Verizon)
HTC Rezound (Verizon)
HTC Sensation 4G (T-Mobile)
HTC Nexus One (T-Mobile)
HTC G1 (T-Mobile)

neoobs
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher3712 View Post
Come on guys

See here
that would have worked great if you spelled develop right LOL

jashsu
Old
Thanks Meter 10
The thing with programming textbooks is no one can ever agree on what book is "best". Some people like books that are basically just giant lists of functions and their syntaxes, some people like books with a lot of examples, some people like books that primarily explain the most basic functions in plain English. Some folks don't like to use books at all and learn programming purely from studying others' source code.

A lot of the Java-specific books written in the past decade are written without requiring pre-existing knowledge of C++, which would be good if you have never programmed in any language before. I think the "Headfirst Java" volume is supposed to be well-regarded, but I can't say that from personal experience.

Of course, you could always just find your local community college/adult school/vocational center and sign up for Java classes. Some community colleges might place Java far down in the CS track and make you take prerequisite courses. Depending on how the course is set up, what text it uses, and how much ground it intends to cover, it may or may not have prerequisites.

Good luck