Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Learning to Develop on Android

OP benmyers2941

1st October 2008, 10:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Meter: 8

363 posts
More
So I've been palying around with the Android SDK. I've done a bit of developing before, but never in Java. The Android APIs are pretty well documented, but I'm missing the basics of Java programming (data types, declaring variables and constants, file operations, etc.).

Does anyone have any suggested references? I've been digging some myself but it's slow going.
2nd October 2008, 04:57 AM   |  #2  
Flag Winter Haven, Florida, USA
Thanks Meter: 14

475 posts
More
If you haven't already, check out http://www.helloandroid.com , http://www.anddev.org , and look for O'Reilly books on Java or skip the first five chapters of "Java for Dummies."
4th October 2008, 07:55 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Meter: 8

363 posts
More
Both of those are really focused on Android specifically. Anddev.org is really for developers while HelloAndroid.com is more of a blog and not much technical info.

Here's the best site I was able to find about the Java basics.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Programming/Overview

After that it just learning the APIs, and I think Anddev is really going to be the site to watch on that.

I thought I'd share in case there are other aspirng developers watching.
21st March 2009, 09:12 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

59 posts
Developing Thread
I didn't know where to add this, but if you need to move it to the right thread please do.

I want to start developing, but I don't know any Java. I'm sure that you guys probably know some books that I can pick up to start learning. Actually any advice or resources would be great since.

Ever since i got the G1 and seeing everybody speaking code it realy started to interest me. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
21st March 2009, 09:40 PM   |  #5  

59 posts
I heard the dummy books aren't that good to start off with, but thanks I'll still look at it.
23rd March 2009, 08:35 PM   |  #6  

59 posts
Bump,

Come on people i know you have some ideas, so i can learn java or anything to develop for Android.
23rd April 2009, 02:17 AM   |  #7  
Flag Hartford, CT
Thanks Meter: 18

493 posts
More
Im also thinkin about starting or trying to develop for Android, like how would I start off makin a custom rom build?
23rd April 2009, 03:23 AM   |  #8  
Flag The Colony, TX
Thanks Meter: 153

919 posts
Donate to Me
More
Come on guys

See here
23rd April 2009, 03:45 AM   |  #9  
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter: 10

1,271 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher3712

Come on guys

See here

that would have worked great if you spelled develop right LOL
23rd April 2009, 03:54 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 14

1,853 posts
The thing with programming textbooks is no one can ever agree on what book is "best". Some people like books that are basically just giant lists of functions and their syntaxes, some people like books with a lot of examples, some people like books that primarily explain the most basic functions in plain English. Some folks don't like to use books at all and learn programming purely from studying others' source code.

A lot of the Java-specific books written in the past decade are written without requiring pre-existing knowledge of C++, which would be good if you have never programmed in any language before. I think the "Headfirst Java" volume is supposed to be well-regarded, but I can't say that from personal experience.

Of course, you could always just find your local community college/adult school/vocational center and sign up for Java classes. Some community colleges might place Java far down in the CS track and make you take prerequisite courses. Depending on how the course is set up, what text it uses, and how much ground it intends to cover, it may or may not have prerequisites.

Good luck

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread