Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,193 Members 36,594 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New and improved Apps to SD(more stable, more powerful, etc) Tutorial

Tip us?

MarcusMaximus04@gmail.com
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
New news: If you haven't seen it, I updated this tutorial(and the scripts with it) quite a bit and would now consider it to be completely fully functional.

Also The Dude will be sending me an advance copy of his next ROM tomorrow to verify it works. In his build the apps to sd will be automatic, with no user setup(although if you want apps on the sd card you'll have to make an app directory under /system/sd(mkdir /system/sd/app), ditto for dalvik-cache and data).

Finally, I will attempt to add this into my apps to sd app tonight, thus rounding out everything I can do.

After all this, the only thing left is for Haykuro to build it into his ROM and me to make an app to move specific apps to/from the sd card automatically.
Device: Nexus 4/Nexus 7/Nexus 10

jimmytango
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This will no doubt be the method of choice in no time. Great work. Sticky?

Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
If anyone dl'd the latest version(that fixed the race condition, etc), please download the one I just put up. I made that one in windows and I believe the funky carraige return(that indicates a new line) that windows uses screwed it up

GTASouthPark
Old
Thanks Meter 3
So I got some kind of error, and I don't know what is going on.

I put in all the lines in the terminal emulator app..
but after line cp /runme.sh /data/ it gives me an error

it says "cp: cannot stat '/runme.sh': No such file or directory

Any help? I rooted my phone just so I could run my apps off of my SD card.. and now I can't figure out how to get it to work. Somebody help me please.

Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTASouthPark View Post
So I got some kind of error, and I don't know what is going on.

I put in all the lines in the terminal emulator app..
but after line cp /runme.sh /data/ it gives me an error

it says "cp: cannot stat '/runme.sh': No such file or directory

Any help? I rooted my phone just so I could run my apps off of my SD card.. and now I can't figure out how to get it to work. Somebody help me please.
Which ROM is this? JF1.5 should have runme.sh there...

GTASouthPark
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusMaximus04@gmail.com View Post
Which ROM is this? JF1.5 should have runme.sh there...
Ok, I am going to re-partition my memory card.. and then re flash to JF1.5 and try it again.

dwang
Old
(Last edited by dwang; 7th May 2009 at 04:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 169
Just tried it, one issue I'm seeing is android seems to install system@framework@core.jar@classes.dex into /system/intmem/dalvik-cache at boot. Is there anyway to have that only in my dalvik-cache on the sdcard?

Its a fairly large file at 3megs so I want it to reside solely on the sdcard and even if I delete it from intmem, whenever I reboot it gets added again.

Now when I display the internal phone storage from the settings menu, it shows up at 835 megs. :)

I wonder if this is possible to use unionfs and make an ext2 fs object as a file on the FAT fs. That way no 2nd partition is necessary. Plus, if you remove the sdcard, everything will still work.

Maybe we could combine unionfs and this method that uses an ext2 image on the fat32 for apps to sd.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=687

mkefs can be downloaded here:

http://sites.google.com/site/juanjosec/android

Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwang View Post
I wonder if this is possible to use unionfs and make an ext2 fs object as a file on the FAT fs. That way no 2nd partition is necessary. Plus, if you remove the sdcard, everything will still work.

Maybe we could combine unionfs and this method that uses an ext2 image on the fat32 for apps to sd.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=687

mkefs can be downloaded here:

http://sites.google.com/site/juanjosec/android
I've been looking at that possibility with JF and MartinFick as well, seems like it could be a good plan but I wanted to get this bit done first. It's a good point about the dalvik-cache, but in order to fix it JF(in this case) would have to change /init.rc to make sure to do this bit before building the dalvik-cache.

aloa64
Old
(Last edited by aloa64; 7th May 2009 at 07:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Default Can't download apps from market

hmm so I didn't hit any errors when doing this, but afterwards I am unable to download any apps from the market. It just continually says "Starting Download..." Everything else seems to work well.

I had this same issue when I tried to manually setup apps to sd using the symbolic links. I narrowed the issue down and figured out this only occurred after I moved the dalvik-cache over to the sd card. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, but can't seem to figure it out. Any pointers in a general direction would be most helpful

I'm using JFv1.50 ADP1.5, not the modded version by LucidREM. For some reason the bootloader couldn't pickup his version on my phone and --edit-- I'm pretty sure I have the SD card partitioned correctly... everything else seemed to work ok. The ext2 partition shows up as the correct size

*EDIT* So apparently my issue was the SD card as well. Just did a format of the sd card and it fixed it. I also formatted data and cache (alt+w in recovery mode). Thanks MarcusMaximus!

BSDADON
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusMaximus04@gmail.com View Post
New news: If you haven't seen it, I updated this tutorial(and the scripts with it) quite a bit and would now consider it to be completely fully functional.

Also The Dude will be sending me an advance copy of his next ROM tomorrow to verify it works. In his build the apps to sd will be automatic, with no user setup(although if you want apps on the sd card you'll have to make an app directory under /system/sd(mkdir /system/sd/app), ditto for dalvik-cache and data).

Finally, I will attempt to add this into my apps to sd app tonight, thus rounding out everything I can do.

After all this, the only thing left is for Haykuro to build it into his ROM and me to make an app to move specific apps to/from the sd card automatically.
If I have apps2SD and the dalvik-cache both moved on the dudes builds already, do I still have to create those directories or will my existing setup still work fine? I would like to know what kind of issues I may run into when the dude releases .95 with this (hopefully, not getting my hopes up just in case).
Phone: LG Nexus 5 32GB ROM: Rooted Stock 4.4.2 KERNEL: franco.Kernel r24

Retired: HTC G1, HTC MT3GS, HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Verizon Galaxy S3