Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,312 Members 52,629 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

G1 Recovery Mode

Tip us?

jmprgrl74
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default G1 Recovery Mode

I've been unable to start the G1 in recovery to finish rooting it. While holding down the 'home' key, it just keeps buzzing and flashing 'g1' and if I let it go, it starts up. Any ideas?? Thanks!

tulamidan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Home leads you to the Bootloader, not the recovery. For this you need to hold down the Cam button.

jmprgrl74
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default G1 Rooting

I think that's what I'm after...I'm doing this:
http://www.androidandme.com/2009/05/...stall-cupcake/

I'm just at the section just before Part 3 where it says:

After typing the “telnetd” command return to the root.apk app and press “Step3: Protect your root”. This step runs a script that will perform the SPL upgrade. If you see any errors, it means the telnet session is not open. Return to the previous instructions and try launching telnet again. If you are still having problems with Step 3, reboot your phone and try again. After the script runs, we need to reboot the phone to apply the update file.

Power off your phone.
Hold down the Home key and power the phone back on.
When you see the triangle with the ! inside it, then press Alt+L to display the bootloader options.
Press Alt+S to apply the update.zip file.
When the update is finished, you can reboot by pressing TALK+MENU+POWER.

Pam

tulamidan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Are you on RC29 already?

jmprgrl74
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default G1 Recovery Mode

I am...shows:

kila-user 1.0 TC4-RC29 115247
ota-rel-keys,release-keys

Last step I did was "protect your root":
After typing the “telnetd” command return to the root.apk app and press “Step3: Protect your root”. This step runs a script that will perform the SPL upgrade. If you see any errors, it means the telnet session is not open. Return to the previous instructions and try launching telnet again. If you are still having problems with Step 3, reboot your phone and try again. After the script runs, we need to reboot the phone to apply the update file.

jmprgrl74
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default finally worked

I used a diff file someone had posted in the comments, redid it all and finally got it to work. Thanks tho!