Downloading ringtones, Zedge/Myxer/etc

OP Picolini

17th May 2009, 10:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 6

173 posts
More
So I've been having problems downloading ringtones from sites like Zedge.net, Myxer, even other sites like funformoble.com, crappy ones.

What happens is when I click Download it pops up a window saying "connecting to [insert link here] the brings up the music player and plays the songs. In the viewing area above the player controls is a clickable link which has the link to the mp3/wav file but it just redirects me back to the browser. There are no options in the player ANYWHERE to save the file.

I've also tried long pressing the download link on Zedge and it downloads an mpga file, which is playabe but cannot be set as a ringtone. At Myxer the phone just vibrates and does nothing. When I click the link the browser simply reloads the page.

I'm using the G1, rooted with JF1.5.
This problem wasn't around pre-JF1.5 when I used JF33 but since I updated to 1.5, Zedge and Myxer have changed their layouts so that's where I'm guessing the problem is. Any I've found nothing on google, I know I'm not the only G1 user who uses Zedge and Myxer!
17th May 2009, 11:32 PM   |  #2  
Flag -8GMT
Thanks Meter: 17

110 posts
More
Have you tried phonezoo.com? I use them all the time and have 0 problems (other than the use of a text each time I want to download a tone).
18th May 2009, 04:25 AM   |  #3  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 88

852 posts
More
i have the same problem with zedge
the problem with zedge is that the song you download from the website doesnt have a metadata on the ringtone you dl
so when u dl a song off zedge in the phones browser
and use a file manager to move it to the ringtones folder it wont show up because the mp3 clip doesnt have meta data and the phone sees it as an empty file.
if you dl it from online and add some meta data (right click on the file -->details -->fill in the sections) it will show up on the phone

sucks i know but i dont knwo any other way
i just dl them on my comp edit it and send it to my phone
18th May 2009, 07:50 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 6

173 posts
More
Well the best thing I could figure out required two apps, Opera Mini and Linda File Manager.

I download the tone with Opera Mini, save it straight to the sdcard (main directory). Then (not sure if this step is necessary) rename the file (just changed 1 character), then copied it into my ringtone/notifications folder with LFM.

I'm pretty sure when I didn't rename it the file didn't show up in the ringtone list, but I could be wrong. It only takes like 5 more clicks to rename it so I do it anyways.

This way only sucks because Opera Mini sucks, lol. But hey, it works!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread