Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,020 Members 40,986 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Root for the HTC Magic/Sapphire] (from haykuro) (updated 5/23)

Tip us?

Flirtino
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Rooting and tethering...

I just rooted my Vodafone UK Magic (without installing the modified SPL) and I tried to install the Wireless for tethering program (the latest 1.5 build as well as the older 0.9 one) and it installs fine but still does not work when I try to start tethering... Says "Unable to start tethering..." Tried reinstalling the binaries/libraries but no luck. Any reason for this? Thanks

milanorico
Old
Thanks Meter 0
this doesn't work at all

everytime when i give fastboot command it just want to reboot and then it is stuck on the TIM splashscreen and doesn't do anything.

Help please i need to provide it with dutch language

Puky70
Old
Thanks Meter 2
@ all and haykuro,

I have an issue. First I have rooted my magic with this tutorial:

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.ph...=Magic_Rooting

After that I have activated Apps2SD within this code of RootMe Rom:

Code:
adb shell cp -r /data/app /system/sd/app
adb shell cp -r /data/app-private /system/sd/app-private
adb shell rm -r /data/app
adb shell ln -s /system/sd/app /data/app
adb shell rm - /data/app-private
adb shell ln -s /system/sd/app-private /data/app-private
No problem through this steps. After reboot all progams will be shown from ext2 partition. I have inserted the microSD card from my G1.

Now when I start Advanced Task Manager in order to finish all tasks, following message appear "Failed to end all due to lack of root access".

What have been wrong? Can anyone help me?

Thx

Kindly Regards

Puky70

YannR
Old
(Last edited by YannR; 30th May 2009 at 12:17 PM.) Reason: because I like to re-edit my posts... ;)
Thanks Meter 0
Hello,

It doesn't seem to be critical as I can run a "fastboot boot recovery-new.img" without any problem but I think my in-built Recovery is "broken". Starting with VolDown + Power gives me the HBOOT mode but I see displayed the following messages on the device :

SD Checking...
Loading...[SAPPDIAG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[SAPPDIAG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!
Loading...[SAPPIMG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[SAPPIMG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!

Then <BACK> FastBoot Mode is proposed. No Recovery/Nandroid screen.

My HTC Magic has already hacked SPL and I already did every steps described here :

And, being a noob on Android, should I try to flash the boot-new.img mentionned in the procedure posted here in this thread :
Quote:
fastboot boot boot-new.img
wait for device to boot.
adb push boot-new.img /sdcard/boot-new.img
adb push recovery-new.img /sdcard/recovery-new.img
adb shell flash_image boot /sdcard/boot-new.img
adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-new.img
adb shell reboot
But I'm suspecting Haykuro's Magic RooteMe ROM has done the job already... or? [Edit] And this is not related to the Recovery problem, right?

So, I'm wondering how I can get this sorted out... Any tips?
Yann
---------------------

cmf
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YannR View Post
Hello,

It doesn't seem to be critical as I can run a "fastboot boot recovery-new.img" without any problem but I think my in-built Recovery is "broken". Starting with VolDown + Power gives me the HBOOT mode but I see displayed the following messages on the device :

SD Checking...
Loading...[SAPPDIAG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[SAPPDIAG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!
Loading...[SAPPIMG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[SAPPIMG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!

Then <BACK> FastBoot Mode is proposed. No Recovery/Nandroid screen.

My HTC Magic has already hacked SPL and I already did every steps described here :

And, being a noob on Android, should I try to flash the boot-new.img mentionned in the procedure posted here in this thread :

But I'm suspecting Haykuro's Magic RooteMe ROM has done the job already... or? [Edit] And this is not related to the Recovery problem, right?

So, I'm wondering how I can get this sorted out... Any tips?
You get to the Recovery/Nandroid screen via Home + Power. You get to Fastboot via Vol-Dn + Power.

YannR
Old
Thanks Meter 0
LOL... I'm stupid...
Thank you, cmf!
Yann
---------------------

cmf
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YannR View Post
LOL... I'm stupid...
Thank you, cmf!
It's OK. I made the same mistake, backwards.. I was trying fastboot in Recovery/Nandroid mode.

stevetigersix
Old
(Last edited by stevetigersix; 30th May 2009 at 08:23 PM.) Reason: extra info
Thanks Meter 0
hi people im a complete self confesed n00b when it comes to android platform and ive just landed myself a htc magic/sapphire and wanted to do some improvements on it. Im okish on pcs so following instructions isnt an issue.

my questions this

is it easy peasy to root this bad boy and flash it with a new rom apart from the wiki guide to haykuro in this thread is it as easy as he suggests, also once rooted i gather you will no longer get ots updates,true or false. Also can we flash anything thats been done for the dream like the latest dream interfaces? looking foward to rosie comming our way eventually

btw anyone done a video tutorial or pic tutorial ive browsed youtube etc and found nothing

csw43
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Hi Steve, just follow the instructions as stated, it is as easy as it sounds. You will not be able to flash G1/dream interfaces, or at least its not advisable . The dream has a hardware keyboard etc......and yes you are right, no more ota updates.

Good luck

Craig

stevetigersix
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by csw43 View Post
Hi Steve, just follow the instructions as stated, it is as easy as it sounds. You will not be able to flash G1/dream interfaces, or at least its not advisable . The dream has a hardware keyboard etc......and yes you are right, no more ota updates.

Good luck

Craig
thanks for that craig i might jump in and do the fandango with it.....stilll worried about bricking it though lmao.

do you think we will get something like this from haykuro as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRX5N5bte68