Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

***Making Your Own EQ Settings!!! **UPDATE: PRE-MADE SETTINGS**

24th May 2009, 12:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 1,001

1,909 posts
Donate to Me
More
Uploaded one of many pre-made EQ settings. i will begin making more soon. This one is for you Drum n' Bass lovers out there, you know who you are :P although this sounds alright with other kinds of music (better than the flat EQ anyway) it is built predominantly for songs with low bass, i will be making more EQ settings, working on a good Rock one as we speak

You install this exactly the same as my AudioMods. REMEMBER!!! you will need my other modified files for this to have it's proper effect. using this alone will not increase the volume by much and might not even work

editing the EQ on the G1 isn't hard, but it's kinda long winded and requires a fair bit of tinkering.
i'll try and talk you through it as best i can i've already enabled the EQ, all you need to do is set it up to your needs.

step 1 - download included file (the EQ taken from V1 audiomod, so a slight volume increase)

step 2 - open it with Microsoft Excel

step 3 - Editing. The only line we're interested with is Row 6.
If you look at this line, it's all to do with the EQ. you have BAND1 all the way across to BAND8. basically, i wouldn't touch either BAND1 or BAND8 as these are only filtering out the really high and bottom end which you don't want.
ok, so looking at BAND2 we have:

BAND2 gain
BAND2 gain does essentially what it says on the tin, increases the gain/volume. REMEMBER!!! we're working in hex here, so the lowest is 0 and the highest is 0F (i think)

for those who don't know much about hex it goes:
0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0A,0B,0C,0D,0E,0F and then 10. but 10 loops back to 0's volume so 0F is as loud as you can go, and in comparison to V3, which is only on 0B, thats pretty damn loud.

BAND2 Freq
yup, you guessed it. this controlls at which frequency range the gain controlls. a lower number is lower and a higher number higher. This is pretty advanced tbh, i left it well alone lol

BAND2 type
this is a tricky one. I think this controls what type of EQ is happening at that point, e.g. a parametric, or it could even be Q control, i don't know.
we can judge by BAND1 and BAND 8 that type 1 is a low-shelving EQ and type 2 is a high-shelving EQ. basically, you don't want to use these. again, i left these well alone.

so yeah, thats about it really. Gain is the only main one you need to worry about. you also need a basic understanding of how an EQ works.
Increasing all the Gains to the same volume is fine, thats what i did in my mods, but that gives a very 'basic' sound. creating a Bass Boosting EQ, for example, would mean you increase the gain in the first few bands and keep them lower in the mid-high ranges.
research, some spare time and patience would come in handy

anyway guys, i hope this helps. feel free to ask any questions, although i wont be able to answer them until i get home from work tomorrow

here is a graphical representation of what i'm going on about. (i don't fully understand band 1 and 8 so i kinda left them out )

BTW this diagram and the file included is based on V2 so, as you can see in the diagram, the volume is already boosted quite a bit. i wouldn't go much higher tbh. 0B is V3 and thats pretty distorted, so i'd say thats about the limit. unless you're very brave :P

--------------Flat EQ (AudioFilter.zip) ------------------------ Drum n Bass style EQ (...DnB EQ.zip) ----------------- Rock style EQ (...Rock EQ.zip)

i can't say this is spot on what happens but it's a very basic guide from my 'interpretation' of how the EQ works :P
i hope this helps some of you
Attached Files
File Type: zip AudioFilter.zip - [Click for QR Code] (624 Bytes, 163 views)
File Type: zip AudioFilter(DnB EQ).zip - [Click for QR Code] (625 Bytes, 325 views)
File Type: zip AudioFilter(Rock EQ).zip - [Click for QR Code] (626 Bytes, 212 views)
Last edited by Meltus; 12th June 2009 at 02:17 AM.
24th May 2009, 12:45 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

190 posts
someone can write an app that will change this file within the OS?

amir
24th May 2009, 12:54 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

1,909 posts
Donate to Me
More
unfortunately i have not been able to make the settings change without rebooting the phone. but i imagine it's perfectly possible if someone can figure out how to do it
24th May 2009, 01:00 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

190 posts
does this Affects the headphones too?

amir
24th May 2009, 01:04 AM   |  #5  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 106

1,029 posts
More
What are the chages that you are using personally, I would like to try that first and go from there. Thanks.
24th May 2009, 04:51 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

1,909 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLine05

What are the chages that you are using personally, I would like to try that first and go from there. Thanks.

i'm just using my V2 atm which has a flat EQ. not had chance to mess with the settings properly.
it all depends what kinda of EQ you are after. i'm gonna try and make a 'smily-face' EQ (as we call it at college) which boosts the high and low end and leaves the mid range fairly untouched. personally, for the music i listen to (pendulum mainly ) it sounds pretty good.
24th May 2009, 05:08 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

114 posts
More
Well, I tried that but it's very hard to fine tune.
When it sounds good with the head phones, it sounds like crap with the loudspeaker and vice versa.
And having to reboot the phone each time you try new settings makes the process way too long to appreciate the difference.
24th May 2009, 05:23 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

1,909 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappletoo

When it sounds good with the head phones, it sounds like crap with the loudspeaker and vice versa.
And having to reboot the phone each time you try new settings makes the process way too long to appreciate the difference.

very true. we need a way of making the settings 'stick' without rebooting the phone
24th May 2009, 06:30 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

89 posts
Nice work! I will play around with this once I get out of the woods
24th May 2009, 08:25 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 30

369 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappletoo

Ya when I get to it, I'm gonna have 2 files set and saved on sdcard. One for line out/headphones. And one for phone speaker out put and just swap them on the fly via terminal.

What about sym links. Just have both files and point them where u want depending on what use ur using... now some gui with on the fly adj would be the best.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread