A possible fix
Here's what I did that fixed mine:
I think the root-cause of this error occurred from restoring old messages. There must have been a character/corruption somewhere that was screwing everything up.
Please note the following: I'm using an Evo 4G, running gingerbread-evo-deck-1.2 ROM. I realize this is a G1 thread, but this came up first on google, so I think it would be most helpful here. I was getting the error as described when using the "Messaging" app.
What I did:
- Terminal Emulator
- su (allow root if prompted)
- rm /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db
- Menu > Reset terminal (probably an unnecessary step, but it's what I did)
- home screen > remove battery while running
- wait 20 seconds
I don't know why removing the battery that way works. I did try force closing the "Message" app and it didn't work. I realize now I probably should have tried to figure out how to kill the underlying framework, but oh well. I'm not going to try breaking it again.