Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 36,698 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

com.android.mms force close now

Tip us?

nitefallz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default com.android.mms force close now

Something happened to my over the weekend. I found it had reset and kept resetting on the loading screen. I took the battery out, popped it on and turned it on. It made it to the home screen but all the apps I had stored on the SD card would close unexpectedly. It looked like ext2 partition crapped out or something as none of those apps would run. So I restored a backup from Nandroid and everything was working again EXCEPT for my SMS/MMS.

Whenever I go into messages, it crashes with a "force close" prompt stating com.android.mms closed unexpectedly. I'm thinking if I could clear all the messages I had save that would solve the problem, but I have no clue where they're stored.

Any advice?

nitefallz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Found what I needed here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ed#post2976069

I deleted the DB with the messages, all is well.

HorNet505
Old
Thanks Meter 0
same problem here,
clicking "sms" pops up an error msg "com.android.mms ended unexpected"
I have not found any .db files yet :(
HTC Desire
ROM: LeeDrOiD v2.5
Radio:32.56.00.32U_5.17.05.23
HBoot: Bravo PVT1 Ship S-Off
on ePlus Network (BASE)
-----------------------------------
Polaris (Orbit 2) on OČ Network
ROM: udK Syrius R8
Radio: 1.65.30.09
-----------------------------------
Dell Axim X50
WM5.0

alfa156v
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello,
Did you deleted mmssms.db or some of "PART_XXXXXXXXXX" files too?
Thanks!

VirtuallyNadine
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Deleting the mmssms.db file

For no apparent reason my phone's messaging app suddenly started force closing. After multiple reboots, even taking the battery out while phone was on, changing the language settings, and even doing a data factory reset, nothing worked. Found this post and deleted the mmssms.db file, now messaging app works fine, tho I lost all the old messages. That's ok, I had all but the last day backed up to Gmail anyway. So, just delete the database file.
MIUI Fanboy Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtuallyNadine View Post
For no apparent reason my phone's messaging app suddenly started force closing. After multiple reboots, even taking the battery out while phone was on, changing the language settings, and even doing a data factory reset, nothing worked. Found this post and deleted the mmssms.db file, now messaging app works fine, tho I lost all the old messages. That's ok, I had all but the last day backed up to Gmail anyway. So, just delete the database file.
I have the same problem. Did you permanently delete the database or is it still there? Cos I tried to delete the database throught root explorer but it still remains altho it has deleted all the messages saved in it.

zekesic
Old
Thanks Meter 2
any news on the com.android.mms subject????? I feel very frustrated with my android and i looked everywhere on the internet and can't manage to fix it!

echoota
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default A possible fix

Here's what I did that fixed mine:

I think the root-cause of this error occurred from restoring old messages. There must have been a character/corruption somewhere that was screwing everything up.

Please note the following: I'm using an Evo 4G, running gingerbread-evo-deck-1.2 ROM. I realize this is a G1 thread, but this came up first on google, so I think it would be most helpful here. I was getting the error as described when using the "Messaging" app.

What I did:
  1. Terminal Emulator
  2. su (allow root if prompted)
  3. rm /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db
  4. Menu > Reset terminal (probably an unnecessary step, but it's what I did)
  5. home screen > remove battery while running
  6. wait 20 seconds
  7. reboot

I don't know why removing the battery that way works. I did try force closing the "Message" app and it didn't work. I realize now I probably should have tried to figure out how to kill the underlying framework, but oh well. I'm not going to try breaking it again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to echoota For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

azzurra01
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoota View Post
Here's what I did that fixed mine:

I think the root-cause of this error occurred from restoring old messages. There must have been a character/corruption somewhere that was screwing everything up.

Please note the following: I'm using an Evo 4G, running gingerbread-evo-deck-1.2 ROM. I realize this is a G1 thread, but this came up first on google, so I think it would be most helpful here. I was getting the error as described when using the "Messaging" app.

What I did:
  1. Terminal Emulator
  2. su (allow root if prompted)
  3. rm /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db
  4. Menu > Reset terminal (probably an unnecessary step, but it's what I did)
  5. home screen > remove battery while running
  6. wait 20 seconds
  7. reboot

I don't know why removing the battery that way works. I did try force closing the "Message" app and it didn't work. I realize now I probably should have tried to figure out how to kill the underlying framework, but oh well. I'm not going to try breaking it again.

Works for me thanks