Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,065 Members 41,930 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

screen off while music plays using headsets

Tip us?

hmv
Old
(Last edited by hmv; 5th June 2009 at 12:28 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default screen off while music plays using headsets

I know this old and is a common problem but have searched Google, XDA-Developers, Xpansys and other forums without a working solution...

I have the TYTN II... when playing music either WMP or HTC Audio Manager the screen only dims. Side power button only dims and will NOT shut screen off from any application while music playing. The button works when music is not playing or headphones not plugged in. I even tried my bluetooth stereo headset and same problem while playing music.

I tried other apps like SPB PocketPlus (screen toggle), MortPlayer and PSshutXP with button assignments as well as a few other suggested "fixes" with no success. The results are the same. Even the power off buttons in these programs only dim my screen.

This used to work (side power button) but after installing some apps I noticed this problem. Unfortunately can't pinpoint exactly when it started. Not sure if they are the culprits. Apps that were installed...

walking hotspot
vsdraw
phonex
pocket mechanic
miriam webster

I also unistalled Phonex because I thought it was causing my phone to shutdown but later found out my battery is heading for the graveyard (almost 1.5yrs). I later reinstalled Phonex.

I did find a reg fix to keep music playing while off but without headset. Once a headset is plugged in or BT connected, then screen only dims.
wav1=0 in System\CurrentControlSet\...\Unattended key
UnattendedPlayback=1 in Software\Microsoft\Media Player\Preferences key

I have spent at least 12 solid hours over the past week looking for a fix with no working solution. I really don't want to resort to ROM flash since I may not be able to re-install some important apps. Anyways... anybody with a registry (or other) fix on this?

PLEEEEASE help!!! I travel intensively and listen to audio teachings while on the go.
<>< everything's gonna be alright

hmv
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default TYTN II screen off solved!!!

Praise the Lord!!! found a solution that works! ...just can't remember the post anymore where I found this answer to give credit to the guy...

Well, just put this little screen saver .exe file on your device somewhere and then would be best to put a shortcut in the StartMenu. When you want to turn the screen off (i.e. during playback) then go to Start Menu and click the link. Works like a charm.

Scrsaver.zip

btonetbone
Old
Thanks Meter 35
I use psShutXP to turn off my screen for problems like that. It does similar things, but also contains button to soft reset as well as turn off the screen.
Ivan
Enjoy the show!

eigerzoom
Old
(Last edited by eigerzoom; 7th June 2009 at 08:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 64
Location: darkness just straight and falling from endless skies
coreplayer has the option built in and is a better player as well
you can assign "blank screen" to any hardware button
i assigned it to the space bar as i have one of my hardware buttons bring up the input panel
works with bluetooth and btaudiotoggle
if audio is the main goal...coreplayer should be your answer
Where The Buffalowned Roam

TeleFragger
Old
Thanks Meter 4
i just use s2p (slide2play)

LOVE IT!!!!!
plus i use s2u (slide2unlock)

so when I start up my music.. hit the power button and music stays running but device turns off and locks... grab phone and hit power button you can control the player but not dial out or anything until you slide to unlock again....
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 unrooted

Next oldie - keepin for a gps for my mud truck
**Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II, Epic 4G Touch on the Bean
Snowboarding accident... i lived.. it didnt..
**Sprint - Mogul Rom: Titan Reloaded M2D 1.4 beta 2 Radio: 3.42.50

hmv
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default screen only dims when playing music

The screensaver fix works but found out (in the dark) that the screen only goes black and not off. There is still a faint back light so some power is still being consumed. Has anyone found a registry fix?

All these other options listed in this post still only dim my screen while headphones plugged in. It works well when no headphones in use... There must be a registry key I can edit.