Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more
Post Reply

UK Vodafone Magic Root & Rom summary/help.

OP mwade12001

21st June 2009, 03:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
31 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
OK just spent a significant amount of time reading your forums and im nearly there just wanted some clarification on rooting and choice of roms for a UK Vodafone Magic as there doesnt seem to be one collection of advice for UK voda's. Here's how I think it goes please correct me!!

1. Root using haykuro’s method and files in the wiki. (Did read a post about uk voda users then having to flash a rom because reboot didnt work fully.)

2. Update the SPL according to the same wiki article. This is where its hazy!!! I am now left with a rooted magic with stock rom, (ie uk voda in my case.) an updated spl, allowing me to now do a full nandroid backup of stock rom or only a backup of installed apps only???? See where im getting confused??


If I then choose to not flash a rom to my Magic I am now running my stock rom (or a haykuro rom.) but with the added bonus of it being rooted, which in-turn allows me to run those useful apps available in the store, bluex, setCPU etc???????

God am I going mad!!
21st June 2009, 05:03 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 11
 
180 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwade12001

God am I going mad!!

You and me both I'm in exactly the same situation as you, with the same decisions to make and same questions. I personally wouldn't mind installing a stock ION rom (or maybe the Japanese version since I speak English/Japanese) but essentially would like to know what you would like to know! Before I change my SPL though, I'd like to know if I can back it up.
21st June 2009, 05:10 PM   |  #3  
Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 1
 
88 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2005
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwade12001

OK just spent a significant amount of time reading your forums and im nearly there just wanted some clarification on rooting and choice of roms for a UK Vodafone Magic as there doesnt seem to be one collection of advice for UK voda's. Here's how I think it goes please correct me!!

1. Root using haykuro’s method and files in the wiki. (Did read a post about uk voda users then having to flash a rom because reboot didnt work fully.)

2. Update the SPL according to the same wiki article. This is where its hazy!!! I am now left with a rooted magic with stock rom, (ie uk voda in my case.) an updated spl, allowing me to now do a full nandroid backup of stock rom or only a backup of installed apps only???? See where im getting confused??


If I then choose to not flash a rom to my Magic I am now running my stock rom (or a haykuro rom.) but with the added bonus of it being rooted, which in-turn allows me to run those useful apps available in the store, bluex, setCPU etc???????

God am I going mad!!



try here, this will help you

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.ph...=Magic_Rooting

thanks

B
21st June 2009, 05:52 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
31 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
Thanks for the fast response, this is the wiki i was referring to in my original post a helpful guide it is but it still doesn't answer the question, after I complete all the steps listed. Which rom will be on my phone?? the original rom?? (Vodafone in my case) or the haykuro rom??
21st June 2009, 07:18 PM   |  #5  
Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 1
 
88 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2005
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwade12001

Thanks for the fast response, this is the wiki i was referring to in my original post a helpful guide it is but it still doesn't answer the question, after I complete all the steps listed. Which rom will be on my phone?? the original rom?? (Vodafone in my case) or the haykuro rom??


Sorry have changed my rom a few times now. no, your rom will be replaced and and I think you will find te new rom its the ION rom.

Thanks

B
21st June 2009, 07:29 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
london
Thanks Meter: 39
 
586 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2005
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwade12001

OK just spent a significant amount of time reading your forums and im nearly there just wanted some clarification on rooting and choice of roms for a UK Vodafone Magic as there doesnt seem to be one collection of advice for UK voda's. Here's how I think it goes please correct me!!

1. Root using haykuro’s method and files in the wiki. (Did read a post about uk voda users then having to flash a rom because reboot didnt work fully.)

2. Update the SPL according to the same wiki article. This is where its hazy!!! I am now left with a rooted magic with stock rom, (ie uk voda in my case.) an updated spl, allowing me to now do a full nandroid backup of stock rom or only a backup of installed apps only???? See where im getting confused??


If I then choose to not flash a rom to my Magic I am now running my stock rom (or a haykuro rom.) but with the added bonus of it being rooted, which in-turn allows me to run those useful apps available in the store, bluex, setCPU etc???????

God am I going mad!!

I haven't rooted mine yet either.
As a vetran of WMO I am a bit confused, but basically I think you can't root and keep your original Vodafone rom.
To do this, someone would have had to have produced a rooted version of this rom and no one has.
you can install the latest generic ion rom rooted.
if you want to go back to vodafone you'll have to find the rom.

The other annoying thing is that you can't do a rom backup without rooting it .... duh!

if I am wrong, someone please correct me!!
21st June 2009, 10:03 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
31 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
As i feared!! so the rom for rooting your magic also replaces the system with the haykuro ion rom. So as yet there is now way of keeping/backing up the original voda uk magic rom. (To revert back to at a later stage or if you f**k it up!!)

So this now leaves us uk voda magic users with the question which rom to go for which has the same functions as the uk voda rom. Ive read about the main ones ion r3 lite, nk02s htc beta 3, the rodgers and most recently the hero rom. Sounds like the community is really geting going!!

I am looking for :

1. wifi
2. bluetooth
3. 3G
4. Google sync
5. camera (as ive heard some roms dont support it.)
6. market (once again some roms with problems.)
7. superuser (obviously.)
8. Location
9. Voice is a bonus but not essential as uk voda does not have it

OK so i want it all lol, So far the Ion r3-lite looks the most suited but i cannot confirm the camera works so come on you clever ppl help us uk voda's out!!
Thx
21st June 2009, 10:14 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
31 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian colston

Sorry have changed my rom a few times now. no, your rom will be replaced and and I think you will find te new rom its the ION rom.

Thanks

B

Thanks for the clarification Brian, so which roms have you tried and what are you using currently?
21st June 2009, 10:31 PM   |  #9  
Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 1
 
88 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2005
More
look, the first thing on this site to use is the search fuction. You can backup your current rom with nandroid backup. so please search before posting



http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=524925

Thanks


B
21st June 2009, 10:39 PM   |  #10  
Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 1
 
88 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2005
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwade12001

Thanks for the clarification Brian, so which roms have you tried and what are you using currently?

I have messed around with all the roms at the moment even the superhero. i am using at the moment the HTC one, but i have added a few things myself to the rom. i keep messing about with them all the time and spend more time flashing it han using it.

if you need any help just let me know


Thanks

B

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
rom flashing, rooting, vodafone
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes