Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,731 Members 40,755 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Update 6-07]HTC Hero ROM for Magic by Fatal1ty

Tip us?

kev30
Old
(Last edited by kev30; 9th July 2009 at 05:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkyevolved View Post
Hey guys, I've got a question. I started reading this thread since page one and I've gone through so many pages, and what I'd like know is where did the instructions go on the page on how to flash this rom?

I'm a complete n00b and I don't know how to flash any roms on this phone, but i'd like to. Many people in the thread stated that the first post showed how to.

Is "Rename it in update.zip
copy to sd
reboot (pressing home+power)
wipe
apply update"

The process?

Can anyone give a step by step post / thread on how to update to this rom? Thanks a bunch!
hey zkyevolved,

I'm also a complete noob to android. Here's what I did to get this HERO working on my Ion (magic):

- First, you need to root your magic, GO HERE... I used Method 2.
- Make sure you download the right recovery image for your magic. HERE If your magic is vodafone branded, download RAv1.1.1G. Rogers and unbranded versions download RAv1.1.1H.
- Make sure you do a nandroid backup first.
- Once you root your magic, download Fatal1ty's Hero v1.4 rom on this thread
- Rename the zip to "update.zip"
- Copy to sd card
- Power off your phone
- With the USB plugged in, hold the Back and Power keys (to get back in the fastboot mode)
- Open up DOS Command Prompt under windows
- type those cd commands to redirect to your tool directory of your extract sdk you downloaded (Ex: c:\android\sdk\tools)
- Still under the command prompt, type this: fastboot boot recovery-Av1.1.1.H.img or fastboot boot recovery-Av1.1.1.G.img
- On your phone screen, select "Wipe data/factory reset"
- After it finishes that, select "Apple sdcard:update.zip"
- Will take a couple of minutes
- Reset phone and you should be in the HERO rom. (Make sure you unplug your USB)
- Initial boot up going into the new rom will take a while. have patient.

Hope this helps.

npw
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy1980 View Post
Ok, I have switched to 1.4 today (from a non-Hero build) and stripped out all of the Hero stuff that I don't actually want from the update.zip and resigned. I removed Rosie and a whole lot of other stuff becase to be honest, the browser and the Hero "look" are the only things that I am interested in now anyway. I also removed andrea.baccega.andrinit.apk (swap?) as this seemed to eventually slow things down. The result was a prety damn snappy OS... HOWEVER... I am still missing some SMS's.

There does seem to be a pattern, for me at least anyway. If I send a message I get the reply, if I reply to that message I WILL NOT get the reply.

I have tested this a couple of times and it seems consistent.

Strangely, on jerpelea's 001 Hero build I did not see this issue but have since tested his 002 and 004 and Fatl1ty's 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 and unfortunately see the issue on them all.

Back to the Hero themed HTC build it is for me i'm afraid!

Thanks for the hard work none the less, I am still tempted back on a daily basis!!!
I am having the same emotional rollercoaster. I have had to return to using an ION rom, a shame as the SMS issue is the only one I having, everything else was running very smoothly. Its a fairly big issue though, phones normally are just used for calls and texts :)

Heres hoping something comes to light.

shingers5
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3084
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev30 View Post
hey zkyevolved,

I'm also a complete noob to android. Here's what I did to get this HERO working on my Ion (magic):

- First, you need to root your magic, GO HERE... I used Method 2.
- Make sure you download the right recovery image for your magic. HERE If your magic is vodafone branded, download RAv1.1.1G. Rogers and unbranded versions download RAv1.1.1H.
- Make sure you do a nandroid backup first.
- Once you root your magic, download Fatal1ty's Hero v1.4 rom on this thread
- Rename the zip to "update.zip"
- Copy to sd card
- Power off your phone
- With the USB plugged in, hold the Back and Power keys (to get back in the fastboot mode)
- Open up DOS Command Prompt under windows
- type those cd commands to redirect to your tool directory of your extract sdk you downloaded (Ex: c:\android\sdk\tools)
- Still under the command prompt, type this: fastboot boot recovery-Av1.1.1.H.img or fastboot boot recovery-Av1.1.1.G.img
- On your phone screen, select "Wipe data/factory reset"
- After it finishes that, select "Apple sdcard:update.zip"
- Will take a couple of minutes
- Reset phone and you should be in the HERO rom. (Make sure you unplug your USB)
- Initial boot up going into the new rom will take a while. have patient.

Hope this helps.
wow don't even do all that...........once magic/ion is rooted i change the name of the rom file to update.zip and copy to mem card. i use either the mount card option or external mem card reader. don't even need to plug in phone. after you copy update.zip to mem card.....with phone off press home and back buttons and it will bring up boot menu. choose to wipe device and the install sd card update.zip..........that easy and none of that adb push nonsense. HOLLA!
LG G3 - WHITE 16gb
SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 2 - N7100
All Custom Roms I use are built by Vertigo and Ben. Trust those guys completely

After owning so many at once I have decided to try something new by using one....It may not last but for now thats it

shingers5
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3084
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptekelly View Post
I have found one or two problems at the moment with this build
  • Contact photo wont update from facebook (mine as well)
  • I get the "SD is corrupt" problem now if i mount thene demount the card
  • Peep doesnt work for me - dont get any updates or unknown respons from server
  • Cant sync with pc - get force close

Other than this it is working quite well - i get a few freeze ups - especially when listening to music and i need to do something else - like answer the phone

Paul
facebook photo fine
no sd card error
no sync issues at all

lag is there and thats it.
LG G3 - WHITE 16gb

After owning so many at once I have decided to try something new by using one....It may not last but for now thats it

hughyb
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy1980 View Post
Ok, I have switched to 1.4 today (from a non-Hero build) and stripped out all of the Hero stuff that I don't actually want from the update.zip and resigned. I removed Rosie and a whole lot of other stuff becase to be honest, the browser and the Hero "look" are the only things that I am interested in now anyway. I also removed andrea.baccega.andrinit.apk (swap?) as this seemed to eventually slow things down. The result was a prety damn snappy OS... HOWEVER... I am still missing some SMS's.

There does seem to be a pattern, for me at least anyway. If I send a message I get the reply, if I reply to that message I WILL NOT get the reply.

I have tested this a couple of times and it seems consistent.

Strangely, on jerpelea's 001 Hero build I did not see this issue but have since tested his 002 and 004 and Fatl1ty's 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 and unfortunately see the issue on them all.

Back to the Hero themed HTC build it is for me i'm afraid!

Thanks for the hard work none the less, I am still tempted back on a daily basis!!!
Timmy1980 I must echo your comments, i have just got back to my original rom but am tempted by each new rom that comes along but the missing text and the gradual slowing down has pushed me back. I think the work done by these guys is amazing and appreciate it all and their guidance but I may just wait until there is a real buzz about the next rom.

ANy chance you can point me in the direction of the hero themed htc build?

frankinmerth
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I tried the rogers magic v1.4 build as per the instructions here:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1545226

So far so good for the most part functional.

Issues I've had:
1. nandroid backup froze, so no backup
2. Ringtones extended does not seem to engage/work, installed it first from an sdcard backup, then reinstalled from app store, still no go.
3. Had one issue where vibe got stuck on during a call
4. occasional really long durations of 'loading' when using applications.

bcrook
Old
(Last edited by bcrook; 9th July 2009 at 08:30 PM.) Reason: .
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shingers5 View Post
wow don't even do all that...........once magic/ion is rooted i change the name of the rom file to update.zip and copy to mem card. i use either the mount card option or external mem card reader. don't even need to plug in phone. after you copy update.zip to mem card.....with phone off press home and back buttons and it will bring up boot menu. choose to wipe device and the install sd card update.zip..........that easy and none of that adb push nonsense. HOLLA!
This is the best way to do it but it will only work that way if you have flashed the rooted recovery:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...15&postcount=1

Otherwise you dont get the option to wipe/update/backup/ etc and will get a different recovery screen which an exclamation sign and a phone.

cj136uk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default SD card curruption

this is not mounting and unmounting the card automatically. it then says that basically it's corrupted but will NOT format.
if you take the card out and reinsert it crashes the device!
ARGH
J

shingers5
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3084
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj136uk View Post
this is not mounting and unmounting the card automatically. it then says that basically it's corrupted but will NOT format.
if you take the card out and reinsert it crashes the device!
ARGH
J
annoying isn't it? i had to pull my battery to get it back ok. still looks so good doesn't it? i love it and can't wait for new update without lag............
LG G3 - WHITE 16gb

jemx33
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbender77 View Post
hey guys will this rom work on my tmobile mytouch 3g?? please anyone know??

i would like to know this too? i would love to have hero on the t-mobile mytouch?!?!?