No registration required

[GUIDE] ADB, Fastboot, and Nandroid for Noobs

OP nephron

3rd July 2009, 03:10 PM   |  #11  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 11

170 posts
More
push apk via abd while in recovery mode?
Is it possible to use ADB to push apk files to the phone when the phone is in recovery mode? I tried and it didn't work (the files I was trying to replace weren't overwritten), and I'm wondering if it's because I did something wrong, or if it just doesn't work. I have adb working fine otherwise, have used it a bunch, including to push files while the phone was booted normally.

Specifically, I want to push the calendar.apk and calendarprovider.apk (I like the 1x4 calendar widget better than the 2x2). I want to do this in recovery mode so that the calendar isn't running when the file gets overwritten. I keep having calendar problems after pushing the 1x4 widget, and I think the problems are due to the calendar being active when the file gets replaced.
Last edited by heldc; 3rd July 2009 at 03:13 PM.
3rd July 2009, 03:29 PM   |  #12  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 0

234 posts
More
ADB Commands...
First I would like to say I think the guide is great. Though I don't have a lot of use for it, but I have some suggestions to make:

1. List some ADB commands and what they do, specifically how to use them, and what you would use them for. This forum has taught me so much about my phone and linux, but sometimes it was a slow learning process. Working the ADB push/pull feature was confusing when I first started using it.

2. Nandroid Back-ups. I still don't think I am using it correctly. I know there is a guide, but it still seems confusing. Maybe dumb it down a little.

3. Maybe more information on fastboot. I'm not sure exactly what it is or does, seems like just another version of recovery terminal, which from everything I have learned so far, if you can't get to your recovery terminal, you probably won't be able to get to your fastboot either.
3rd July 2009, 03:34 PM   |  #13  
Flag Washington, DC

170 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccunningham83

Maybe more information on fastboot. I'm not sure exactly what it is or does, seems like just another version of recovery terminal, which from everything I have learned so far, if you can't get to your recovery terminal, you probably won't be able to get to your fastboot either.

Actually, you can access fastboot from the bootloader, so it's available even if the recovery console isn't.
3rd July 2009, 04:13 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 12

1,364 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heldc

Is it possible to use ADB to push apk files to the phone when the phone is in recovery mode? I tried and it didn't work (the files I was trying to replace weren't overwritten), and I'm wondering if it's because I did something wrong, or if it just doesn't work. I have adb working fine otherwise, have used it a bunch, including to push files while the phone was booted normally.

Specifically, I want to push the calendar.apk and calendarprovider.apk (I like the 1x4 calendar widget better than the 2x2). I want to do this in recovery mode so that the calendar isn't running when the file gets overwritten. I keep having calendar problems after pushing the 1x4 widget, and I think the problems are due to the calendar being active when the file gets replaced.

In recovery, nothing is mounted. So in order to push and overwrite the calender and calenderproviders, you have to do this in recovery/adb shell

mount /system/app

After that, You should be able to push the files + overwrite them =]. QQ why do you want to do this inrecovery and not when the phone is turned on and fully functional?o_o
3rd July 2009, 04:14 PM   |  #15  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 0

234 posts
More
but how many times is bootloader available when recovery console isn't? I understand they are different, but from everything I have seen, if you can get one, you can get the other and if you can't get one, you cant get the other either.
3rd July 2009, 04:16 PM   |  #16  

1,364 posts
Quote:

First I would like to say I think the guide is great. Though I don't have a lot of use for it, but I have some suggestions to make:

1. List some ADB commands and what they do, specifically how to use them, and what you would use them for. This forum has taught me so much about my phone and linux, but sometimes it was a slow learning process. Working the ADB push/pull feature was confusing when I first started using it.

2. Nandroid Back-ups. I still don't think I am using it correctly. I know there is a guide, but it still seems confusing. Maybe dumb it down a little.

3. Maybe more information on fastboot. I'm not sure exactly what it is or does, seems like just another version of recovery terminal, which from everything I have learned so far, if you can't get to your recovery terminal, you probably won't be able to get to your fastboot either.

If you type "adb" in terminal you get a whole list of the options and what they do Also what part of nandroid backup don't you understand? Its just booting into recovery and alt+b. I assume you mean nandroid restores right? Drop me a PM maybe I can help you
3rd July 2009, 04:18 PM   |  #17  

1,364 posts
Quote:

but how many times is bootloader available when recovery console isn't? I understand they are different, but from everything I have seen, if you can get one, you can get the other and if you can't get one, you cant get the other either.

Its because the boot loader is dependent on the SPL and if you flash the "Danger" SPL which is basically the only one that causes problems, then you have a chance of bricking your phone. In that case, brick = no bootloader no recovery
3rd July 2009, 04:22 PM   |  #18  
Flag Washington, DC

170 posts
More
Quote:

Well, actually, I recently had just this happen. My fiance got a g1, and somehow in flashing it for him, it ended up without a working recovery console. It wouldn't flash the recovery image from within the OS, so I had to use fastboot to flash the recovery image. So, it's quite possible to have a bootloader and no recovery console.
3rd July 2009, 04:25 PM   |  #19  
Flag Washington, DC

170 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alritewhadeva

In recovery, nothing is mounted. So in order to push and overwrite the calender and calenderproviders, you have to do this in recovery/adb shell

mount /system/app

After that, You should be able to push the files + overwrite them =]. QQ why do you want to do this inrecovery and not when the phone is turned on and fully functional?o_o

Ah ha, that's likely the problem, thanks!

Like I said, I want to overwrite a system app, the calendar. Every time I've done this with the phone "fully functional", the app ends up constantly force closing. I suspect this might be due to corruption from overwriting the app while it's running. I'm hoping that if I replace the app when the OS isn't on, the replacement app will work properly.
3rd July 2009, 05:05 PM   |  #20  

1,364 posts
No problem You could also try replacing the calender app in a ROM and resigin it and then flash it. Have you tried rebooting after replacing the Calender app when the phone is I quote from myself " fully functional "?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, fastboot, guide, noob
Previous Thread Next Thread