Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,262 Members 49,852 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] ADB, Fastboot, and Nandroid for Noobs

Tip us?

Daneshm90
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 634
Default Fastboot

Hey i was learning more about Fastboot when i came across this http://www.gotontheinter.net/content...ot-cheat-sheet

I saw that a partition it listed was cache n it said its used by tmobile for ota updates. I am in canada n am on fido so im wondering for those who dont do ota updates, can we somehow utilize this space ?

Thanks

nephron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
First of all thanks for all the comments and advice. Im gonna put up some commands for ADB and some more info along the way. What i found is that for people that dont use the command prompt a lot its easier to have a user interface. Thats why i included the ADB File Explorer which removes the need for any commands in the cmd.

Mikey
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1001

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by heldc View Post
I think the problems are due to the calendar being active when the file gets replaced.
Or it depends on some other program that needs it
Code:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus               Tablet: Google Nexus 7
ROM: PURITY JDQ39                         ROM: PURITY JDQ39
Kernel: AK Kernel Diamond ed.             Kernel: M-Kernel
Baseband: I925OUGLH1                      Bootloader: v4.18
Recovery: TWRP v2.4.3.0                   Recovery: TWRP v2.4.3.0

heldc
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1022 View Post
Or it depends on some other program that needs it
Possibly that too. But replacing calendar.apk&calendarprovider.apk while the phone was in recovery got me a working calendar and the widget style I want (tho the widget doesn't update, but that's a known issue). So, whatever was causing the problem, replacing while in recovery (after having cleared calendar data before the replace) took care of it.
"Well-behaved women seldom make history."-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NeoBlade
Old
Thanks Meter 80
I could help assist with ADB as well (shall just pull it from my guide) as well as attach some BAT files to make things a lot easier for those who have a working ADB.

As for someone who asked for a Nandroid guide, the one provided is pretty easy already as it gives you a user interface so you just press a button and off it goes. Alternatively just use Cyanogen's latest recovery image (check my sig) and flash that as you can do a nandroid restore straight from your mobile phone ^_^

nephron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
BAT files would be nice, but i included the ADB File Explorer which has a UI so its much easier than using any type of cmd. As for a nandroid guide, im still working on it. Its just that i have never used a nandroid backup and still learning myself.

nephron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
Added Nandroid Backup and Restore Guide!

NeoBlade
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Nandroid is really easy to use and the guide up atm I feel is sufficient enough. If you want though I can write a guide no problems for it plus screenshots. Just throw me a PM ^_^

BAT files make life a hell of a lot easier though that's for sure for many things.

nephron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
i made the nandroid backup guide small becuase most people that are new to this whole developing stuff dont really know how to use a cmd or are too scared to use one. I used the cm recovery method because it is short, easy, and effective. I can post screenshots as well, but as of right now i find them un necessery. Thanks for the help though

NeoBlade
Old
Thanks Meter 80
It would be useful though in my opinion to do one using ADB as there might be others who have not flashed Cyanogen's recovery image or want to flash a different version of their backups for comparison use.

Its not difficult and there is even a GUI (graphical user interface) for people to click on for a full Nandroid restore. It even checks that you have the right files ready to flash and if ADB works.

Its your call though as I too have quite a lot of Android newbie friendly guides on my website waiting to be uploaded.

Tags
adb, fastboot, guide, noob