What is a 'mock location'.

Tip us?

octavia
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default What is a 'mock location'.

Hi,

I'm posting this here because I'm kind of in a hurry and I might get a better answer here. I'm translating an Android phone, and it's full of commands in very broken English. So I ran across this term (mock) that I've never seen in such context and I want to know if that's the actual name or it's just broken English for 'fake' (fictitious).

This is the description of the function:
Quote:
mock location

Create mock location sources for testing. Malicious applications can use this to override the location and/or status returned by real location sources such as GPS or Network providers.
'Mock' to me is this: sticking your tongue out and make fun of the stupid so I don't get it. The term 'fake' is also used so it somebody might have overlooked at it and use 'mock' instead, or it's a different process. I'd appreciate any help.

IzzeLing
Old
Thanks Meter 2
It means it is not a real location obtained from the GPS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IzzeLing For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rikupw
Old
Thanks Meter 2
mock location is the actual term used to allow you to specify (I believe in the android emulator) a location seperate from what you're actually at (to allow GPS on the emulator, when there is actually no GPS hardware preset, used for testing purposes)
The Following User Says Thank You to rikupw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

octavia
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Thank you so much to the both of you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octavia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Titan33
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I know this is an old topic but with everything being said do we want the "mock location box checked on or unchecked off??

Binary100100
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1102

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan33 View Post
I know this is an old topic but with everything being said do we want the "mock location box checked on or unchecked off??
If you want to accurately get a pinpoint of your location you want it off.
If you want it to tell you strange locations like Antarctica then turn it on.
Device(s) Info:

HTC Amaze 4G :
Energy ICS | Rooted | SIM Unlocked | HBOOT-1.93.2222 JuopunutBear S-OFF | Recovery 4ext | Kernel: HTC Stock

HTC EVO View 4G:
[ACS]CleverNameHere Rom RLS 1 (HC) | hboot 6.14.5556 | Revolutionary S-OFF | TWRP 1.0.3 Port

Samsung SGH-T959 Vibrant (unlocked) :
FFC v2 Mod
| Bionix NextGen 2 | Kernel: OverStock 2.4.1 | KB5 Modem | ClockworkMod Recovery

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Binary100100 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Burko
Old
Thanks Meter 17
If the phone can fake locations randomly, surely it can also fake location on demand to wherever a user wanted?

This would be extremely helpful for apps which are location based. i.e nba league pass.

evilkorn
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burko View Post
If the phone can fake locations randomly, surely it can also fake location on demand to wherever a user wanted?

This would be extremely helpful for apps which are location based. i.e nba league pass.
No, this is referred to in the emulator (on a computer) not the actual phone.

I have never seen my phone fake a location randomly. Talk to the NBA about blackout restrictions.

casron
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you to All.

Devin-J
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Wink thank you very much for the info

thank you very much for the info

and wow this is the second search result in google.com for 'what is allow mock locations android' HAHA.