Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,351 Members 39,595 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Should I upgrade to Dash 3G?

Tip us?

audiofx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Should I upgrade to Dash 3G?

I've had my Dash 1 for about a year now and happy with it. I upgraded it to the 6.1 rom.

I'm not sure if I should upgrade to the new Dash 3G. I use my phone mostly for IRC, texting, and corp email. I try to web browse with IE/Skyfire but most of the time, the phone will run out of memory due to the heavy email client that I need to use (Good Messaging).

I do not see any thing that the Dash 3G will offer me that I don't already have. Stable web browsing would be nice though. GPS a plus since I tend to rely on Google Maps.

Is the Dash 3G the must have upgrade for us Dash 1 users? Since I bought my Dash 1 at full price, I still qualify for the 2 year contract for $169 at T-Mobile (I hate contracts!).

I was considering posting this in the Maple forum, but it would probably get more views here.

phatmanxxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1084
D3G has alot more RAM and a higher clock speed, plus the keyboard looks easier to type on. If your happy with your Dash you can just hang on to it until the price goes down on the D3G in a few months. With higher end phones being offered on AT&T for cheaper w/contract, I can see them lowering the price sooner than expected.

From what Ive seen it definantly is an upgrade for Dash users, and cooked ROMs are already in the works. I cant wait to get my hands on one, especially since im in a T-mo 3g area.
I am phatman and I am a flashaholic
LG G2 D800

josh909
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am a currently on T-Mobile and was just about to switch to AT&T, mainly because I couldn't use 3g with my Tilt. I really wanted 3g speeds since you can do 'internet sharing' in windows mobile, then tether it to my laptop via bluetooth. This would open a whole new world for me...I've only had my tilt a few months now...and I'm itching bad for 3g.

I'm not sure on t-mobile's stance on tethering, although when I was on the phone with one of their escalation techs for 'non t-mobile phones' in the past, they were pretty cool with giving me info on tethering, and even refering me to xda-developers. I'm sure their default Dash 3g will probably be missing the applications for that option though.

I'm still trying to decide if I should get the new MyTouch vs. Dash 3g...I've read about google blocking an app that allowed Andriod tethering, does anyone know if its still available/possible?

cswroe
Old
Thanks Meter 150
I have had my 3G for about a week. It is a great phone. I miss my Excalibur, it has been the best phone I have ever owned and the support and ROM's here are absolutely awesome.
  • Do you have 3G service where you live, work, and/or travel often?
  • Are you running applications that exceed current memory?
  • Are there applications that you do not run because of speed and/or memory limitations?

I will say that I absolutely hated to shelf the Excalibur but I do enjoy the speed of the device and the data network. Tethering is the same as the previous model. The battery life is great, and the trackball took getting used to but has become indespensable. The first couple days I really debated keeping it, but am glad I did....at least for now.

jdshifflett
Old
Banned
Thanks Meter 0
i think if you're in a 3g area and can hold back on getting better cooked roms and want to deal with a blackberry wannabe retard trackball then you should go for it. i ordered one just off the principle that the silver piece on my dash started peeling off and i needed something that wasnt fallling apart but.. i love the dash. although the buttons on the 3g are amazing. no joggr though... who says you can't swap your sim every once in a while. i hear you have to get a different data plan for the 3g service though.. not sure yet but i'm sure someone does

takeastand
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm looking on Ebay at the Dash 3G and I'm not seeing any that's unlocked. Does anyone know if anyone has unlocked a Dash 3G yet? I need to use in on AT&T.

audiofx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I really can't see any benefits to going to the Dash 3g.

- No 3G service in my area
- Same screen, same resolution as Dash 1

GPS would be nice, but I'm planning on getting the next iPod Touch which is rumored to have it. Can't use iPhone because I need corp email.

The Dash 3G would give me better web browsing and probably longer battery life. For $169 with no contract I would probably pick one up. I hate signing the 2 year contract in case I want to switch phones. The Dash 3G might really show it's age in 2 years.

But I am a fan of the Dash. I cannot stand stylus/touch screen on the other Windows Mobile phones.

audiofx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
and I just read Telenav is $9.99/month. I will not be getting GPS on the Dash 3G then.

phatmanxxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofx View Post
and I just read Telenav is $9.99/month. I will not be getting GPS on the Dash 3G then.
Thats why I use Google Maps and amAze, its free!
I am phatman and I am a flashaholic
LG G2 D800

AKMark
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default 3G Tether

My friendly T-Mobile rep told me that T-Mo will not support tethering any 3G phone because they don't want to sacrifice the bandwidth.

My solution (until last week) was to use my G1 and swap my sim to my Tilt when I needed to tether. That stopped last week when my G1 suddenly started to refuse any data connection with a notice that I needed to change to a G1 compatible data plan.

More discussion with the T-Mo folks has gotten them to offer to replace my G1 with any other phone, and I think I may go to the D3G and then keep my Tilt charged for tethering until there is a D3G rom that will support it.

Thoughts?