(update 21/07 5pm) JACHeroSKI FULL 32B Fully Working (Any dream ROM :))

Search This thread

dazcox5181

Feb 3, 2009
london
Hi,

Sorry if I'm wrong,

But thanks to NK02 mentioning in a thread to make one small change to boot.img ramdisk I now have JACHero 2.7.3 fully working (WIFI Bluetooth & FAST!) on my Magic 32B.

I used the normal update.zip from the dream forum, and extracted and changed the boot.img and flashed it in fastboot.

Heres the boot.img to save you making the change as well

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R8OX15W1

I had also previously partitioned my sd card to have an ext2 and swap partition, all of which have been set up automatically so I know the boot.img is working as intended.

:) Very happy bunny now :)

UPDATE:

Seems to work for some. Having your SD card prepped with 3 partitions helps a lot.
Speed is going to be slower than say the NK02 Cyano ROM, but thats down to Rosie and the limited RAM, don't think we'll ever get that perfect.

At least now we know a way to use Dream Roms easily (sorry 32A owners, I think K4R1M will have something for you later)

UPDATE 5PM

i just used same method on cyanogens latest rom and works perfectly :)

Last edited:

zw4mp

Jul 6, 2009
Sounds real nice :> What about the gyro/compass ? Doesnt seem to work for me when using the original JACHero 2.7.3

dazcox5181

Feb 3, 2009
london
Running well after 1 hour, widgets all stock not removed any and NO rosie reloads.

Little bit of lag, but nothing terrible (and for me to say that means it is hardly there!)

Anyone else tried it? I want to rule out me doing something silly

Compass working (at least in sky map)

saquib

Jun 15, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Again

Trying to set-up my sd card paritions, but parted command in adb shell is not working (not found error). Do I need a particular recovery image to be able to use parted ?

Thanks!

Running well after 1 hour, widgets all stock not removed any and NO rosie reloads.

Little bit of lag, but nothing terrible (and for me to say that means it is hardly there!)

Anyone else tried it? I want to rule out me doing something silly

Compass working (at least in sky map)

dazcox5181

Feb 3, 2009
london
i dont think there is a magic recovery with the parted command. thats why i used a Gparted live usb boot (google unetbootin - will create a bootable usb stick for you) and a card reader in my netbook (yes I use a MSI wind with OSX :))

TommyPickles

Jan 9, 2008
well done dazcox.

can you please describe the process people need to take to load up boot.img?

eg. recovery screen, wipe, flash G1 ROM, reboot, let ROM load, reboot into fastboot, flash boot.img,.. and the required commands etc.

might be annoying, but it'll help to answer the flood of questions that your answer has brought :)

presumably as each new ROM produces changes we will need to edit the boot.img each time, as they may contain updates, yah?

dazcox5181

Feb 3, 2009
london
Yes, I would assume each time new release we make the change.

My Process was this.

download the scripts from http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Unpack,_Edit,_and_Re-Pack_Boot_Images

(beware if on OSX google and download newer cpio utility and copy to /usr/bin)

Download JAChero 2.7.3 full from dream forum

rename downloaded file to update.zip and copy to sd

on computer open update.zip and extract boot.img

Use unpack-bootimg.pl boot.img to extract the kernel and ramdisk

in the ramdisk dir rename init.trout.rc to init.sapphire.rc

repack-bootimg.pl boot.img-kernel.gz boot.img-ramdisk boot1.img

On your phone reboot to recovery (I use amon ra recovery from this forum)

BACKUP (nandroid is your saviour)
wipe
apply update.zip

reboot, but go straight to fastboot (vol down + power)

in fastboot

fastboot flash boot boot1.img

reboot

enjoy

*decide you want to try something else and start all over again* :)

zw4mp

Jul 6, 2009
For me who already have JACHero 2.7.3 installed with the cyanogen kernel, can I just flash the boot.img or do I need to make a complete wipe and include it into the update.zip?

dazcox5181

Feb 3, 2009
london
For me who already have JACHero 2.7.3 installed with the cyanogen kernel, can I just flash the boot.img or do I need to make a complete wipe and include it into the update.zip?

I would rather use the full update.zip and then flash the boot.img to be sure.

Sorry - I'm learning as I go and don't know how to sign an update.zip yet

rommelin

Feb 15, 2006
I've followed the steps, and after flashing the boot1.img adn rebooting, the phone is really taking forever.
The screen is totally dark but i know the phone is on as i can enter through adb to it.

Any tips?

I had from before a class 6 card with 3 partitions, FAT, ext2 and swap (in that order).

Thanks

bpmorris

Oct 16, 2008
+2

That would be fantastic for those of us that I are still on the steep part of the learning curve...

Cheers

Ben:)

dazcox5181

Feb 3, 2009
london
Signing and uploading update.zip now...

When I get my paypal sorted you all owe me a beer!

I'm flashing it myself to be sure, upload will be done in about 20min then i have to do some work.

My update_signed.zip failed, can't find update script error.

Anyone help? the only file I changed was the boot.img?

Last edited:

zw4mp

Jul 6, 2009
I would rather use the full update.zip and then flash the boot.img to be sure.

Sorry - I'm learning as I go and don't know how to sign an update.zip yet

I decided to try just flash the boot image before redoing it all to see what would happen, and it is actually working :) Wifi and gyro didnt work before but is now.
The only thing is that Bluetooth A2D2 mode (playing music) doesn't seem to work. It says "playing media through bluetooth headset" but I get no sound. Can anyone confirm that this is working for you? If so maybe I will need to wipe and reinstall anyway.