XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Exchange on the Hero, first impressions

Tip us?

herman3101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Exchange on the Hero, first impressions

I've noticed that not has much been said on the Hero's exchange support in any of the reviews or user reports so I thought I'd let people know what it's like as, for me, this is a must have feature. I should say that I have not had an android phone before and so I have had no experience with Nitrodesk's exchange solution so I can't compare.

Well, I entered my exchange details during initial set-up and after my first attempt was unsuccessful (SSL needed and is off by default) it than worked. Asked me if I wanted to sync Mail, Calender and Contacts all of which I selected. After the rest of the setup had finished the phone told me I had a new e-mail arrive so I could tell it was working straight away.

Mail is fantastic. Downloads everything fine, has at least as many options as WM for choosing which messages to download. E-mails look great on the display and html e-mails show up fine.

Contacts are great, they all appear straight away in the people and the phone application. All the Facebook and Flikr integration works perfectly. Only niggle is that you can't group contacts by company which is something I used to do on WM.

Calender seems to work fine. Appointments showed up ok, including appointments sent by e-mail.

All in all, the exchange sync is way better than expected and in some ways better than WM. The integration seems very deep and integral to the OS rather than a bolt on feature.
Google Nexus S (rooted stock)

Past phones: HTC Hero, MDA Vario III, MDA Vario II, MDA Vario I, MDA Compact, HP iPAQ H1930 (PDA)

R3PUBL1K
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
I agree with you there Bud, just a shame that there is no task sync support yet - still looking

Why freeload? If you like what you use here, donator to the DEV, Themer or the XDA Community.

gingepaul79
Old
Thanks Meter 0
All was fine for me, but as soon as I've allowed it to connect my contacts to FB contacts, sync fails for conacts with a 'client/server conversion error' message.
I'm using exchange 2003, mail and calendar are syncing fine, and I too would love tasks to be added, along with a fix for contacts and I'm a happy hero user

R3PUBL1K
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
Strange - I have had no issues with the Fb sync but i use Exchange 07

Why freeload? If you like what you use here, donator to the DEV, Themer or the XDA Community.

bigbamboo5
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Default Just Exchange, or...

...also Outlook?

gingepaul79
Old
Thanks Meter 0
not tried to sync with outlook yet, whats the best app for that?

I would settle for an outlook connector that I could just set to sync contacts and tasks, as these two arent really changing so frequently I wouldnt mind having to 'plug in' to sync these.

herman3101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I just use exchange so can't comment on outlook sync. Facebook linking worked fine for me but I also have exchange 2007 so can only assume it's a problem there. Not sure if the exchange functionality is all implemented by HTC or whether they've used part of Nitrodesk's Touchdown but I saw on the Nitrodesk website that they don't support exchange 2003 yet.
Google Nexus S (rooted stock)

Past phones: HTC Hero, MDA Vario III, MDA Vario II, MDA Vario I, MDA Compact, HP iPAQ H1930 (PDA)

supadupahands
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingepaul79 View Post
not tried to sync with outlook yet, whats the best app for that?

I would settle for an outlook connector that I could just set to sync contacts and tasks, as these two arent really changing so frequently I wouldnt mind having to 'plug in' to sync these.
The only app is HTC sync which is included along with the hero's manual on the sd card supplied with your phonbe, word of warning i just installed htc sync on my vista pc and it caused windows explorer to continuously crash until i uninstalled it, not impressed

gingepaul79
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Tried to install the app ealier, drivers failed and the app wont work (win 7 32 bit)

gingepaul79
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Going to try the long way round for now - sync outlook contacts to my google account and keep the google contacts synced to my phone - would I end up with a duplicate of everyone then though?