5,814,797 Members 51,048 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Better browser for 6.1? Or customizer for 6.5?

Tip us?

Nobody Important
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Better browser for 6.1? Or customizer for 6.5?

For the past day or so I've been playing with different 6.1 and 6.5 roms for my titan (Verizon xv6800), trying to decide which to go with. The two contenders seem to be DCD 4.1.2 (WM 6.1) with HTC Home and its customizer, and the new bbsandkm WM 6.5 build.

So far, 6.1 seems to be the winner for reasons of speed and memory use. Also, it seems easier to customize the HTC Home screen than it is to customize Titanium, lovely though it is. But there's one awfully tempting feature of 6.5, and that's the version of IE. The automatic full-screen and finger scrolling are very nice. Is there any way to get those features into 6.1? Or can someone direct me to a nice way to customize the Titanium home screen to have just the stuff I'm interested in? On the home screen I'd mostly like a nice big clock, a weather panel, PIM panels (calendar and tasks) and a launcher for apps (GPS, games, whatever).

Many thanks in advance for your wisdom and/or experience.

eigerzoom
Old
(Last edited by eigerzoom; 26th July 2009 at 01:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 64
Location: darkness just straight and falling from endless skies
i used SPB Pocket Plus 4.02 on bbsands 6.5
it adds finger friendliness to file explorer and ie
also has a bunch of other nice abilities that sbp 2/3 doesn't have and it uses less memory
no fancy sliding screens or anything...but you get a task switcher...close menu...and i think up to 6 today tabs.
it also can double up the top hardkey buttons to short/long presses (messaging/ie buttons)
so you can quicklink 4 programs total to those two buttons...
i recommend that program 100%...all these features can be enabled/disabled
though personally i use a mix of skyfire/opera to get my webbing done

i would also highly recommend checking out mattsm's 6.5 build
if you notice on ppcgeeks, bbsand is/was taking a break and forwarded development to him
i run his 6.5 (i think 23004 build) and its well above the memory i would get on 6.1
no turning back now
Where The Buffalowned Roam

lilk1d777
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Important View Post
For the past day or so I've been playing with different 6.1 and 6.5 roms for my titan (Verizon xv6800), trying to decide which to go with. The two contenders seem to be DCD 4.1.2 (WM 6.1) with HTC Home and its customizer, and the new bbsandkm WM 6.5 build.

So far, 6.1 seems to be the winner for reasons of speed and memory use. Also, it seems easier to customize the HTC Home screen than it is to customize Titanium, lovely though it is. But there's one awfully tempting feature of 6.5, and that's the version of IE. The automatic full-screen and finger scrolling are very nice. Is there any way to get those features into 6.1? Or can someone direct me to a nice way to customize the Titanium home screen to have just the stuff I'm interested in? On the home screen I'd mostly like a nice big clock, a weather panel, PIM panels (calendar and tasks) and a launcher for apps (GPS, games, whatever).

Many thanks in advance for your wisdom and/or experience.
as far as internet browsing i use skyfire which is really easy to use and very finger friendly. also opera mini is good too it even allows tabbed browsing.

in terms of the titanium today screen in wm6.5 they have a chome editor which allows you to edit it

segadc
Old
Thanks Meter 3
For WM6.1 use FTouchFlo and click on full screen it will stay full screen (unless you click a button but it will go back automatically).
Verizon XV6800 w/MR1

Verizon Touch Pro 2 (XV6875) w/MR1

unL33T
Old
Thanks Meter 0
There are 6.1 ROM's that have the new version of IE.

There are also several other browser options including Opera Mini, Skyfire, Opera Mobile, etc.

FTouchFlo will add finger friendliness to every program and is a good add on for the slightly older builds of 6.1 that do not have the finger friendly features added to the few MS programs that MS programmed it into in the newer builds. I actually prefer the ROMs that do not have the finger friendly versions because then it's easier to use FTouchFlo and add it to all my programs. If you have the newer builds it is much harder to figure out how to exclude the built in programs so that FTouchFlo does not conflict with the built in gesture handling.
Factory unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note2 N7100 // Stock
Telus HTC Touch Pro2 <-- Dead
Telus HTC P4000 <-- Dead