I miss the speed dial shortcuts

Search This thread
Jan 25, 2008
Flashed to WM6.5 in an apparently futile quest to resolve my wifi connectivity issues. Now I'm trying to get used to the new UI. It's fine, but I'm missing one feature on the phone: It used to be that within the Phone application, hitting up on the D-pad would bring up Speed Dial, then you could hit the D-pad up or down to get to the number you want, and then hit the middle of the D-pad to dial. Made for nice eyes-free dialing. How do I replicate that feature?

iconsoft phonex has an even quicker option of favorites
it also has a fairly simple speed dial using the pad
comes with a today plugin w/ row of quick opening buttons:
favorites, messaging, phone pad, comm manager, ring/vibe selector
favs, comm & selector all slide open right on the today screen
making calls to my favorites has never been quicker or easier

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2008
Thanks for your replies. What I'm looking for is fast, eyes-free dialing. Under WM5 and WM6, I used a program called Smartskey. It remapped the function of the d-pad within the default Phone application, so that hitting Up brought up your speed dials and Down brought up the call history. I found my old copy of smartskey 0.6 archived on my PC and installed it on my new WM6.5, but it appears that those d-pad remappings aren't working.

I downloaded and installed the demo for phonex. It's quite nice, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the today shortcuts aren't as useful under Titanium, which is what I'm trying to run.

I may resort to that Favorite People app, but if possible I'd rather find a way to replicate the old smartskey functionality -- habits are hard to break.