Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,512 Members 41,716 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cydia-Like app

Tip us?
 
thelamacmdr
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 211
Join Date: Dec 2008
Default Cydia-Like app

Hey everybody,

I was thinking about Cydia for the iPhone and thought..why doesn't android have that? So I was wondering if android does have something like that already or one that is in the making. If not then I was going to try and develop something similar. Only it will be one that is very, very basic. Here is how I planned it out.

1. Create an app that has a list of directories
-ROMS
-Scripts
-Apps (Ones such as swapper.apk etc. not ones from market)
* In the ROM's directory there will be a list for different phones

2. To transfer files an ftp server would be used ( I actually don't have one but was hoping someone would be able to offer an alternative or a server)

3. The app would then use the android browser to download the file and place it in the correct location ( updates would go in root of /sdcard or apps would be installed with the package manager)

Like I said I was thinking of something very basic..if this would be redundant then I'll just forget about it.

What does everyone else think?
 
daedelush
Old
(Last edited by daedelush; 31st July 2009 at 09:22 AM.) Reason: Found the website
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: Mar 2009
wasnt there that SAM application? I wiped and never reinstalled it. i'm sure i can find the apk around here. also not the same but there is also a handango app.

Edit: ok did some quick searching... found the site: http://slideme.org/sam2 and http://slideme.org/sam... i hope that helps
 
k4r1m
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 353
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal
That would have to be all custom... side note cydia uses debian binaries such as apt-get and dpkg which afaik is possible since you can install debian on your phone, and on the other hand android market uses a closed source xml.
yamz.
it's tastes like lobsterz.
 
jashsu
Old
#4  
jashsu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 1,852
Join Date: Nov 2008
Cydia is more than just a frontend for http/wget. It is a port of Debian APT. Iirc saurik did make some passing notes about possibly bringing APT to Android. However, from the lack of any implementation thus far, I can only surmise that he has either lost interest, doesn't feel Android needs an APT-based repository, or some mix of both.

You have to understand the main reason why Cydia is a very popular platform for iPhone. iPhone natively does not allow any outside app installation. Thus, Cydia provided a very good central repository for apps outside of Apple's app store system. Android, OTOH, was built from the ground up permitting the user to install apps from any source. Thus, there was never a burgeoning need to have a Cydia clone made because anyone could install apps from their own http server, from adb, from a sdcard, from a third party market.
 
thelamacmdr
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 211
Join Date: Dec 2008
Ah I should've done a little more research on cydia then. From what my friend told me he says that Cydia is just another appstore for the iPhone and that's it ( the android market is pretty open as opposed to the iPhone). That's the last time I listen to someone who bought an iPhone over an android phone.
 
sha.goyjo
Old
#6  
sha.goyjo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 137
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelamacmdr View Post
Ah I should've done a little more research on cydia then. From what my friend told me he says that Cydia is just another appstore for the iPhone and that's it ( the android market is pretty open as opposed to the iPhone). That's the last time I listen to someone who bought an iPhone over an android phone.
To be honest, your friend sounds like doesn't know alot about the debian package system. You should take a look. It's very interesting, and it shows how primitive M$ and crApple products have become (pardon my invectives). Linux really is on the cutting edge on these fronts, and the linux backbone is what makes android so powerful.
Phones: ADP1 w/Cyanogen 6.1, D2G with Fission 2.4.3
Non-rooted phones: None, obviously!
My blag (tech, life, politics): http://leftofrightrightofleft.wordpress.com
My current IT projects: http://www.lighthousesolutions.info/projects
 
thelamacmdr
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 211
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sha.goyjo View Post
To be honest, your friend sounds like doesn't know alot about the debian package system. You should take a look. It's very interesting, and it shows how primitive M$ and crApple products have become (pardon my invectives). Linux really is on the cutting edge on these fronts, and the linux backbone is what makes android so powerful.
Yup Debian has become the most used partition on my laptop but I keep Windows around just in case, also after researching about Cydia it sounds a lot like the Synaptics Package Manager ( correct me if I'm mistaken) and the Software Sources under Linux.
 
Mast3rmatt
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 157
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashsu View Post
You have to understand the main reason why Cydia is a very popular platform for iPhone. iPhone natively does not allow any outside app installation. Thus, Cydia provided a very good central repository for apps outside of Apple's app store system. Android, OTOH, was built from the ground up permitting the user to install apps from any source. Thus, there was never a burgeoning need to have a Cydia clone made because anyone could install apps from their own http server, from adb, from a sdcard, from a third party market.
Thanks for the whole understanding, never thought it as that way
 
coolbho3000
Old
#9  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 761
Posts: 886
Join Date: Dec 2008
A central app for downloading and publishing ROMs, recovery images, and the like (not apps) would be quite cool, though, and tethering applications are still disallowed from the Android Market (at least in the United States).
Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
Control your Android phone's CPU! SetCPU for Root Users
Follow me on Twitter!

Like my work? Buy SetCPU on the market or buy me some [insert drink here].
 
jashsu
Old
(Last edited by jashsu; 31st July 2009 at 06:09 PM.)
#10  
jashsu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 1,852
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelamacmdr View Post
Synaptics Package Manager ( correct me if I'm mistaken) and the Software Sources under Linux.
Synaptics is more or less just a frontend for apt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbho3000 View Post
A central app for downloading and publishing ROMs, recovery images, and the like (not apps) would be quite cool, though, and tethering applications are still disallowed from the Android Market (at least in the United States).
No argument here. More options for users is always better (i'm talking to you, Apple Inc), especially when its a platform as elegant as Cydia.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Fix KitKat WiFi Drops on Your Own

Despite introducing many useful features and overall great performance and enhancements,Android 4.4 KitKat … more

Bring Back Tablet UI on KitKat

Google presented their brand new UI for tablets alongsidethe release of Android 3.0 Honeycomb back in early … more

Give Your Notification Shade a Facelift with these Modding Guides

Modification has always been one of the strong suits of Android, due in … more

Keep Track of How Much Your Car Truly Costs with Car Logbook

It’s a very well established fact that cars are expensive. In addition to … more