Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

How to Unlock and Root a Nexus Device – XDA TV

It is official–Google has released the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9. The Nexus family … more

Rooting the HTC Hero/G2..(success)

OP LeeDroid

3rd August 2009, 01:37 PM   |  #41  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 2

134 posts
More
Smile
@Dayzee
I think is better(in this way there are less comands and Superuser.apk) to replace step 6 of http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=38 with:
- download superuser.zip and extract the contents into <somewhere... > (superuser.zip containts Superuser.apk and the su binary )
Code:
adb shell mount /system                    
adb push su /system/bin/     
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
adb shell reboot
(there's no need to specify mount options because the mount point is defined in /etc/fstab ;) )

@jackdaniels_lee maybe it's better to replace the steps 5-6 on the first page too
Last edited by enlightener; 3rd August 2009 at 01:45 PM.
3rd August 2009, 01:42 PM   |  #42  
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 0

28 posts
More
Works great!
3rd August 2009, 01:52 PM   |  #43  
Thanks Meter: 14

268 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikie

Just tried it and it works sweet... Took all of 5 minutes... Awesome work thank you

I now have root access on my Hero

Do you have the Hero on T-mobile
i have the G2 touch and want to try this method...........can anyone confirm this is working on t-mobiles hero
3rd August 2009, 02:12 PM   |  #44  
Flag ɒzəl.twɪzəl
Thanks Meter: 20

1,482 posts
Donate to Me
More
Had an issue with error 37 when installing drivers, but overcome that and now my phone is also rooted cheers JD (gentleman jack)
3rd August 2009, 02:29 PM   |  #45  
Flag ɒzəl.twɪzəl
Thanks Meter: 20

1,482 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzee

Open a comand Prompt Window - in XP its in Accessories/system from programs - I dragged the shortcut to my desktop, just so it was easier.

You could substitute or add this click start then RUN and type "cmd" (no quotes) then press enter
3rd August 2009, 02:40 PM   |  #46  
Flag Manchester UK
Thanks Meter: 11

330 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejayjameson

Dayzee, with Root Explorer where can you access that you couldn't before?

Not really sure if am actually rooted... wifitether runs fine but actually loading up webpages on my laptop doesnt load. everything says its connected though.

Is this likely to be more a laptop (probs software) issue than not being root?

In my experience (so far G1 and Google Ion or Dev Magic) Root Explorer allows you everywhere that astro does BUT in each folder it tells if it is R/O or R/W and allows you to toggle this to copy paste move stuff around even in device memory - as such it is either EXtremely useful or Extremely dangerous. Without Root, you cannot swap from R/O to R/W in a folder, though Astro and other file explorers let you look inside.

Dayzee xx
3rd August 2009, 02:41 PM   |  #47  

29 posts
quick questions....
couple of quick questions....

1.Is this a permanent change/flash? Will this need to be done if you reboot or hard reset the device ?

2.Will your mobile operator shout at you for doing this if you ever need to return your device? i.e. with previous devices flashing back a stock rom prior to returning device was necessary - is there a similar process for reversing this change?

3.To me, rooting, sounds like a permissions change to the device allowing you more permissions to tinker with it than before - therefore after rooting does the possibility exist that malicious code or human error fry/break/delete sys data from the device? (i like my phone, and i like to tinker but also dont want to trash it within the first week )

cheers dudes
3rd August 2009, 02:48 PM   |  #48  

34 posts
Is there something im missing?

Wifitether doesn't seem to work. On the device it gives an upload speed, but no download speed.

Anyone having this issue? So far iv just turned on wifitether then added the network on my laptop. Webpages just pause for ages before saying page not avaliable...

3rd August 2009, 02:52 PM   |  #49  

67 posts
will this reset my device / kill my preferences and applications?
3rd August 2009, 03:02 PM   |  #50  
Flag Manchester UK
Thanks Meter: 11

330 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightener

@Dayzee
I think is better(in this way there are less comands and Superuser.apk) to replace step 6 of http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=38 with:
- download superuser.zip and extract the contents into <somewhere... > (superuser.zip containts Superuser.apk and the su binary )

Code:
adb shell mount /system                    
adb push su /system/bin/     
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
adb shell reboot
(there's no need to specify mount options because the mount point is defined in /etc/fstab ;) )

@jackdaniels_lee maybe it's better to replace the steps 5-6 on the first page too

Ta I've added it to my noobs post - Can you clarify something for me - Specifically where should I put the unpacked stuff? should it go into the tools folder of sdk like the recovery.img file? I think that the two files - su and superuser should go into tools for adb to find them easily - is that right? Lemme know if its not...

Dayzee. xx

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread