MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

[APP][14.Aug][v1.3] "Back FavPeople Up!" - Backup/Restore of TouchFlo Favorite people

2nd August 2009, 08:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 65

2,370 posts
Donate to Me
More
14th Aug 09

A new version is released to add support for new manila 2.5. More information can be found in the release note.

5th Aug 09

Another minor release to provide the silent execution capability , i.e. the ability to execute the backup/restore process from command line. More information about the supported parameters can be found in the release note. This version comes with two sample shortcut files that can be found in the program folder.

4th Aug 09

Minor update to the first version. The only functionality added in this minor version is ringtone support. Also added some cosmetic to the folder browser. See release note for more information

3rd Aug 09

Decided to release for public testing, as I have tested the backup and restore functions looks and everything looks okay to me. I have tested this including a hard reset, and my experience is the restore works perfectly well for me. But there might be scenarios that I have yet considered, so don't blame on the developer if you did not manage to recover your favorite contacts 100%

Screenshot and Cabs are attached. The version release information will be posted in the next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkinz

Hi guys,

not sure if this has been done already, if so, please pardon this duplicate work. But I have tried to search the forums, and I couldn't find a solution thus this work of mine.

Basically, for flash junkies like me, I have to manually add the favorite contacts in the people tab, after each ROM Flash. I found a way to backup and restore this setting, but it needs to be done "programmatically". i.e. it's not a file or registr backup/restore, unless you want to archive the entire PIM database.

I need further testing, but so far it looks promising. Here's some screenshot for you.

Last edited by zenkinz; 14th August 2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Release version 1.3
2nd August 2009, 08:31 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

2,370 posts
Donate to Me
More
Version 1.3 (Released on 14th Aug 2009)
  • Added manila 2.5 support. This will backup and restore the ordering of your favorite contact, and the default contact method. Without this utility, your favorite contacts may be restored after you hard reset (if you have sync at least once before your hard reset), but the ordering and default contact method will not be restored!
  • Updated the ringtone support. Will backup/restore contact's ringtone setting even if the contact is not a favorite contact in Touchflo3D people tab.
  • Revamp the UI.

Version 1.2 (Released on 5th Aug 2009)
  • Minor update
  • Added command line mode. Two mode of command line execution are supported, namely backup and restore. The syntax of the command is BackFavPeopleUp.exe [mode] [folderpath], where [mode] is either /backup or /restore and [folderpath] specifies the path where your favorite contact information will be archived/read.
  • Two sample shortcut files can be found in %Program Files%\Zenyee\Back FavPeople Up, one for restore, and the other for backup. You can copy the program Back FavPeople Up.exe to \Storage Card\Program Files, and then copy the restore shortcut file to your Sashimi or UC folder.

Version 1.1 (Released on 4th Aug 2009)
  • Minor update
  • Added ringtone support. Only path of ringtones are backup and restored. You would still need to backup/restore the physical ringtone files. Would recommend that you use tool like UC or Sashimi or PPCPIMBackup to backup/restore these ringtone files. May consider backup/restore physical files in future release
  • Updated with some cosmetic changes to the folder browser function.

Version 1.0 (Released on 3rd Aug 2009)
  • First public beta release
  • Requires .NET 3.5CF to be installed
  • Only supports backing and restoring of favorite contacts (and default call method) in TouchFlo's "People" tab
  • Sashimi user can place the executable file in the EXE folder and run.
  • Ringtone and other contacts backup/restore are not supported
  • Restore requires you to have your contacts restored first (using Microsoft My Phone, PPC Pimbackup, Activesync, etc)
Last edited by zenkinz; 14th August 2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Updated Release notes for version 1.2
2nd August 2009, 08:33 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

2,370 posts
Donate to Me
More
To do List
  1. [Added in Release 1.2) Command line support
  2. User choice to restore all or partial information
  3. Multi-language support
  4. Prompt for phone reset after a restore is complete
  5. Mass update of ringtone or favorite contact by category

Bug Tracker
  1. UI shows a wrong version (fixed in release 1.3 and future releases)
Last edited by zenkinz; 31st August 2009 at 07:00 PM.
2nd August 2009, 08:52 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

119 posts
Potential to be very useful, will await release, will also be very handy when Activesync forces a complete resync and therefore loses the connections for the favorites.
2nd August 2009, 10:11 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

422 posts
More
Quote:

I need further testing, but so far it looks promising. Here's some screenshot for you.

Well done. This is one of the few things missing in my backup, flash and restore routine.
2nd August 2009, 11:02 PM   |  #6  
Flag Altoona, Pa
Thanks Meter: 16

1,559 posts
More
Quote:

Hi guys,

not sure if this has been done already, if so, please pardon this duplicate work. But I have tried to search the forums, and I couldn't find a solution thus this work of mine.

Basically, for flash junkies like me, I have to manually add the favorite contacts in the people tab, after each ROM Flash. I found a way to backup and restore this setting, but it needs to be done "programmatically". i.e. it's not a file or registr backup/restore, unless you want to archive the entire PIM database.

Attachment 211642Attachment 211644Attachment 211643Attachment 211641

Great! Thats the only thing I have to do manually now. I am working on some scripts to backup all of my other programs and settings. Cant wait.
2nd August 2009, 11:32 PM   |  #7  
Flag Davistown
Thanks Meter: 1

223 posts
More
Cant wait for this - this will make my life complete - well this a proper SBSH-like Calendar tab showing Tasks as well as Appointments and a Notes Tab... ooo, and a million dollars
2nd August 2009, 11:34 PM   |  #8  
Flag Oslo
Thanks Meter: 49

394 posts
+1

A backup+restore of pim.vol does the trick, but I welcome a way that works better with ActiveSync. Last time I restored pim.vol I ended up with duplicates.

Also, are you able to backup+restore contact pictures? Any hi-res mug shots are not propagated to Exchange.
3rd August 2009, 01:33 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

2,370 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks guys for the encouragement, I will tidy up the code over the next few days, and release for beta testing.

@ugumba, in principle I can do the contact pictures backup as well, as I plan to do the same for the ringtone (I know there's a program recently released for that purpose), but the favorite contact will be my main focus.
3rd August 2009, 03:55 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 2

96 posts
More
this is defnitely one of the most important app developed recently !!!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
contact, favorite people, manila, tf3d, touchflo
Previous Thread Next Thread