5,603,920 Members 41,144 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anti-Theft software for TP2

Tip us?
 
sreejithb
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default Anti-Theft software for TP2

Hey guys,

This is my first ever thread on the XDA forum.

After saving up for a long long long time, I am now a proud owner of a TP2. And now, I am constantly worried about it getting stolen(my past two phones were stolen).

I know this topic has been discussed for other phones before. But is anyone using a good anti-theft software on their TP2? Are any of the softwares recommended for other phones in this forum giving any errors with TP2?

I dun mind spending a bit on it. I read about the Ultimate Theft Alert v3.5 and the Sprite Terminator. The sprite guys are having some promotion for HTC owners. Does that mean it is highly recommended for HTC devices?

I am not a developer and is pretty dumb about flashing roms and all that (even though I cant wait to learn more. Expecting all your help and co-operation). So please provide me a simple solution for this.

Thanks guys
 
Black Phoenix
Old
#2  
Black Phoenix's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 112
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopharaoh View Post
Hey guys,

This is my first ever thread on the XDA forum.

After saving up for a long long long time, I am now a proud owner of a TP2. And now, I am constantly worried about it getting stolen(my past two phones were stolen).

I know this topic has been discussed for other phones before. But is anyone using a good anti-theft software on their TP2? Are any of the softwares recommended for other phones in this forum giving any errors with TP2?

I dun mind spending a bit on it. I read about the Ultimate Theft Alert v3.5 and the Sprite Terminator. The sprite guys are having some promotion for HTC owners. Does that mean it is highly recommended for HTC devices?

I am not a developer and is pretty dumb about flashing roms and all that (even though I cant wait to learn more. Expecting all your help and co-operation). So please provide me a simple solution for this.

Thanks guys
I do not think that will be easy that an anti-thief fully protect your investiment:
Normally first think every thief does is shutdown the equipment and remove the SIM Card. After that he could simply Hard Reset the equipment, returning the equipment itself to factory specs, so the anti-thief software is deleted. He can also change the IMEI in a relatively simple way.

Main tactics:

Never show your equipment if you are in a relatively empty street, train station, etc;
Always use the equipment with a firmly grip on it and always watching the surroudings;

This is simple common sense...

I know, that is going a little paranoic but some care is always a good thing.
HTC Rhodium T7373
ROM: 2.07.401.1 (80303) WWE;
RADIO: 4.49.25.91;
PROTOCOL: 61.44etc.25.35U.

Samsung GT-I9210
PDA: I9210XXMPM;
PHONE: I9210XXMA1;
CSC: I9210COVLP5.
 
sreejithb
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default Good point!!

Hey Black Phoenix,

thanks for the reply. for some reason, I didn't think of the possibility of the thief doing a hard reset.

But, I feel it is still worth investing on a software like Ultimate Theft Alert coz there is still a chance that the thief might not do a hard reset. So can you recommend a good software among the popular ones that works for TP2? I forgot to mention that I am from Singapore. I dunno whether my location makes any difference?

I still have not played with my phone a lot. But i believe TP2 has GPS? So doesnt that mean some of these softwares can give me the coordinates of my phone? Will my location matter for this feature?
 
Black Phoenix
Old
#4  
Black Phoenix's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 112
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopharaoh View Post
Hey Black Phoenix,

thanks for the reply. for some reason, I didn't think of the possibility of the thief doing a hard reset.

But, I feel it is still worth investing on a software like Ultimate Theft Alert coz there is still a chance that the thief might not do a hard reset. So can you recommend a good software among the popular ones that works for TP2? I forgot to mention that I am from Singapore. I dunno whether my location makes any difference?

I still have not played with my phone a lot. But i believe TP2 has GPS? So doesnt that mean some of these softwares can give me the coordinates of my phone? Will my location matter for this feature?
As I told, first thing that any thief does is shutdown the phone and trow away the sim card. With the phone shutdown, no gps coordinates or remote lock. And believe in me, the ones that steal know very well to cover the tracks, so for sure they know how to hard reset a phone (I'm still looking for my Asus P535. For sure is now hardreseted and IMEI diferent, and also had GPS. It was stealed 1 year ago).
HTC Rhodium T7373
ROM: 2.07.401.1 (80303) WWE;
RADIO: 4.49.25.91;
PROTOCOL: 61.44etc.25.35U.

Samsung GT-I9210
PDA: I9210XXMPM;
PHONE: I9210XXMA1;
CSC: I9210COVLP5.
 
powersquad
Old
(Last edited by powersquad; 3rd August 2009 at 04:58 AM.)
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 194
Join Date: Jun 2009
Install this. It's FREE. If a theif changes the sim card, you will automatically recieve an SMS to the numbers you have configured in the software. You will recieve his phone number + IMEI details. Configure your e-mail address and atleast 2 different phone numbers in the software so once you recieve the theifs new phone number or if he has not changed the sim card then you can send a special text message (read software tutorial) to you sim card or theifs new sim card which will activate the gps and text the co-ordinates to the nominated phone numbers you would have configured and an e-mail with link to google maps showing exactly where the phone is.

This thing works 100%. My house was under google maps with the right house and street address. I was stunned.

Also a thief is not literate enough to jump aboard XDA forum and search "How to hard reset a Touch Pro 2". They don't have time and most don't even know that technology like this exists.

Also once the Hard SPL comes out for TP2 and Cooked roms start releasing, you can either cook your own ROM with this software pre-installed with the right settings or request someone to cook a ROM for you with the right e-mail and phone number settings you want so even if a theif does a hard reset, software will still be installed again with those settings.

And to uninstall this software, theif needs to enter the password which you need to configure. I recommend you go through the tutorial.

oh and IMPORTANT. Install this to device memory because if he takes out your memory card and it's installed on the memory card then everything will be useless.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=394203
 
xdadJeroen
Old
#6  
xdadJeroen's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 131
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dongen
wow powersquad.. that's sick software.. curious though if it works..
maybe that new 'phonecreeper' that the xda-member wrote could have possibilities of tracking your phone after theft when installing it on your own device?
Jeroen
 
sreejithb
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 12
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default Great!!

Wow.. That is infact real cool. Just wondering whether there are any advantages of using your software over, maybe, Ultimate Theft Alert.. Except for the price.. Just curious.

Thanks a million for this.
 
powersquad
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 194
Join Date: Jun 2009
It works 100%. I have tried changing sim card and I got the text of the new card's phone number on my 2 nominated numbers straight away. GPS Co-ordinates were both e-mailed and texted to my nominated number and e-mail address.

In order for e-mail to work you need to have an e-mail account configured on your phone already like hotmail or gmail.

Ultimate theft alert is paid. This is free since made by xda devs.
 
exCluSive1
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 37
Posts: 516
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Utrecht
I use smartphonetracker, veryeasy to use and very reliable, works for a year now and just fine
 
Black Phoenix
Old
#10  
Black Phoenix's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 112
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by powersquad View Post
Install this. It's FREE. If a theif changes the sim card, you will automatically recieve an SMS to the numbers you have configured in the software. You will recieve his phone number + IMEI details. Configure your e-mail address and atleast 2 different phone numbers in the software so once you recieve the theifs new phone number or if he has not changed the sim card then you can send a special text message (read software tutorial) to you sim card or theifs new sim card which will activate the gps and text the co-ordinates to the nominated phone numbers you would have configured and an e-mail with link to google maps showing exactly where the phone is.

This thing works 100%. My house was under google maps with the right house and street address. I was stunned.

Also a thief is not literate enough to jump aboard XDA forum and search "How to hard reset a Touch Pro 2". They don't have time and most don't even know that technology like this exists.

Also once the Hard SPL comes out for TP2 and Cooked roms start releasing, you can either cook your own ROM with this software pre-installed with the right settings or request someone to cook a ROM for you with the right e-mail and phone number settings you want so even if a theif does a hard reset, software will still be installed again with those settings.

And to uninstall this software, theif needs to enter the password which you need to configure. I recommend you go through the tutorial.

oh and IMPORTANT. Install this to device memory because if he takes out your memory card and it's installed on the memory card then everything will be useless.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=394203
I love that one, so thiefs are stupid... OK, nice one... Maybe one day you will became suprised...
HTC Rhodium T7373
ROM: 2.07.401.1 (80303) WWE;
RADIO: 4.49.25.91;
PROTOCOL: 61.44etc.25.35U.

Samsung GT-I9210
PDA: I9210XXMPM;
PHONE: I9210XXMA1;
CSC: I9210COVLP5.

Tags
antitheft, sprint terminator, ultimate theft alert
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

WinDroid HTC Toolkit Lets You Root, Unlock, and Flash ROMs on Various HTC Devices

Plenty of users nowadays have more than one mobile device. … more

When Using GitHub, Don’t Skimp on Commit History

GitHub has become the epicenter of most open source development work that is posted … more

Verizon Droid DNA to Receive 4.4.2 KitKat + Sense 5.5 OTA This Thursday

The HTC Droid DNAis Verizon’s close cousin to the JapaneseHTC … more

Lucid Browser is Small, Lightweight, and Open Source

If there is one application category that certainly isn’t lacking in Android,and … more