Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,213 Members 40,212 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

First to break it

Tip us?

herman3101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default First to break it

Got my G2 on Wednesday and managed to throw it on concrete on Saturday. Scratched the crap out of the screen and case, thought this can't get any worse and then the screen cracked when I touched it. The screen still works but the outer casing is messed up. Sent it off to T-Mobile so hopefully it won't cost too much to fix.

I am pretty p*ssed off at how easily this phone broke. I have subjected my Vario III to some fairly serious abuse over the last 18 months and it still works fine. This phone on the other hand is wrecked after one measly drop.
Google Nexus S (rooted stock)

Past phones: HTC Hero, MDA Vario III, MDA Vario II, MDA Vario I, MDA Compact, HP iPAQ H1930 (PDA)

Cynabal
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman3101 View Post
Got my G2 on Wednesday and managed to throw it on concrete on Saturday. Scratched the crap out of the screen and case, thought this can't get any worse and then the screen cracked when I touched it. The screen still works but the outer casing is messed up. Sent it off to T-Mobile so hopefully it won't cost too much to fix.

I am pretty p*ssed off at how easily this phone broke. I have subjected my Vario III to some fairly serious abuse over the last 18 months and it still works fine. This phone on the other hand is wrecked after one measly drop.
Ouch man that sucks, to be fair tho there not really designed to take that kind of abuse, also the Vario III is a brick compared to the hero lol, you could probabyl drive a car over it.

i gess its the price we pay for lighter thinner more streamlined phones.

Dayzee
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I'll have to be careful then I threw my magic across the road. - It skidded across before I could stop it. It ended up with a few small circular cracks where I could see that the material under the plastic coating is deffo metal. Not a mark on the screen, because the curves at the top and bottom of the magic protected it.

Reckon its worth condsidering a magic handset when the price comes down a bit. Lots of folks slagged it off for looking plasticky but its a tank of a handset underneath.

I'm passing mine on to my brutish boyfriend, cos I know it can take some knocks. Then again maybe it just fell right? and yours just fell exactly
wrong. Certainly wouldnt be dropping it again to check if it is robust LOL

But you have my every sympathy - I'd be gutted
G1 - Google Ion - HTC Hero - Milestone - Nexus One - Desire Z - Galaxy S2 - Galaxy S3 - Samsung Galaxy 4 currently using Omega Rom

Twitter : @daized

My Amazon Author's Profile

robboy
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Some might have took out insurance as I think you can for 7 days after you bought it. Glad to see your honest
ROM: 2.8 MoDaCo http://bit.ly/55tfw
Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/Rob_turner_uk

Lox_Dev
Old
Thanks Meter 29

DONATE TO ME
I found the Touch HD really solid and resistant I'll be carrefull with my Hero witch is coming soon

Richdog
Old
Thanks Meter 43
YOu threw it on concrete, what do you expect? Simple physics, concrete is harder than the material the Hero is made from, so when the two meet with force the Hero will lose, no matter how hard the plastic its made from. It's not diamond coated.

herman3101
Old
(Last edited by herman3101; 4th August 2009 at 10:25 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
It was very tempting to take out the insurance but I was already covered on my home insurance so I thought I'd rather take a bigger excess hit than go along the fraud route.

RichDog, I'm afraid collisions between complex objects are never simple physics. Concrete is hard but the phone will have many different properties such as the elasticity of the plastic casing and maleability of the metal casing. Both of these act as shock obsorbers to disipate the energy of the impact, hence why almost all mobiles would have survived wih minor scratches. Mobile phone designers should incorporate a certain amount of impact tolerance into their products as almost all will be dropped at some point in their expected life. Mine only dropped from a height of three feet, a fall which almost all mobiles will have survived with minor scratches.

Past phones: HTC Hero, MDA Vario III, MDA Vario II, MDA Vario I, MDA Compact, HP iPAQ H1930 (PDA)

R3PUBL1K
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
I remember dashing my Trinity across the Office some time ago after finishing a phone call to my provider about something, (never down anything like that before in frustration) what a very robust phone indeed

Why freeload? If you like what you use here, donator to the DEV, Themer or the XDA Community.

xdaman85
Old
Thanks Meter 25
My HTC Diamond was submerged in some puddle outside while it was raining, didn't realise until I couldn't find the phone in my pocket, and even then it was still working.

Your just a bit unlucky.

herman3101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Hopefully it was just bad luck but I would not be surprised to see a lot more of these phones break pretty easily. The problem is the large screen which isn't sunk in, makes it very vulnerable when dropped.