Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

First to break it

OP herman3101

3rd August 2009, 10:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Milton Keynes
Thanks Meter: 2

167 posts
More
Got my G2 on Wednesday and managed to throw it on concrete on Saturday. Scratched the crap out of the screen and case, thought this can't get any worse and then the screen cracked when I touched it. The screen still works but the outer casing is messed up. Sent it off to T-Mobile so hopefully it won't cost too much to fix.

I am pretty p*ssed off at how easily this phone broke. I have subjected my Vario III to some fairly serious abuse over the last 18 months and it still works fine. This phone on the other hand is wrecked after one measly drop.
3rd August 2009, 11:11 PM   |  #2  
Flag Wales

46 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman3101

Got my G2 on Wednesday and managed to throw it on concrete on Saturday. Scratched the crap out of the screen and case, thought this can't get any worse and then the screen cracked when I touched it. The screen still works but the outer casing is messed up. Sent it off to T-Mobile so hopefully it won't cost too much to fix.

I am pretty p*ssed off at how easily this phone broke. I have subjected my Vario III to some fairly serious abuse over the last 18 months and it still works fine. This phone on the other hand is wrecked after one measly drop.

Ouch man that sucks, to be fair tho there not really designed to take that kind of abuse, also the Vario III is a brick compared to the hero lol, you could probabyl drive a car over it.

i gess its the price we pay for lighter thinner more streamlined phones.
3rd August 2009, 11:21 PM   |  #3  
Flag Manchester UK
Thanks Meter: 11

330 posts
More
I'll have to be careful then I threw my magic across the road. - It skidded across before I could stop it. It ended up with a few small circular cracks where I could see that the material under the plastic coating is deffo metal. Not a mark on the screen, because the curves at the top and bottom of the magic protected it.

Reckon its worth condsidering a magic handset when the price comes down a bit. Lots of folks slagged it off for looking plasticky but its a tank of a handset underneath.

I'm passing mine on to my brutish boyfriend, cos I know it can take some knocks. Then again maybe it just fell right? and yours just fell exactly
wrong. Certainly wouldnt be dropping it again to check if it is robust LOL

But you have my every sympathy - I'd be gutted
3rd August 2009, 11:40 PM   |  #4  
Flag Kingsbury Tamworth UK
Thanks Meter: 5

364 posts
More
Some might have took out insurance as I think you can for 7 days after you bought it. Glad to see your honest
4th August 2009, 12:54 AM   |  #5  
Flag Kanaky-New-Caledonia
Thanks Meter: 30

327 posts
Donate to Me
More
I found the Touch HD really solid and resistant I'll be carrefull with my Hero witch is coming soon
4th August 2009, 08:19 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 44

190 posts
YOu threw it on concrete, what do you expect? Simple physics, concrete is harder than the material the Hero is made from, so when the two meet with force the Hero will lose, no matter how hard the plastic its made from. It's not diamond coated.
4th August 2009, 11:18 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Milton Keynes

167 posts
More
It was very tempting to take out the insurance but I was already covered on my home insurance so I thought I'd rather take a bigger excess hit than go along the fraud route.

RichDog, I'm afraid collisions between complex objects are never simple physics. Concrete is hard but the phone will have many different properties such as the elasticity of the plastic casing and maleability of the metal casing. Both of these act as shock obsorbers to disipate the energy of the impact, hence why almost all mobiles would have survived wih minor scratches. Mobile phone designers should incorporate a certain amount of impact tolerance into their products as almost all will be dropped at some point in their expected life. Mine only dropped from a height of three feet, a fall which almost all mobiles will have survived with minor scratches.
Last edited by herman3101; 4th August 2009 at 11:25 AM.
4th August 2009, 12:45 PM   |  #8  
Flag ɒzəl.twɪzəl
Thanks Meter: 20

1,482 posts
Donate to Me
More
I remember dashing my Trinity across the Office some time ago after finishing a phone call to my provider about something, (never down anything like that before in frustration) what a very robust phone indeed
4th August 2009, 12:55 PM   |  #9  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 25

379 posts
More
My HTC Diamond was submerged in some puddle outside while it was raining, didn't realise until I couldn't find the phone in my pocket, and even then it was still working.

Your just a bit unlucky.
4th August 2009, 01:18 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Milton Keynes

167 posts
More
Hopefully it was just bad luck but I would not be surprised to see a lot more of these phones break pretty easily. The problem is the large screen which isn't sunk in, makes it very vulnerable when dropped.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread