Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,235 Members 51,411 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it possible / OK to uninstall default apps?

Tip us?

frandavid100
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Is it possible / OK to uninstall default apps?

Hi folks,

I have installed the Steel web browser and like it much more that the one supplied by HTC with the phone... is it possible to uninstall it and just leave Steel?

The above is just an example, my HTC hero has lots of stuff I don't really plan to use, ever. Is there a way to get rid of them FOR GOOD?

Thanks in advance!

dirtybadger
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by frandavid100 View Post
Hi folks,

I have installed the Steel web browser and like it much more that the one supplied by HTC with the phone... is it possible to uninstall it and just leave Steel?

The above is just an example, my HTC hero has lots of stuff I don't really plan to use, ever. Is there a way to get rid of them FOR GOOD?

Thanks in advance!
I'm so with you on this one...I've added Twidroid and turned off Peep but would love to completely delete it in order to avoid any conflicts. Also the default messaging program is a bit of a dog when compared to Handcent SMS.

There used to be a way on the WinMo 6 phones to change the registry values to allow deletion of TouchFlo UI programs but I've not been able to find anything online yet. Maybe it's too early in the phone's life for anyone to have cracked this.

At the moment, the only thing I can do is to make sure that notifications from default programs that I have replaced with better ones are turned off so that they only come from the new software.

I realise this doesn't help you (or me) very much but I'd pay good money to have an add/remove program that works on the default apps (ASTRO, Appmanager and OI File Manager do not seem to be able to access the default programs for uninstallation).

Does anyone with modding experience (obviously I don't ;D) have any suggestions on how to achieve this?

DBR

suisen
Old
Thanks Meter 4
i have installed QuickUninstall app and it offers all the built in apps as well as the added ones....didn't try to delete any though, they don't bother me that much to toy with it just yet
Nexus S (ab)user

dirtybadger
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Kewl...thnx for the heads up. QuickUninstall is downloaded. I'll try to get rid of Peep and the inbuilt message program and if something goes wrong I'll be back here begging for more help

DBR

Dayzee
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I've had some success with Root Explorer - I've successfully removed the stocks app and the stocks widget.

Big pointer before you start on removing default or stock Rom apps is to MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP!! You can do this by booting the temporary Recovery image from the rooting thread here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=543571

That way, if you do mess up, you can restore the Nandroid Backup.

Just ask Auntie Dayzee (BTW I wish I was this sensible with other stuff in my life!! LOL)
G1 - Google Ion - HTC Hero - Milestone - Nexus One - Desire Z - Galaxy S2 - Galaxy S3 - Samsung Galaxy 4 currently using Omega Rom

Twitter : @daized

My Amazon Author's Profile

frandavid100
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I need to partition my hard drive and install Windows in order to use Nandroid and root the phone (you need to root it in order to use root explorer right?).

As soon as I find a way for the installer to find my hard drive I'll poke you for advice, thanks dayzee

PatternInChaos
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Does anyone know what's the name of the web'n'walk app? Can't find it in the app folder.
rhedgehog Old
Thanks Meter
It's not an app afaik, it's just a shortcut.
all it does is open the default browser to the t-mob web and walk homepage.

PatternInChaos
Old
(Last edited by PatternInChaos; 4th September 2009 at 12:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Oh.. do you also happen to know where I can remove it?

Nevermind, found it in the app folder as "urlshortcut.apk"
rhedgehog Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by frandavid100 View Post
I need to partition my hard drive and install Windows in order to use Nandroid and root the phone
As far as i understand, ADB works in Mac and Linux as well, you just need to prefix the commands with ./

or have i missed something?? there's no point installing windows if you don;t have to....