Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[GUIDE] SIPdroid & Google Voice setup (updated 3-12-2010)

OP gurnted

15th August 2009, 04:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

154 posts
More
The guides listed here are extremely dated.
Not all services mentioned allow new users, and some now require a subscription. Also, the process has been simplified greatly since the creation of these tutorials.

I recommend using an application such as Groove IP to connect directly to Gtalk rather than bounce the call all over the place to different SIP providers.

Trying to find a way to verify GV w/o a active U.S. phone number? This info will still work for that, but you have to use IPKall routed to PBXes extension w/ "info" as DTMF type on (pbxes extension) settings.

Planning to do something more interesting like route multiple gv#s to one place? Than the info might still be useful to you, but only as a point of reference.

These instructions will explain how to get Sipdroid and Google Voice set up so you can use your Android phone with only WiFi or 3g/Edge (no cellular minutes). It also provides a solution to get Google Voice accounts validated for people who lack a US phone number.

Alright I guess these guides were a little more popular than expected. Kept exceeding bandwidth limits for the images, so I had to move 'em.

If you would like to view the original guides please visit my blog
Last edited by gurnted; 29th June 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Info is dated, and obsolete. Also simpler means now exist to accomplish like results.
15th August 2009, 04:26 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 14

1,853 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurnted

These instructions will explain how to get Sipdroid and Google Voice set up so you can use your Android phone with only WIFI or 3g/Edge. It also provides a solution to get Google Voice accounts validated for people who lack a US phome number.

While I didn't personally use the method myself, a post on the Google Voice discussion forum said you can perform your verification call on a Gizmo number (receive it by logging into the flash client at gizmo5.com)

The first time I set up an ipkall DID, it took a week. Kind of annoying.
15th August 2009, 04:43 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

154 posts
More
Due to bandwidth limits causing the images to go down, I have moved the guides.
Last edited by gurnted; 12th June 2010 at 04:57 AM.
15th August 2009, 05:40 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 14

1,853 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurnted

Huh? I tried to use Gizmo to confirm my wife's account a couple weeks ago, and Google Voice said a Landline or Mobile had to be used as the primary forwarding number. If they have in fact changed their policy regarding this, its great news for international users. Maybe someone with a fresh account would be kind enough to give it a try and bless us with the results. Either way thanks for the info.

Well, I read that information roughly a month ago so it could have been changed. On Gizmo's gizmovoice.com page, they state that a user can buy a 6-month DID number to accept the GV confirmation call, so I guess its probable that a Gizmo number cannot be used for confirmation.

Quote:

It's a shame it took so long for ipkall to get back to you. It usually does take a day or two, but a week is awful. Then again waiting 6-8 months for a Google Voice invite is a tad bit more irritating (but still well worth it)

Well it was before I even got my GV invite, mainly just as experimentation for getting my SIP setup. Free is free, so I wasn't really concerned.

By the way, I have updated the Sipdroid primer a little. Might make some more tweaks/update the sample pics later.
8th September 2009, 07:27 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

42 posts
More
This is a great tutorial! I'm currently using just the gizmo5 + GV setup, what are the advantages to your way? I am assuming the 3 minute outgoing call limit is gone, but is there anything else?

My #1 complaint with the gizmo5 + GV method (and this may be Sipdroid's fault) is that it seems if I don't make or recieve a call for a few hours... maybe a day... then sipdroid sort of times out, disconnects, and I miss calls even though sipdroid still shows the green connected light. I'm just curious if getting away from gizmo5 would fix this? Thanks!
9th September 2009, 01:55 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

154 posts
More
Quote:

This is a great tutorial! I'm currently using just the gizmo5 + GV setup, what are the advantages to your way? I am assuming the 3 minute outgoing call limit is gone, but is there anything else?

My #1 complaint with the gizmo5 + GV method (and this may be Sipdroid's fault) is that it seems if I don't make or recieve a call for a few hours... maybe a day... then sipdroid sort of times out, disconnects, and I miss calls even though sipdroid still shows the green connected light. I'm just curious if getting away from gizmo5 would fix this? Thanks!

Thank you, and yes you are correct about the 3 minute limit, but you don't have to leave gizmo for that. Just set GV as default dialer and set call method to Call-Back in GV (Be sure to set gizmo # as callback in GV app). Other than that Gizmo5 charged for callerID at the time I set mine up, and I had alot of choppy calls when using them (even using X-Ten and Ekiga from pc). Also Google Voice did not (and I'm not sure if they do yet) allow a Gizmo # to be default forward. Using IPkall gives you a true US # which can be set as default and used to validate g.v. account. People who don't have a US # couldn't even forward to Gizmo until a default US land or mobile number was set.

As far as missed calls and sipdroid timing out, I believe it depends on how you are connecting. I haven't had any trouble with such issues while on 3g. In fact I use this as my only method of calling, and dropped down to just the data plan with my carrier. Before we got 3g where I live I would have similar problems on EDGE and WIFI networks. Try setting the minimum signal strength lower for the networks you will be using under advanced settings on sipdroid. Also be sure to use TCP rather than UDP. Required refresh time is alot longer with TCP and you will not get as many time-outs.

Another thing is it may very well be gizmo5 causing the timeout issue. I did miss a few calls and got alot more disconnects while I was testing to see if I could cut out a few legs of my forwarding scheme. Figured it would cut back on a little latancy, but It gave me issues so I switched back. Though Sipdroid supports any sip provider that uses the proper codecs, it is really designed to work well with PBXes. I have tried it with 4-5 providers and none worked as well as PBXes. Even gizmo5 worked better through PBXes than directly connecting from sipdroid.
15th September 2009, 09:41 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Followed but Red light
sorry about that
Last edited by lfried; 15th September 2009 at 09:52 PM.
2nd October 2009, 11:50 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

23 posts
ive gotten this setup correctly (i think), but i cannot get the pbxes->sipdroid part working.

if i call my ipkall number, i see the call register in sip2sip, and i see it in the history in pbxes.

sipdroid connects to pbxes fine, and the extension shows up as active. the call just never makes it to sipdroid

if i call from sipdroid OUT, i get a message that says please try again later and hangs up
6th October 2009, 07:00 PM   |  #9  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 6

288 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maleman876

ive gotten this setup correctly (i think), but i cannot get the pbxes->sipdroid part working.

if i call my ipkall number, i see the call register in sip2sip, and i see it in the history in pbxes.

sipdroid connects to pbxes fine, and the extension shows up as active. the call just never makes it to sipdroid

if i call from sipdroid OUT, i get a message that says please try again later and hangs up

I too get this same error my phone wont ring and then I recive an email that says i got a voice mail!!??

how to fix ths pls!!

(NEVERMIND I GOT IT WORKING NOW!!!!)
Last edited by tuppaacc; 8th October 2009 at 10:12 PM.
7th October 2009, 01:46 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

154 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maleman876

There may be a problem with inbound routing settings. One thing you could try would be to skip sip2sip by forwarding ipkall directly to your pbxes extension. There are instructions on how to do this at pbxes. It works quite well. I will add this to the guide soon. I've just been a little busy lately.

Quote:

There are quite a few things that could cause this.

What type of call are you trying to make? (are you calling another sip# or a pstn#)
Which sip provider do you use for outbound calls?
Is your outbound route configured properly at pbxes?

I just let GV handle the outbound calls with callback. I have a sipdiscount account configured for outbound, but I don't really use it much. That's why I didn't cover it in the guide. I'll help as much as I can, but you might also want to check out the Sipdroid Primer. It explains alot about using sipdroid to place calls.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
google voice, pbxes, sip, sipdroid, voip
Previous Thread Next Thread