Loccy's BetterBrowser - now in Donut edition (v1.5: 8th Oct 11am/BST)
The important bit - get it here:
Version 1.5 (Donut - also Hero)
Version 1.5 (Cupcake)
I've changed the hosting of these files from 4****e. You shouldn't now have any problems downloading. The new links are hosted at www.androidspin.com
- thanks guys!
Optimised version of V1.5 (Donut)
Optimised version of 1.5 (Cupcake)
(note ref the optimised versions; Dwang's works fine on my Magic but I haven't tested Hotweiss's. If you have problems try the originals instead.)
MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT VERSION! READ THE CHANGE LOG (in post 2) TO SEE WHAT'S NEW.
Older versions can be found at the bottom of this post.
So what actually is this?
This is a new build of the stock browser, that incorporates the multitouch code from Cyan's build, along with some additional code of my own, primarily intended to make zooming less painful, and looking to gradually move towards an experience as rich as the Hero browser.
What does it do that's new, then?
* option in settings to disable the obnoxious on-screen zoom buttons that usually appear whenever you so much as breathe on the screen (turn off "Visual Zoom Controls" in the menu to get rid of them - off by default).
* when Visual Zoom Controls is disabled, option in settings to add zoom in and zoom out to the menu (although this will bump over options that are normally on the main menu to the "More..." list)
* Double-tap the screen to zoom in. When it gets too ginormous (about four zooms) a subsequent double-tap will zoom all the way out. Or you can just change this in the settings so double-tap always zooms in. Obviously it still has the multitouch option too from Cyan's code.
* Triple-tap to zoom out! (which I am particularly pleased about given that such an event doesn't actually exist in Android
* Click top-right corner to pull down address bar. Click top-left corner to go back to homepage. Click top-left when on homepage to exit browser (i.e. "clear" it from memory insofar as Android apps ever get cleared from memory).
* Click bottom left to go to previous tab, bottom right to go to next tab.
* Maintain zoom level across a domain, so that when you get a comfortable viewing size, you don't lose it the second you move to the next page on a site.
* Maximum number of tabs increased from 8 to 32.
* As requested by fastludeh22, an option for "Mobile Web Settings". Select from Android, iPhone or Desktop browsing.
* As requested by fit333 (and who was as good as his word, and donated
), an option to lock in landscape mode.
* setting to enable hiding/showing of notification bar. Note that this needs the entire Browser process to be restarted to take effect (so use the top-left click to go home, click again to quit the browser, and then reload to see the effect).
What do I need to run it?
Well, a Cupcake or Donut based rooted Android phone, basically. Make sure you download the correct version. If you are installing on Hero, you might need to wipe all the application data otherwise you'll get force closes.
How do I install it?
The only "safe" way is to push it with ADB. Delete /system/app/Browser.apk and any Browser.odex. Then adb push my browser into /system/app/Browser.apk. Many people had success on Cupcake by just installing via file managers. I managed to upgrade - note, UPGRADE, not install from scratch - by downloading it on my phone from the download link. It'll tell you this is a system application, do you want to update it - say yes. This was on Dwang's Donut ROM. However, the only method I'll "support" is via ADB because it's all so variable. ADB should (in theory) work on any ROM.
I installed your browser and now I can't browse the interweb, my phone exploded, I lost my job and suffered an embarrassing rectal prolapse in a public place. I blame you!
Thank you, please call again. All purchases are final. I would suggest that one uses a program to back up your bookmarks at the very least before installing this.
This is the best thing since self removing trousers! What do I do now?
Send me money by clicking here
Future improvements I'm hoping to do:
* A proper full screen option (i.e. where you'd also hide the title bar as well as the notification bar, and only show it when pages are loading)
* Hero-style lairy Mac coverflow-esque bookmarks (some way off in the future methinks!)
* tidy up what behind the scenes is, unfortunately, some really kludgey code!
Thanks go to:
* Cyan, obviously, without whom none of this would have been possible, and whose ROMs continue to break new levels of awesomeness
* makethetick, who pointed me in the right direction for the code in the first places
Raspberries go to certain individuals in this thread
Older versions kept around just in case. THESE ARE ALL CUPCAKE BUILDS. IF YOU INSTALL ON DONUT YOU'LL GET CORRUPTED MENU ICONS.
1.1 (hide notification bar)
1.1a (notification bar left intact)
Hate the way the Android browser throws zoom controls in your face whenever you so much as breathe on the screen? Double-tap to zoom sound like your bag? Or maybe you want the option to view non-mobile versions of websites? Try my BetterBrowser
Crazy enough to want to send me money? Click here
Yes, I've gone to the dark side and dipped my toe in this social networking smeg. Follow my Twitter here