Ask a question

No registration required

[APP|TUT]How to convert / transfer SMS from Nokia to any WM HTC device

OP MuF123

23rd August 2009, 11:50 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 52

685 posts
Please, leave feedback in this thread if it works, if it doesn't work or if you have encountered a problem somewhere! Thank you.

Tools needed:
  1. Jeyo SMS backup
  2. Nokia PC Suite
  3. ABC Amber Nokia Converter
  4. PSPAD or other notepad thingy
  5. SMSImport
  6. MuF's Nokia SMS convert utility
  7. You need .NET CF 3.5 on your device. Please see this page or try this one. You probably already have this installed.

Procedure steps:
  1. Install:
    On your PC: Nokia PC Suite, ABC Amber Nokia Converter, PSPAD, MuF's Nokia SMS convert utility
    On your PocketPC: SMSImport
  2. Make full backup of your PDA! Or at least backup the messages with Jeyo SMS backup.
  3. Run SMSImport on your PPC, export messages, name it for example "import.xml". Don't get confused by the name.
  4. Copy the exported messages to your PC.
  5. Sync your Nokia PC suite. Open messages, click on Message Folder you want to export from your Nokia.
  6. Select (all) messages from the view, copy&paste them into new empty folder.
  7. Open the folder with ABC Amber Nokia Converter.
  8. Select all messages, File>Save as> TXT(ANSI). Name it for example "Inbox.txt".
  9. Run MuF's Nokia SMS convert utility, open the Inbox.txt file. You will get file Inbox.txt_export.txt.
  10. Open the Inbox.txt_export.txt, select all, copy.
  11. Open the import.xml with PSPad, find one of the folders: inbox, sent items, deleted items, or other custom folder name.
  12. Paste the Inbox.txt_export.txt right after the folder xml tag. It should look like this:
    Code:
    <folder name="Inbox"><message date="22/08/2009 22:47:55" sender="+4...
    Don't worry if you have other messages after it, it doesn't matter. Your PDA will sort them out by the date/time stamp anyway.
  13. Repeat the process for other items - saved, sent, archive, etc. Create another empty folder, copy&paste from Nokia Suite, load with ABC Amber, export as .txt, load with MuF's utility, paste new file into xml.
  14. Save import.xml.
  15. Copy import.xml right back to your PDA.
  16. Open run SMSImport, import import.xml. Wait until all SMS load up, it can take few minutes to do.
  17. Double check if the SMS are imported with correct date/time stamp, correct cell phone numbers and correct text.
  18. If this helped you, hit the THANKS button bellow this post .

Known problems
  1. XML importer has problems with "<" and ">" symbols in messages. If you have a problem with importing messages, please check if this isn't your issue before asking questions!
  2. No warranties whatsoever. Few of mine SMSes got garbled during this process, few of them were duplicated or with bad date/time stamps.
  3. There is a problem with names saving, see tutorial in the Links section below.

Links on helpful posts on XDA-developers
  1. Tutorial on replacing numbers with contact names by Drew97
  2. Another method for Windows Mobile by Icewind
  3. Original idea by SGTNorcz
  4. Android tutorial by Nemeziz13
Attached Files
File Type: zip MuF's Nokia SMS convert.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.7 KB, 1881 views)
Last edited by MuF123; 9th June 2011 at 11:07 PM.
23rd August 2009, 12:40 PM   |  #2  
Flag Szczecin
Thanks Meter: 257

1,685 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nice tut, many people will thank you
Good job on this.
23rd August 2009, 12:45 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

685 posts
Im glad to hear that I had the feeling to try to contribute something too
26th August 2009, 07:12 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuF123

I just got inspiration from SGTNorcz http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=499230 and wanted to contribute a little. Please move this thread where it belongs (I didn't know where to put this).

Please leave feedback if it works, if it doesn't work, if it has a problem somewhere! Thank you.

Tools needed:

1. Jeyo SMS backup
  2. Nokia PC Suite
  3. ABC Amber Nokia Converter
  4. PSPAD or other notepad thingy
  5. SMSImport
  6. MuF's Nokia SMS convert utility

Procedure steps:
  1. Install:
    On your PC: Nokia PC Suite, ABC Amber Nokia Converter, PSPAD, MuF's Nokia SMS convert utility
    On your PocketPC: SMSImport
  2. Make full backup of your PDA! Or at least backup the messages with Jeyo SMS backup.
  3. Run SMSImport on your PPC, export messages, name it for example "import.xml". Don't get confused by the name.
  4. Copy the exported messages to your PC.
  5. Sync your Nokia PC suite. Open messages, click on Message Folder you want to export from your Nokia.
  6. Select (all) messages from the view, copy&paste them into new empty folder.
  7. Open the folder with ABC Amber Nokia Converter.
  8. Select all messages, File>Save as> TXT(ANSI). Name it for example "Inbox.txt".
  9. Run MuF's Nokia SMS convert utility, open the Inbox.txt file. You will get file Inbox.txt_export.txt.
  10. Open the Inbox.txt_export.txt, select all, copy.
  11. Open the import.xml with PSPad, find one of the folders: inbox, sent items, deleted items, or other custom folder name.
  12. Paste the Inbox.txt_export.txt right after the folder xml tag. It should look like this:
    Code:
    <folder name="Inbox"><message date="22/08/2009 22:47:55" sender="+4...
    Don't worry if you have other messages after it, it doesn't matter. Your PDA will sort them out by the date/time stamp anyway.
  13. Repeat the proces for other items - saved, sent, archive, etc. Create another empty folder, copy&paste from Nokia Suite, load with ABC Amber, export as .txt, load with MuF's utility, paste new file into xml.
  14. Save import.xml.
  15. Copy import.xml right back to your PDA.
  16. Open run SMSImport, import import.xml. Wait until all SMS load up, it can take few minutes to do.
  17. Double check if the SMS are imported with correct date/time stamp, correct cell phone numbers and correct text.

MuF's Nokia SMS convert utility
It is just alpha release so, please, comment whether it works or not. It could be problem with different date formats, dunno. You tell me .) It worked for me (central europe date/time format).

For any questions, please use this thread. Thank you!

as u said it is not working for the date format i am from india so can u plz help me out to solve the problem or how can i sort out this convertion problem due to the date format..... plz i need it urgently u have really done a good job on it
26th August 2009, 02:25 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

685 posts
<message date="22/08/2009 22:47:55"

how should your date for august 22nd 2009, 10:57pm look like?

start>settings>regional settings
please check those menus out
27th August 2009, 07:26 AM   |  #6  

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuF123

<message date="22/08/2009 22:47:55"

how should your date for august 22nd 2009, 10:57pm look like?

start>settings>regional settings
please check those menus out

This is my first time so may get this wrong..don't even know if you'll get this but your post is exactly what i NEED to do. I called every possible phone company & they/ve all said its not possible theni saw your post

I can download MuF's Nokia SMS convert & SMS import- are there any other website?
27th August 2009, 09:25 AM   |  #7  

120 posts
nice job~have u ever consider developing this app for other phone eg like sony ericson etc??
27th August 2009, 12:08 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

685 posts
if you need just mirror for the download the here you are:
http://maffafu.xf.cz/files/MuF's_Nokia_SMS_convert.zip
http://maffafu.xf.cz/files/SmsImport.zip
if it was something else, please write again

btw: regarding the SE phones - if you export sms from your SE to a text/xml file, then it is possilble to import your sms to your PDA.
I don't own SE and also I didn't search if it could be done so I don't know if wouldnt be worthless job.
Last edited by MuF123; 27th August 2009 at 12:11 PM.
27th August 2009, 03:34 PM   |  #9  

3 posts
Sorry..i'm really not getting it

I'm stuck at stage 9..I can't seem to run "MuF's Nokia SMS convert utility". This pop-up comes up "The appliction falied to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application"- but the other applications worked fine in the same way. THe same pop-up comes up for "SMSImport". Do you know what that means?Is there anything i can do to fix it?

btw- might be a stupid question but what does 'PDA' mean?

sorry to bug you but i only have another 12hrs before i have to hand in my nokia to get it completely wiped- really need these messages
27th August 2009, 03:47 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

685 posts
the sms converter needs to be run on PC

sms import needs to be run on your HTC = PDA (PDA google pda for definition)

make sure you copy all your sms to folders on your PC like "inbox" and "sent" so then it will be easy for you to say which messages goes to which folder in your HTC.
after you will got your messages copied to your PC, you can wipe your nokia and then try this tutorial or the one linked in first post.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
move, nokia sms convert, text
Previous Thread Next Thread