[APP] ZLaunchy version 0.2 - T9-like application launcher with a dialpad

Search This thread

wojciechka

Jan 13, 2008
Krakow
ZLaunchy - version 0.2

This is still an early beta, so some things might not work

ZLaunchy was written mainly for those who like the way Windows Mobile dialer allows searching for contacts in a T9-like way - so that finding Adam means choosing 2326 in the phone application. ZLaunchy uses the same idea to run programs on your device. What it does is gives you a dialer keypad and when you type in a series of digits, it searches for all programs that match - for example to start Internet Explorer, start typing 4683 - Internet Explorer and Internet Sharing should show up in the result list.

Application performs a search using all items in the Start Menu. It also skips showing application icons, which causes it to work faster than usual application launchers. This makes ZLaunchy a perfect candidate for an application that's bound to a hardware key (using system settings) and have it always handy when you want to find an application quickly.

In order to search for a particular text as beginning of words, type the specified digits - for example 4683 to find Internet explorer. In order to search for specified letter(s) not only at beginning of words, add "1" at the end - for example 4681 will find PowerPoint Mobile.

Screenshot::
zlaunchy.gif

Download - QVGA, WVGA, VGA, WVGA:
http://www.endorser.org/wm/zlaunchy

Change history for version 0.2
* Added support for square QVGA (240x240 and 320x320) devices
* Support for entering digits or text using hardware keyboard
* Configuration panel - vibration feedback, additional search location
* Added possibility of searching My Documents and one additional directory (multiple directories coming soon)
* Searching for strings not only at beginning of words (by appending 1 at the end)
* Optionally run on startup - starts and hides ZLaunchy in the background
* Minor bugfixes

Plans for future releases
* More configuration options
* Configurable, easily switchable "profiles" - i.e. "start menu", my documents, custom directories
* Ability to search in settings items - not sure on how to list items in there from C#
* Multi-language support - both translations and better locale-specific searching (only supports English and Polish nicely for now)
* Support for theming (result list and buttons separately)

Last edited:

.dredd.

Oct 9, 2006
Budapest
thanks for the app anyway, BUT...
you should have mentioned that this app was for VGA only...
you could have saved an install and an uninstall for me dude!

wojciechka

Jan 13, 2008
Krakow
thanks for the app anyway, BUT...
you should have mentioned that this app was for VGA only...
you could have saved an install and an uninstall for me dude!

This shouldn't be VGA only. That's why it's still 0.1 - not quite final yet.

EDIT: Fixed - some screw-up in the CAB creation. Now there's a separate QVGA/VGA installer that works fine on both.

@dredd - care to retry?

Last edited:

alexirsi

Mar 3, 2009
Oh my god that program is just AWESOME. :)
That's the thing i missed all the time on my WiMo-phone. On my computer, i'm only starting programs with launchy, it's much more faster than browsing a start-menu or something like that.

If you need help, ask me. I'm quite experienced with photoshop and also can help you with translations (german).

A version with a full QWERTY-keyboard (that covers 3/4 of the screen) would be great too.

noellenchris

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Great idea! Wonder if I can use it like filemanager too? I'm always searching for a cab on my storage card. This is brilliant!..

I'll assign it to a button for quick launch.

Thanks for sharing..:)

noellenchris

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Works great! Smooth, fast , Vibration feedback, finger scrolling! Very smart!:D

Last edited:

rojaa

Nov 24, 2008
Great stuff!

How about options to search for other file type by name? Photos, docs, etc? \
Might make it even more powerful.

As I sad, this is great!

wojciechka

Jan 13, 2008
Krakow
Oh my god that program is just AWESOME. :)
That's the thing i missed all the time on my WiMo-phone. On my computer, i'm only starting programs with launchy, it's much more faster than browsing a start-menu or something like that.

If you need help, ask me. I'm quite experienced with photoshop and also can help you with translations (german).

A version with a full QWERTY-keyboard (that covers 3/4 of the screen) would be great too.

As for help, if you want to make a better theme (I suck at graphics), PM me. We can work it out. As for translations, there are only 2 texts for now, but when I add in the configuration panel, then I would use your help.

Great idea! Wonder if I can use it like filemanager too? I'm always searching for a cab on my storage card. This is brilliant!..

I'll assign it to a button for quick launch.

Thanks for sharing..:)

Yeah, that's part of the TODO list. Engine is quite generic, so adding in My Documents or custom folder (i.e. *.cab in \Storage Card\installs) is mainly configuration issue. That's for v0.2 or a bit later.

Thankyou very cool app anyway to turn off haptic feedback? If not could you implement for future release :)

Yes, one of the first things that needs to get done - a configuration panel.

alexirsi

Mar 3, 2009
Two quick concepts (VGA, without keyboard), one with icons and one without. The blue color indicates that this is the selected item.

unbenannt-1cgvn.jpg
unbenannt-2xfj8.jpg

The three results are chosen at random, they are only placeholders to see what it will look like

If you need these resources for a future release, call me. :)

Last edited:

BoyBawang2

Nov 25, 2008
gotta try this!! I've been looking for this functionality for so long!!!! thanks amigo!!!! :)