Welcome to the Discussion and Development Lounge for Wing Linux.
Click here to view the booting of android on HTC Touch Elfin during the HTC Hero Launch event in Singapore with the CodeAndroid.org team.
- Running of 0.4pre3 (Updating that soon)
In Short, this project is about porting Google's Android OS (Which is running under Linux) into our devices.
This project is still in BETA, and there are many features not available yet.
We believe that we will move from strength to strength.
This thread is originated from the Linwizard, Now What?
thread. As we found a new goal, we decided a new page is necessary.
How this works?
Windows Mobile runs on your concurrent phone, so when Android is being boot up on the device, it will actually 'kick off' the RAM working concurrently on Windows Mobile and use the entire RAM for linux itself.
After soft-reseting, everything will go back to normal.
News updates for this project.
Milestone: Release 0.5 for Wing Linux
- This release will primarily focus on upgraded system components.
- Linux Kernel 2.6.32 or later (aligned to upstream)
- Audio/wifi support
- Power Management
- Full support for the HTC Artemis
- Runs on Android V1.5r4 (Cupcake)
- Additionally, 0.4.2 includes the ability to reboot your phone from Android -- simply hold down End and select Power Off. Your phone will reboot.
Developers for Sound needed for device.
How to get started with Wing Linux?
- Backup your SD Card and Phone before doing anything!
We have a few cases with wiped out data, better do it, guys!
1) Go to the Wing Linux's Website
2) Get Wing Linux's 0.4.2 (here
3) Get our very own HTC Elf/Elfin Cab
(Dont Worry, what you press on the phone will be what you get!)
4) Install both Wing Linux 0.4.2 cab and the Elf cab in your storage card (So make sure you have at least 512mb free storage space in your memory card)
How to get Google Android started?
1) After installing the cab as mentioned above, go to programs, and start Wing Linux
2) Press run!
3) After seeing 20000++ lines of code, you will reach an install screen (which is blue in colour)
4) You will take sometime there as our phones do not have a physical keyboard. So wait for it to install.
5) After that, the calibration utility will start, make sure you tap the right corners of the screen (The calibration process is only ONCE, so once you click the wrong corners, good luck, we need more steps to get it back working!)
6) Android will start loading and you are ready to get blasted!
Green button - Back
Red button - End Call
Center (joystick) - Menu
Up (joystick) - Up
Down (joystick) - Down
Left (joystick) - Left
Right (joystick) - Right
Camera - Back
Sound Up - Volume Up
Sound Down - Volume Down
How to copy files / install apps into Android using Windows
1) Install this
'Ethernet Gadget' Drivers (In order to let the phone talk to the PC)
- It works for both Windows XP and Vista (There will be prompts here and there)
- Settings for network card
2) Download WinSCP
3) Install em!
4) Key in the following settings into WinSCP:
- Server: 10.100.0.1
- Username: root
- Password: wing
5) To install Google Android Apps
- Make sure to download the app first!
6) Put the .apks to /system/app/directory through WinSCP
- (ex: scp xxx.apk firstname.lastname@example.org:/system/data/)
7) Done! It will show up in the application list!
What is not working yet?
- Standby Mode
- "Power Off" phone.
From the status of this project, you CAN use this phone for ..
- Surfing GPRS (Needs some setting up to do)
- Thanks to Cero92 (Updated Often)
- Thanks to mesaj
- Thanks to anatolyd
Do contribute your other Translations and after you are done, Post it and PM me.
Q: Which Device Can Run This?
A: A GSM
HTC Touch / It works for both Elf and Elfin
If you use a CDMA version of HTC Touch, please go to your Vogue forum.
Q: Is my phone Elf or Elfin?
A: Go to Start > Settings > System > Device Information > Hardware tab, if the 'RAM size' shows 64MB it's an Elf, if it shows 128MB for RAM and 256MB for Flash then it's the Elfin. (This doesn't matter as Wing Linux is able to run on both, just added this question for reference only)
Q: How big is this thing?
A: It is about 300mb (Estimated), as the image is already 250mb.
Q: My phone cant connect to the network
A: Please switch off the Sim Password on your phone using Windows Mobile first before coming into Android.
Q: How to get Data (GPRS) working on your device
A: Go to your settings menu in Android and change your APN options, you can get that from your carrier.
Q: How to re-calibrate the screen?
A: Go to storage card, than go this folder called 'linux', than open default.txt. Look for the line that says "set CMDLINE", add "reset_ts" to it.
Remember to remove that once you're satisfied with the calibration.
(If Microsoft Word asks you to save it in their format, always say no)
Q: If I am using the Herald Cab and running on the outdated 0.4pre3, how can I get the correct key mappings?
A: See here
Q: I have some questions about Android
A: Post it here and I should be able to respond as I am using an Android phone at the moment.
Q: I have more questions ...
A: Post it here and someone kind will be able to respond. Do not PM me. Thanks
Q: I wish the hang out and chat about Wing Linux on the net in real time.
A: Join us on the IRC: #wing-linux on freenode.org
No matter if you are a developer or home consumer, do check out the core of this project at our Elf / Elfin Developers Forum, which you might see thousands of codes and more from here
If you want to know what is going on behind the lives of the developers behind this project, do remember to check out Wing Linux's Blog
Thanks to Darkstar62
for this project
- Information here may not be 100% accurate
- Those who have knowledge on how to solve problems, please share.
- Everyone is welcome to contribute and test out this software
- Do report back, even a Ok! is also a form of feedback!
- Please Search Before Asking
Tracking Changes, One at a time.
06/03/10 - Added Milestone 0.5 on News Centre
04/12/09 - Changes to reflect update of new 0.4.2 release, updated and added a new FAQ Q, added a new video as well.
17/10/09 - Added Russian Translation
2/10/09 - Updated News Section / Added Date on Title / Removed Version number in thread
18/9/09 - Corrected Intro Description
17/9/09 - Re-enforced backup message.
15/9/09 - Added 0.4pre4, updated FAQ, took some redundant topics off as 0.4pre4 has new features build right into it.
9/9/09 - Added Change Log Section