Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,710 Members 44,608 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] InCall Lock - Lock Send/End buttons on incoming call

Tip us?

vangrieg
Old
(Last edited by vangrieg; 23rd September 2010 at 12:55 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Default [APP] InCall Lock - Lock Send/End buttons on incoming call

InCall Lock will temporarily disable Send (aka Talk, Green) and End (aka Red) hardware buttons when you receive an incoming call in order to prevent accidental call pickups/rejects while you are pulling your device out of your pocket. All other hardware buttons are untouched.

After you answer/reject your call the application will release the buttons, so you will be able to hang up, put calls on hold etc. using hardware buttons normally.

The application, after being launched, will remain resident in memory but will not use any CPU cycles at all as it relies on WM Notification system and doesn't do any polling. As it is using WM internal event system, it should work regardless of OS language, installed dialer etc.

This is a zero config application and has no options (yes, this is a feature). I personally needed an application that would do just this - temporarily block these buttons. If you need a device locker, try PocketShield or other available solutions.

How to use:
  • Install attached cab
  • Soft reset or launch "InCall Lock Toggle"
  • To enable/disable InCall Lock temporarily, use InCall Lock Toggle in your Programs menu.
  • To disable it permanently, just uninstall via Settings - Remove Programs
Requires .Net CF 3.5

Important note for HD2 users: the application won't lock the Send button on this device for some strange reason. If you want to lock it, you'll need to copy phone.lnk from \Windows\Start Menu\Programs to \Windows and rename it to long_send.lnk.

Known issues: the application will also lock the wired headset's answer button. There's no solution for this problem as of yet.

Important note: Unfortunately I cannot support this project anymore because of time constraints and the fact that I don't use a WM device anymore. I'm uploading the source (see attached zip file) so that somebody can develop the thing further. Thanks for understanding and all the positive feedback I've received!
Attached Files
File Type: cab vangrieg_InCall_Lock.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (10.9 KB, 5224 views)
File Type: zip InCall Keylock.zip - [Click for QR Code] (195.6 KB, 1149 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to vangrieg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Prof. Yaffle
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangrieg View Post
InCall Lock will temporarily disable Send (aka Talk, Green) and End (aka Red) hardware buttons when you receive an incoming call in order to prevent accidental call pickups/rejects while you are pulling your device out of your pocket. All other hardware buttons are untouched.
Thanks. I installed this earlier and just had my first call with it. Seemed to work perfectly.

Dmitry N
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Hmm... It doesn't seem to work on Topix 2.9.3. It has the Rhodium dialer. Can this be the culprit?
PS: I've only tested it on outgoing calls so far.

vangrieg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry N View Post
Hmm... It doesn't seem to work on Topix 2.9.3. It has the Rhodium dialer. Can this be the culprit?
No, it works with low-level keyboard hooks and WM Notifications so it should work on any device with WM5.0 and later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry N View Post
PS: I've only tested it on outgoing calls so far.
It only locks keys only when your phone is ringing, so it shouldn't even do anything on outgoing calls. It releases keys immediately when you answer or reject a call.

Dmitry N
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
It only locks keys only when your phone is ringing, so it shouldn't even do anything on outgoing calls. It releases keys immediately when you answer or reject a call.
Ha, my bad! OK, thanks for the app. It DOES work!

vua777
Old
Thanks Meter 90
confirm: work great with touch HD, must have!
* Phone: O2 Mini (Magician) ► O2 trion (Hermes) ► HTC Touch HD (Blackstone) & HD2 (Leo) ► White HTC One X (Endeavor) ► Red HTC One (M7)

* Tablet: Galaxy Tab Plus (P6200)

danielherrero
Old
Thanks Meter 227

DONATE TO ME
Congratulations. It works nice¡

apeko
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Several apps lock the keys during the incomming call. The touch HD needs to lock the virtuial HW keys during an incomming call AND during a call.You can use the power butten to unblank the screen then use the screen controls to end a call.
This will prevent hangups when using a bt head set and the phone is in your pocket.

vangrieg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeko View Post
Several apps lock the keys during the incomming call.
Well, maybe, but they usually come with something else I don't need (i.e. Pocket Shield or LML) or have bugs I can't live with (i.e. Pocket Shield continues to vibrate on incoming calls after I pick up the phone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeko View Post
The touch HD needs to lock the virtuial HW keys during an incomming call AND during a call.You can use the power butten to unblank the screen then use the screen controls to end a call.
This will prevent hangups when using a bt head set and the phone is in your pocket.
This has never happened to me, and I don't like the idea of locking buttons permanently (I use Green button to put calls on hold, for example, and using touchscreen for this purpose is much more complicated).

If you want a more complete locking solution, why not use a locker like LockDevice, for example? Or even standard lock? It can go hand in hand with InCall Lock. This way you will have buttons locked during the conversation AND prevent accidental presses when pulling your device out of your pocket.

I really don't want to make this program complicated and add options; when people start following this route neat little programs quickly turn into S2U2s. If there is a strong usecase I could theoretically add this functionality, it's not that difficult. I would advise to look at other solutions first though.

paalkr
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:

I really don't want to make this program complicated and add options; when people start following this route neat little programs quickly turn into S2U2s. If there is a strong usecase I could theoretically add this functionality, it's not that difficult. I would advise to look at other solutions first though.
Hi, I second that! Please keep this as small and simple as possible. As you say, there are always other solutions that can be used with or without InCall Lock to achieve more complicated behavior.

Thanks for a great little app!

Regards,
PK

Tags
lock, pocketshield