FORUMS

Which Lockscreen Security Type Do You Use?

From pattern locks to the controversial face unlock, there are a number of different ways you … more

Xposed 3.0 Alpha 3 Released

A new alpha for the Xposed framework is out and brings several bug fixes. You’ll only need to flash … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Custom ROMs vs. Modular Tweaks

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Mods and ROMs. Come with your opinions and feel free to … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[APP] InCall Lock - Lock Send/End buttons on incoming call

6th September 2009, 02:11 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
InCall Lock will temporarily disable Send (aka Talk, Green) and End (aka Red) hardware buttons when you receive an incoming call in order to prevent accidental call pickups/rejects while you are pulling your device out of your pocket. All other hardware buttons are untouched.

After you answer/reject your call the application will release the buttons, so you will be able to hang up, put calls on hold etc. using hardware buttons normally.

The application, after being launched, will remain resident in memory but will not use any CPU cycles at all as it relies on WM Notification system and doesn't do any polling. As it is using WM internal event system, it should work regardless of OS language, installed dialer etc.

This is a zero config application and has no options (yes, this is a feature). I personally needed an application that would do just this - temporarily block these buttons. If you need a device locker, try PocketShield or other available solutions.





How to use:
  • Install attached cab
  • Soft reset or launch "InCall Lock Toggle"
  • To enable/disable InCall Lock temporarily, use InCall Lock Toggle in your Programs menu.
  • To disable it permanently, just uninstall via Settings - Remove Programs
Requires .Net CF 3.5

Important note for HD2 users: the application won't lock the Send button on this device for some strange reason. If you want to lock it, you'll need to copy phone.lnk from \Windows\Start Menu\Programs to \Windows and rename it to long_send.lnk.

Known issues: the application will also lock the wired headset's answer button. There's no solution for this problem as of yet.

Important note: Unfortunately I cannot support this project anymore because of time constraints and the fact that I don't use a WM device anymore. I'm uploading the source (see attached zip file) so that somebody can develop the thing further. Thanks for understanding and all the positive feedback I've received!
Attached Files
File Type: cab vangrieg_InCall_Lock.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (10.9 KB, 5238 views)
File Type: zip InCall Keylock.zip - [Click for QR Code] (195.6 KB, 1166 views)
Last edited by vangrieg; 23rd September 2010 at 12:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to vangrieg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
6th September 2009, 06:24 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangrieg

InCall Lock will temporarily disable Send (aka Talk, Green) and End (aka Red) hardware buttons when you receive an incoming call in order to prevent accidental call pickups/rejects while you are pulling your device out of your pocket. All other hardware buttons are untouched.

Thanks. I installed this earlier and just had my first call with it. Seemed to work perfectly.
7th September 2009, 08:29 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Hmm... It doesn't seem to work on Topix 2.9.3. It has the Rhodium dialer. Can this be the culprit?
PS: I've only tested it on outgoing calls so far.
7th September 2009, 08:36 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry N

Hmm... It doesn't seem to work on Topix 2.9.3. It has the Rhodium dialer. Can this be the culprit?

No, it works with low-level keyboard hooks and WM Notifications so it should work on any device with WM5.0 and later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry N

PS: I've only tested it on outgoing calls so far.

It only locks keys only when your phone is ringing, so it shouldn't even do anything on outgoing calls. It releases keys immediately when you answer or reject a call.
7th September 2009, 08:47 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangrieg

It only locks keys only when your phone is ringing, so it shouldn't even do anything on outgoing calls. It releases keys immediately when you answer or reject a call.

Ha, my bad! OK, thanks for the app. It DOES work!
7th September 2009, 09:20 AM |#6  
vua777's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 94
 
More
confirm: work great with touch HD, must have!
7th September 2009, 11:32 AM |#7  
danielherrero's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 236
 
Donate to Me
More
Congratulations. It works nice¡
7th September 2009, 01:14 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Several apps lock the keys during the incomming call. The touch HD needs to lock the virtuial HW keys during an incomming call AND during a call.You can use the power butten to unblank the screen then use the screen controls to end a call.
This will prevent hangups when using a bt head set and the phone is in your pocket.
7th September 2009, 01:25 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeko

Several apps lock the keys during the incomming call.

Well, maybe, but they usually come with something else I don't need (i.e. Pocket Shield or LML) or have bugs I can't live with (i.e. Pocket Shield continues to vibrate on incoming calls after I pick up the phone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeko

The touch HD needs to lock the virtuial HW keys during an incomming call AND during a call.You can use the power butten to unblank the screen then use the screen controls to end a call.
This will prevent hangups when using a bt head set and the phone is in your pocket.

This has never happened to me, and I don't like the idea of locking buttons permanently (I use Green button to put calls on hold, for example, and using touchscreen for this purpose is much more complicated).

If you want a more complete locking solution, why not use a locker like LockDevice, for example? Or even standard lock? It can go hand in hand with InCall Lock. This way you will have buttons locked during the conversation AND prevent accidental presses when pulling your device out of your pocket.

I really don't want to make this program complicated and add options; when people start following this route neat little programs quickly turn into S2U2s. If there is a strong usecase I could theoretically add this functionality, it's not that difficult. I would advise to look at other solutions first though.
7th September 2009, 01:58 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Flag Hønefoss
Thanks Meter: 51
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangrieg


I really don't want to make this program complicated and add options; when people start following this route neat little programs quickly turn into S2U2s. If there is a strong usecase I could theoretically add this functionality, it's not that difficult. I would advise to look at other solutions first though.

Hi, I second that! Please keep this as small and simple as possible. As you say, there are always other solutions that can be used with or without InCall Lock to achieve more complicated behavior.

Thanks for a great little app!

Regards,
PK
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lock, pocketshield
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes