No device found ONLY during fastboot - help needed please

13th September 2009, 05:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I've been reading up about what to do after I tried to "factory reset" my phone and then was stuck at the htc start up soon, which kept looping.

I've been trying to load recovery.img during fastboot (back+power) and then to apply update.zip during recovery (home+power).

However, the problem is that during fastboot, the device isn't recognized (when I go to adb devices on command prompt, no device is listed). I know that my drivers are good bc the device is found when I start up in the recovery mode. I tried to skip the part where I load recovery.img (since when I try to do that, it tells me that it can't be loaded), and to go straight to apply update.zip, but then the phone tells me that update.zip is either bad or can't be mounted.

I have a Rogers Magic (32A). I am a complete newbie, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I should also say that before I tried to do the factor reset, the phone was on the hero rom loaded by a previous user.
13th September 2009, 06:19 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 24

60 posts
try this:

boot in recovery:

fastboot boot recovery.img

then, push update.zip on your sd card ( need a good rom in the tools folder on your computer)

adb shell mount /sdcard
adb push update.zip /sdcard

and apply update.zip with the recovery menu.
13th September 2009, 09:57 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
thanks for your reply, but it didn't work:

first, it said "cannot load recovery.img"

and then when I tried to mount, it said "mount: mounting dev/block/mmcblk0p1 on /sdcard failed: Device or resource busy"
14th September 2009, 11:02 AM   |  #4  

60 posts
replace recovery to correct path to your recovery image. (your phone mut be in fastboot mode power with back button pressed)

ex:

fastboot boot c:\sdk\tools\recovery-RAv1.2.1G.img

then your phone must boot on recovery and you could push update.zip
14th September 2009, 03:10 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
thanks so much. I figued it out - just a simple problem of the update.zip file being corrupt.
19th September 2010, 01:18 AM   |  #6  
Charleston, SC

386 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pato17

thanks so much. I figued it out - just a simple problem of the update.zip file being corrupt.

i am having the same issues.

any help?
19th September 2010, 02:21 AM   |  #7  
Flag Suffolk, VA
Thanks Meter: 162

1,593 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmods

i am having the same issues.

any help?

What exactly have you tried to do?

Sent from my HTC Magic using XDA App
19th September 2010, 11:11 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Developer
Flag Exeter, UK
Thanks Meter: 747

3,405 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi. My magic is having the same issues. Although I believe it is my own doing. I was going to create a gold card and I flashed the sappimg.zip, I can boot the phone into fastboot but it us not seen, when I run the fast boot command it just says waiting on device..
I can boot the phone up normally but it does not want to connect to the market our link my gmail account to it..
All to jailbreak... Any ideas?

Edit....
I must have had a poor internet connection last night. I have got the market working.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
17th July 2011, 05:40 PM   |  #9  

4 posts
I am having the same problem.

I have a 32b on vodafone uk.

all the device adb drivers have installed fine. I have tried this on both my laptop and desktop (win 7) and when the phone is turned on - it shows fine under adb devices.

When i boot to fastboot, the phone doesnt show, and therefore i cannot load a custom rom.

Trying to root the phone I have so far used the goldcard method to downgrade to get back to 1.5, if i try to flash the recovery img from the phone (using flash rec) then when i boot to recovery (home+power) it hangs on the vodafone screen - this is why i wont to flash from fastboot.

any ideas?

Thanks
26th September 2011, 08:00 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 7

39 posts
phone rooted?
FlashRec is out of date, I'm pretty sure. Is your phone rooted already, or are you at stock?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread