Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,793 Members 41,563 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

does anyone know the sprint hero price without contract?

Tip us?

kylez64
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Question does anyone know the sprint hero price without contract?

I'm looking to upgrade from my dream to the hero.

The phone from Sprint is 180 w/ contract.

I want to get the phone and unlock it.

Does anyone know how much the phone Withought the contract is?

Thanks in advance
My Devices
Nexus 4
Transformer Prime
I9250 Galaxy Nexus
Sensation
G2
Nexus One
Sprint Hero (Never again!)
G1

Be Like Water - Bruce Lee

tsekh501
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Sprint is a CDMA network. It doesn't use SIM card, and the user data is stored on the phone. You cannot use it on other networks.

So getting it without contract is just... without contract. You need to be on Sprint's network for it to work.

kylez64
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
well looks like im switching to sprint lol

sorry for my ignorance
My Devices
Nexus 4
Transformer Prime
I9250 Galaxy Nexus
Sensation
G2
Nexus One
Sprint Hero (Never again!)
G1

Be Like Water - Bruce Lee

JBachman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsekh501 View Post
Sprint is a CDMA network. It doesn't use SIM card, and the user data is stored on the phone. You cannot use it on other networks.

So getting it without contract is just... without contract. You need to be on Sprint's network for it to work.

Ummmm.... JUst cause it's a CDMA network, doesn't limit it to Sprint. It can be unlocked & flased to Metro PCS, US Cellular, Page Plus, Virgin, Verizion and numerous other local or regional CDMA networks. Just need to have the know-how.

pknyo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default $599

Bestbuy`s going to charge $599 to buy it out right. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218120547637

tsekh501
Old
(Last edited by tsekh501; 19th September 2009 at 04:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
Ummmm.... JUst cause it's a CDMA network, doesn't limit it to Sprint. It can be unlocked & flased to Metro PCS, US Cellular, Page Plus, Virgin, Verizion and numerous other local or regional CDMA networks. Just need to have the know-how.
Theoretically you can swap the radio chip inside and add a sim card slot too add GSM support too. I don't want to waste time arguing with you on that, but if you do know how to unlock a Sprint CDMA phone to use on Verizon yourself, congrats, you can make big bucks with that knowledge.

BTW, to those who are considering getting onto Sprint for the Hero, note that Sprint's network cannot do voice and data simultaneously, so if you are downloading stuff, you won't be able to receive. It's like the GPRS problem on GSM network, it's just that current Sprint network faces that problem even on 3G.

shark1987
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsekh501 View Post
Theoretically you can swap the radio chip inside and add a sim card slot too add GSM support too. I don't want to waste time arguing with you on that, but if you do know how to unlock a Sprint CDMA phone to use on Verizon yourself, congrats, you can make big bucks with that knowledge.

BTW, to those who are considering getting onto Sprint for the Hero, note that Sprint's network cannot do voice and data simultaneously, so if you are downloading stuff, you won't be able to receive. It's like the GPRS problem on GSM network, it's just that current Sprint network faces that problem even on 3G.
that's not true, if you are downloading something and someone calls the download stops and the call is recieved. atleast that is how it has worked with my touch pro, vogue, and titan.

Aridon
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknyo View Post
Bestbuy`s going to charge $599 to buy it out right. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218120547637
Yah I'm just going to add a line, cancel my current line with the Palm Pre and good enough. Gotta love Google Voice.

Figure I can maybe sell my Pre for the cost of the ETF. Although there isn't much demand for them for obvious reasons.

foxmeister
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
As I understand, CDMA networks need to register the ESN of your device to their network, but most CDMA networks (at least Sprint and Verizon) no longer allow the registration of ESNs that were originally registered to other networks. Apparently Verizon used to allow 3rd party ESNs, but no longer do this, but I cannot find any "official" confirmation of this.

i.e. if you have a Sprint phone, it will have a Sprint ESN and Verizon would refuse to add this to their database.

I believe there are methods to clone another ESN onto a new phone, but I've no idea how "legal" this is.

Regards,

Dave

JBachman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmeister View Post
As I understand, CDMA networks need to register the ESN of your device to their network, but most CDMA networks (at least Sprint and Verizon) no longer allow the registration of ESNs that were originally registered to other networks. Apparently Verizon used to allow 3rd party ESNs, but no longer do this, but I cannot find any "official" confirmation of this.

i.e. if you have a Sprint phone, it will have a Sprint ESN and Verizon would refuse to add this to their database.

I believe there are methods to clone another ESN onto a new phone, but I've no idea how "legal" this is.

Regards,

Dave
I never made mention of the legalities of the process.... I was just stating that it can be done. I do it for Metro phones all the time. I also "heard" it is possible to unlock unlimited data for smartphones on Metro as well.....