OP salamandar

7th November 2009, 05:03 PM   |  #201  
Recognized Developer
Flag Walnutport, PA
Thanks Meter: 41

1,086 posts
Donate to Me
More
Using the Flashrec app will not root the phone. It will allow you to flash a custom recovery image which would hopefully allow us to flash a rooted rom. That is how we would get root. Now, is it possible that the app "thinks" it is flashing the image but it's not but it definitely is doing something as all we get is the htc logo. We are on the right path.

And the way I get the HTC logo is by booting into fastboot (rebooting phone and holding volume down and power). I then hit the home key which boots into recovery. Normally recovery shows an exclamation point or a box with an arrow. I can't remember. By just showing the HTC logo I believe what is happening is that it is flashing correctly however it doesnt seem to work because the image has to be customized for the sprint hero. I may be wrong but that makes the most sense to me right now.
7th November 2009, 05:04 PM   |  #202  
Flag Columbus OHIO
Thanks Meter: 7

130 posts
More
ok i have been following along with this and have the recovery image made. i am interested to the possibilitys that rooting brings to the software side of the hero. in what way does that apk give me root access on my phone. i want to run root required programs from the marketplace and am interested in how this allows me to do that.

(totaly took to long to ask the question) awnserd above^
7th November 2009, 05:15 PM   |  #203  
Thanks Meter: 3

893 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckhriczko

Using the Flashrec app will not root the phone. It will allow you to flash a custom recovery image which would hopefully allow us to flash a rooted rom. That is how we would get root. Now, is it possible that the app "thinks" it is flashing the image but it's not but it definitely is doing something as all we get is the htc logo. We are on the right path.

And the way I get the HTC logo is by booting into fastboot (rebooting phone and holding volume down and power). I then hit the home key which boots into recovery. Normally recovery shows an exclamation point or a box with an arrow. I can't remember. By just showing the HTC logo I believe what is happening is that it is flashing correctly however it doesnt seem to work because the image has to be customized for the sprint hero. I may be wrong but that makes the most sense to me right now.

ok... my bad... I see what you're talking about. I can confirm that my phone does the same thing. I also took the backup image, flashed it back to the phone and went into recovery (now that I know what the steps are) and I got the picture of an exclamation point next to a phone.

So... I guess that says that flashrec is working correctly (since it can flash an HTC image back to the phone). We just need to wait for Amon Ra to update that image.

btw: I also tried going into Amon Ra's recovery menu with USB connected and it hangs there too.
7th November 2009, 05:16 PM   |  #204  
Account currently disabled
Flag Flagstaff
Thanks Meter: 25

392 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hey on the FlashRec page is says

Also uses CVE-2009-3547 , which is patched in firmwares released after November 2009, requires PREEMPT, and requires mmap_min_addr to be disabled.

is there a way to check if we have PREEMPT enabled, and mmap_min_addr disabled? I'm not good with linux but if it says Required, then we should definately check to make sure these settings are enabled/disabled.

edit:

I have tried what you guys are talking about and yes recovery mode hangs, but when i restore the backup recovery i do get the exclamation mark... So good news it seems to be working.... Bad news.... Waiting for an updated recovery img that works for our hero's. You even think Cynogen or Amon ra will make us a compatible one?
Last edited by wasupwithuman; 7th November 2009 at 05:35 PM.
7th November 2009, 05:37 PM   |  #205  
Recognized Developer
Flag Walnutport, PA
Thanks Meter: 41

1,086 posts
Donate to Me
More
Does anyone have firmware after November? Mine is October or before as I assume most of ours is.
7th November 2009, 05:46 PM   |  #206  
Account currently disabled
Flag Flagstaff
Thanks Meter: 25

392 posts
Donate to Me
More
Not sure, but I'm pretty sure HTC hasn't updated anything with the latest exploit yet.
Ok, well now that it is done (so we think) I have created a thread in the Hero Android Development forum with a call for help for a Custom Recovery Image (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=4897227) I had asked any developers to post it in there, so we could try it out.
7th November 2009, 07:09 PM   |  #207  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 56

1,019 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pooh

If the phone were actually rooted, wouldn't you be able to run CacheMate? Has anyone tested that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasupwithuman

is there any free programs on the market that require root? I flashed the Amon RA as well, and i just get to the clear storage screen, so i'm thinking it doesnt even flash the image... If it did, we should atleast end up with a different recovery screen, or a brick :/
The slow depressed feeling is setting in again... but atleast there is some progress made.

PicSay is a free app in the market that requires root access to take screenshots. I would say that's an easy way to check if you have actually rooted the device...

Which it now appears that the device is not rooted, but definitely much further along. I really wish i knew programming, or linux so i could help, but im a graphics kind of guy. Photoshop, and a Canon camera are my trade tools.
7th November 2009, 07:11 PM   |  #208  
Thanks Meter: 1

293 posts
Loving the progress...Looks like a step in the right direction for the Hero...Can't wait to root my device so I can get Apps2Sd..
7th November 2009, 07:12 PM   |  #209  
Thanks Meter: 3

893 posts
Just found this on the Sprint community.

download the attached asroot2.zip and unzip it (can't upload something with no extension. Plus, I didn't want to risk binary data getting corrupt somehow.

Code:
adb push asroot2 /data/local/ 
adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
adb shell
/data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh

Quote:

$ /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh
[+] Using newer pipe_inode_info layout
Opening: /proc/857/fd/3
SUCCESS: Enjoy the shell.
#

Edit: I was able to remount /system as rw, and chmod it 777 and then use adb push to push a dummy file to /system!!!

I remember reading someplace about changing the owner of shell? or something so that it always runs as root? I know there's a simple step missing her to give everything root access to the phone... anybody know off the top of their head?

Edit: here's how to get SU to run!!!

while you're root (after doing the above) do this:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/bin
cat sh > su
chmod 4755 su
Now... you can exit out of the shell, adb shell again... you're regular user. su and you're root!
So... should we chmod 4755 sh and then we're always root? What about setting adbd to run as root?
Attached Files
File Type: zip asroot2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (44.5 KB, 44761 views)
Last edited by jmanley69; 7th November 2009 at 07:22 PM.
7th November 2009, 07:52 PM   |  #210  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 56

1,019 posts
More
Dl PicSay from the Market and see if it will let you take a screen shot.
Last edited by Negrito; 7th November 2009 at 08:00 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread